Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LES Pathmark may get new condo tower

i think that pathmark is the highest grossiing supermarket in manhattan.

Also, i think they still have about 40 years on their lease, hence the previous proposals calling for it to remain open- but who knows

^ Will they build a parking garage for the Pathmark?

theres actually already an underground garage under pathmark. the entrance is in the rear off southstreet.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friedrice View Post
    i think that pathmark is the highest grossiing supermarket in manhattan.
    I find that totally illogical and hard to believe. How can a forlorn looking store that's not only NOT expanding but actually in retreat is the most lucrative in all of Manhattan?

Unless you have something more concrete to back that up, I think I'll trust my intuition that they are in trouble.

According to the NY Sun the highest grossing Pathmark is at 125 / Lex (bottom of page 2) ...

The highest grossing Pathmark in the chain is located on 125th Street and
    Lexington Avenue and the second is at 146th Street and Bradhurst Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by investordude View Post
    I have to say that seems like a really silly reason not to build this - worrying about keeping a pathmark. It's called supply and demand - if there is demand for a supermarket (which there would be if this closes) another one will sprout up, either in the base of this tower or is some underutilized space around there. Meanwhile, the area will get new residents whose buying power will help attract additional retail and help the neighborhood grow, so that it isn't a place where the loss of 1 supermarket has a major impact on people's lives.
    Building just to build, and rid something considered to some an eyesore, seems an even sillier reason to me. Not to mention, if the current design is what we'll see, I dont see whats so great about it.

There is no "current design", unless you have some insider knowledge. Those sketches are just massing studies.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    As for all the crying about the supermarket, Pathmark is an old-style grocery chain that just doesn't work anymore, in Manhattan. Management knows that and so they're looking to get out.

Economics tells us that eventually somebody will come in to fill its void that better meets the needs of the changing demographics of the city. Whole Foods is an example.
    I'd take a PathMark over another Whole Foods any day. Not everyone can afford to shop at Whole Foods, so it cant fill the entire void.
    Last edited by NewYorkDoc; November 5th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    There is no "current design", unless you have some insider knowledge. Those sketches are just massing studies.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see what we get.

A YIMBY Crowd Rallies on the Lower East Side

By Mathew R. Warren
    December 20, 2007, 3:20 pm

It’s not every day that a community rallies in support of a chain store. But that is what a group of Lower East Side and Chinatown residents did today, in support of the Pathmark at 227 Cherry Street. Call them YIMBY’s. Yes in my backyard.

Of course, they are opposed to something — namely, the possibility that the supermarket will be sold for $250 million to make way for luxury condos.
    About 100 demonstrators armed with petitions gathered at the store, holding signs that read “Stop Gentrification!” and chanting, “$250 million for condos we can’t live in, that’s crazy!”

Harvey Epstein, a Lower East Side resident who is director of the Community Development Project at the Urban Justice Center, said, “If they put in luxury condos it’s going to bring in higher income people. It will further spur gentrification and result in the displacement of our low-income people.”

The protest was organized by O.U.R. Waterfront (Organizing and Uniting Residents on the Waterfront), an alliance of community-based organizations. The demonstrators were joined by Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, and representatives from the offices of State Senator Martin Conner and City Councilman Alan Gerson.

“As elected officials, it is our job to listen to the voices of the community and act in their best interest,” Ms. Gotbaum said. “We need this Pathmark to remain open as a symbol of our commitment to listening to New York’s communities.”

The immediate area includes more than 20 public housing residences, and the Pathmark on Cherry Street has served the neighborhood’s lower-income population for more than two decades.

“If I had to go someplace else, it would be at least six blocks away, and it would be very difficult for me,” said Gussie Lamar, 84, who lives just across the street from the supermarket and uses a wheelchair.

Not only would they lose a supermarket in an area with few consumer options, residents said, but they also depend on the Pathmark’s affordable prices, which they said they would be unable to find at other locations.

Ed Novack, 71, a lifelong resident of the Lower East Side, held up a receipt that listed his total savings from using his Pathmark card for the year at $1,116.03.

“I can’t afford to go shopping anywhere else,” said Mr. Novak, who lives on a fixed income.

GOLES (Good Old Lower East Side), a community group, handed out surveys to residents for a report they plan to present the Community Board 3.

“Residents are generally kicked out of the process of deciding what comes in and what goes out of their community,” said Angel Seda, 26, a community organizer for GOLES, who was raised in the nearby Jacob Riis Houses. “This survey is a community assessment to show what the people want in area.”

Workers at the Pathmark declined to comment about the protest, but a manager, who would not give his name, said he had yet to hear anything definitive about the supermarket closing.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

More NIMBY B.S.

There are two similarly-priced supermarkets within a few blocks of the Pathmark. Nobody will go without food. There are about a million much cheaper, much healthier grocery options in Chinatown, which is basically across the street.

Nobody will be replaced by the luxury development. If you are poor and living in Manhattan in 2007, you do not pay market rents. These people are mostly in protected public or Mitchell-Lama housing, with maybe a handful in rent control and HPD/HUD programs. It's irrelevent what happens to the local market rates, since none of them are subject to the market.

I was about to say. What they're calling for is bordering on the absurd. Let's say the Pathmark some way or another goes out of business, does that mean that in order for these people to have continued access to a grocery store, perhaps the government will then have to provide that, too?

They live in these horribly designed towers-in-the-park projects that if they were designed well, would have retail on the ground floor and thus this problem of not having stores nearby wouldn't be a problem. In other words, the very buildings they are living in are the cause of their problems, not some other offsite property.

The Dude Abides

Something tells me these people, while "for" Pathmark, would be against Wal-Mart if it were to be the retail anchor for this new development.

You're right. Walmart sucks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast