Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member Introductions

Default New cat on the block

Happy New Year everybody!

New girl (29) on the block would like to introduce herself;
    but you have to excuse my English, I'm Dutch, fortunately learning quickly. Does anybody need a dentalhygienist in the Tribeca region?
    I'm graduating this year. Little question, why is New York called Big Apple?

greetings,

Wittykitty

Forum Veteran

Hi, your English is perfect. And I <3 kitties.

Default Wow

Wow that's a fast reply!
    I live together with a little black feline.
    My cat thinks that I'am her older sister, which causes a little problem;
    cats think it's okay to bite your big sister when you feel like it.
    She's a bloody little black vampire, I can never take a man home, for I'm always kind of worried she'll taste him before I can do!

Wittykitty

There are a lot of stories about how NY got the nickname Big Apple.

It was popularized in the 1930s by jazz musicians, who referred to a gig in NY as the Big Apple.

In the 1920s, a reporter named John Fitzgerald wrote a horseracing column for the New York Morning Telegraph called "Around the Big Apple." In 1924, FitzGerald wrote that he first heard the term used by stable hands in New Orleans. The goal of horse trainers and jockeys was to race at the NY tracks - the Big Apple.

NY govt now accepts this version as official. The corner of W 54th St & Broadway, FitzGerald's home for 30 years, is called "Big Apple Corner."

Forward this message to your cat, as she seems to be in complete control of your life.

Thank you dear!

Wittykitty and accomplice

The Dude Abides

Default New Member Pianoman11686

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know I've recently joined the forum. I've been following it for several months now and am very excited to witness the new developments in NYC. I'm living at Duke University right now, but my home is in Jersey, about an hour from the city. I went to high school in Manhattan, and grew up in Queens, so I still think I'm a New Yorker and I'm proud of it. I can't wait until I'm older when I can live there full time. By then it'll probably be a totally different city. Anyway, looking forward to more exciting news. See ya!

Welcome aboard. I'm a former NYer living outside Philly. I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Forum Veteran

Welcome!

Talking Greetings All, New Member Here.

Hello,

Ninja Mantis here, your newest member.

I was watching a program on WLIW and there was a thing about wild Parrots in New York, in Brooklyn to be precise. It was a short clip and left me hungry to know more about these wild Parrots in my city.

I did a search on the web and wella...discovered your site.

Weird, huh?

Anyway...soon as I registered and logged on, one of the first names I see is a Ninja Hedge...I had to laugh. Can the world handle two ninjas on the same site?

Anyway, I'm a big boxing fan and post on lots of boxing forums. I was impressed with the quality of threads at this site and plan to come here and contribute my thoughts to the discourse here. It seems like a nice cozy site.

Ninja Mantis

Forum Veteran

Hihi, bring a ninja kitten please.

Forum Veteran

A kitten who is proficient in martial arts. See:

Banned Member

Welcome to the board.

I actually caught sght of the parrots in Central Park about 9 years ago. Very interestng. They were very noisy. The think I found most interesting was that, where most birds will flutter upward if upset while perched in a tree, these birds came barreling downward. Very strange. They were fascinating to watch.

Brooklyn gets great birds year round, but especially, it seems, in Winter. I put feed out on my fire escape and get all sorts.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast