Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I Am Legend -- the Will Smith vs. the zombies movie -- has some absolutely incredible shots of New York.

i am going to see it tomorrow cant wait!!

I am Legend was a pretty decent flick. Chilling looking at the city like that.

Yeah i really liked it also, most reviews ive read pick issues with 'unrealistic' effects but in my mind i had no ill effect. I would have liked it too have lasted a little longer also, i expected a little more distance from the storyline.

Last Monday I went to the cinema: I saw "Across the universe". It's an original musical film. Good dancers, nice soundtrack (all the most famous Beatles' songs). There was also my favourite singer (Bono Vox - U2). That's the history: a dock worker goes to America from Liverpool in the 1960s to know his father. There he falls in love with an american teenager. When her brother is drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, they become involved in peace activism.

Bono is awesome as Dr. Robert in Across the Universe (and Eddie Izzard is totally sick as Mr. Kite).

It has ome good imagery and of course the songs are great, but the plotting is rather stilted and ridiculous.

If you have a really big screen TV then I'd say watch it at home.
    Last edited by lofter1; December 16th, 2007 at 10:43 AM.

Beowulf! I saw this movie in 3D, which introduces entirely different dimension to viewing experience; very appropriate for the fairy tale. I also liked that the movie had the feeling of Greek mythology, and not the common strict division between good and bad characters.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Yeah i really liked it also, most reviews ive read pick issues with 'unrealistic' effects but in my mind i had no ill effect. I would have liked it too have lasted a little longer also, i expected a little more distance from the storyline.
    I agree it could've been longer, I felt the ending was kind of a let down. The shots of NY is what I really enjoyed though, I would love to walk around an empty city, but only for a day as its the people that make NY. I thought it was interesting that the shot of the UN had the UN in its reflection.

I felt let down by the ending also. The imagery was rather haunting and extremely impactive because of this, quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    . I would have liked it too have lasted a little longer also, i expected a little more distance from the storyline.
    I just said this in a pm to a member here. I think this movie could have been a lot "grander" in scale and depth. So much potential. Especially since it's really only over a couple day's time.

I saw it this afternoon with my father for his b-day. I really enjoyed the psychology aspect of it.

The fact that when he had to put his dog down I felt terrible for him because he was so broken up because that was the last living thing he could truly interact with on a personal level it was the last friend he had. It shows that depserate need for basic human contact when he talks to the manquin woman and keeps begging it to please say hello. Also how heset up the maniquins and talked to them like they were neighbors he would see going to the video store. Also he returned the videos on a daily basis when he could have easily just taken them. It was him creating a sense of order where there was none just to keep his sanity.

All in all in a very visual, emotional, and psychological film. Made a very large impact on me. I mean think about it, maybe we aren't on top of the food chain and the viruses and bacteria are. It is a very humbling thought .

The Dude Abides

Saw I Am Legend today, and liked it very much. I only wish I hadn't read any reviews beforehand, because I think it spoiled some of the movie. In general, I was pleasantly surprised by how it was done, and Will Smith was pretty spot-on.

Note of interest: the length of the entire movie, you see screenshots of Manhattan streets with weeds and other plants growing out of the concrete. There's one scene that pans over the Highline, which - curiously - remains bare. Just thought it was ironic that the one spot where wildlife flourished in reality remained lifeless in the movie.

The Dude Abides

BTW, JCMan: you may want to put a "spoiler" warning before your post.

Default SPOILER Alert - I AM LEGEND

Now that it has earned a half a gazillion dollars it seems OK to ask some questions:

How did Anna / Alice Braga and her kid get their car into Manhattan?

All bridges & tunnels were blown up, right? And they are on an ISLAND ...

And how does Anna get OFF the island to get to Vermont (which is a rather obvious choice for the destination: Vermont = hippy colony / paradise)?

For me once Anna & the kid appeared on the scene the movie turned to total BS. Adding the boy was the obvious "there is hope" (he shall lead the next generation!). The 3rd act would have been far more interesting if she had been alone and Will's character (knowing the fate of his wife and kid) is compelled (perhaps to his own surprise) to increase & multiply (echoes of Children of Men from last year). She too knows that for the sake of mankind that propagation is the #1 concern.

Passion ensues. Animalistic. Savage. But very human. And Beautiful. And ends with the mystery of successful conception -- or no?

Instead we get these really bad passages of dialog about Rasta Bob (who deserves far better).

Finally, the most important of questions:

How do these folks keep their cars so clearn?

That red Mustang was detailed within an inch of it's life

I agree with everything you just said L1. There was alot more potential in there.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast