Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

I haven't really watched any movies today. Got home from school and just watched TV lol. So I'll rate the last movie I watched.. which was yesterday. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Damn fine movie. Love the bit at the end when Voldemort has that ball of light, and then there's a split second of silence before it explodes...

I also watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show yesterday (haha! Aren't I like, not even a teenager yet?? ). I actually love that film! The plot is just so crazy and.. outside the box. And the songs are actually pretty catchy. I'm not a fan of musicals (EEEEEWWWWW HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!! ) but RHPS is actually quite good. And Hairspray wasn't bad either.

But don't take my word for it.. I'm not even allowed to drive yet.

I walked out of "Redacted" (the new Iraq film from Brian De Palma) after about 30 minutes -- I hardly ever do that but I felt so manipulated in such a strange way and knew they were trying to suck me in with "character" stuff before they let loose with some terrible violent sequence.

There was hardly a moment in that first 30 minutes that seemed truthful in regard to how human beings behave. I think it is mostly a case of some awkward writing (lots of warrior posturing) and unfortunate / bad direction of the actors.

21 Grams...

I am a huge Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu fan and finally got around to watching 21 Grams, the only feature film of his that I had yet to see. Loved every minute of it, with an all-star cast (Sean Penn-- AMAZING) and his signature plot techniques and interwoven story lines, I was glued from start to finish. Although my favorite is still Amores Perros, this movie is going to become a part of my DVD collection

Banned Member

I watched "300" this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be a movie of homoerotic imagery, ceaseless gore, and no plot. It was very stylish and the plot actually offered some interesting moments of dialogue that were very well-suited toward current world events. The physiques were obviously great, but not distracting, and the acting was rather fine.

The Dude Abides

Saw "No Country for Old Men" today. Fantastic, classic-style thriller. Grade A stuff from the Coen Brothers.

Banned Member

I saw "Enchanted" last night. Movie tickets are up to $12 for adults and that seems to be the tipping point for me. The theater was packed. People chatted without thought to the fact that there were 400 other people around. The heat was on too high. Concessions folks are rude. Ushers congregate and do nothing. We the auditorium exited to the lobby to find cops everywhere due to an "incident."A fight broke out and the cops were called. I'm done with these theaters.

Anyway, "Enchanted" was a romantic comedy. It was good - Amy Adams was incredible. Not a movie for "the guys" to go see on a night out after a beer or two, but good. There were some funny scenes, but I went in expecting more.

I watched "Chicken Little" and "The 39 Steps" today.

"Chicken Little" was very entertaining and had some great sight gags. One of the better animated features of late. It also featured contemporary rock & pop music. A good family film and a great film to watch after you smoke a joint.

"The 39 Steps" is better appreciated by people who are or want to be versed in the history of movie making. It is an early Hitchcock and only 80 minutes long. However, the shots and lighting set the stage for films to come. The book is considered one of the best mystery thrillers ever. The movie was, uh, not so best ever.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; December 2nd, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Was that viewing in preparation for the new stage version of "The 39 Steps" (opening in January at the Roundabout on W. 42nd -- in the great old theater now clumsily named after a corporate sponsor ).

Banned Member

^I didn't know about that. Thanks.

I saw "Rescue Dawn." Good movie. Will someone please give Christian Bale an Oscar already. He is one of the best actors working today.

Banned Member

I saw "The Diary of Anne Frank." It was interesting, especially after visiting the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam. The story was constructed well, the acting was uneven at best. Still it is one of the storoes most people should know.

The 1959 film?

Banned Member

That's the one. Shelly Winters won an Academy Award for her role.

I never read the book. It seemed a straight cut and paste of the play.

I imagine I should just put the book on my reading list and see what Anne had to say in her own words.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Speaking of Christian Bale, he was great in the Dylan movie I'm Not There (which is still at Film Forum) as was just about everyone.

Also just saw 49 Up, which had been sitting on the DVR for a long time. After 35 Up -- which was really depressing, because all the subjects seemed to be divorcing and the lower-class ones seemed really bitter -- this was great, because almost everyone seemed to be at peace with themselves.

ali r.
    Last edited by Front_Porch; December 11th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Marv.bmp

Gotta watch this classic for the holidays. And go buy Superbad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Saw "No Country for Old Men" today. Fantastic, classic-style thriller. Grade A stuff from the Coen Brothers.
    I just saw this too, phenomenal.

Just won the NY Critics' Circle awards for direction, writing, and supporting actor, too!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Was that viewing in preparation for the new stage version of "The 39 Steps" (opening in January at the Roundabout on W. 42nd -- in the great old theater now clumsily named after a corporate sponsor ).

Is it just me or does the guy in the poster look like Conan Obrien?

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast