Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Banned Member

I saw a couple....

The African Queen - An A+++++ classic with Hepburn & Bogart

Crazy Heart - Much better than I had anticpated. Bridges was great. Maggie Gylnhaal was perfection.

I couldn't sit through a couple...

La Dolce Vita - Classic or not, masterpiece or not, I found it unbearable to watch after an hour. Costumes were gorgeous. Cinematography was wonderful. I wouldn't recommemd it - period.

The Informant - I couldn't get past the music. After 40 minutes, I bailed. My partner did finish viewing it and confirmed my expectation of the plot ending. It was an annoying film and that music just grated on me completely.

Default The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

A+

Without a doubt, the best movie I have seen in at least two years. It is a phenomenal film, a truly great piece of filmmaking! It's not often you'll hear audience applause after a movie, but that's exactly what happened tonight. I will probably go see it tomorrow, again. It is THAT good.

Be forewarned: this is an INTENSE film, not for any squeamish types. There are scenes in this movie that will burn into your memory, whether you want it to, or not. This is a film for adults, period. You absolutely get your money's worth, at two hours plus, with no filler.

SEE THIS MOVIE!

Update, 7/5/10: Have now seen this movie twice.
    Last edited by Bob; July 6th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    A+

Without a doubt, the best movie I have seen in at least two years. It is a phenomenal film, a truly great piece of filmmaking! It's not often you'll hear audience applause after a movie, but that's exactly what happened tonight. I will probably go see it tomorrow, again. It is THAT good.

Be forewarned: this is an INTENSE film, not for any squeamish types. There are scenes in this movie that will burn into your memory, whether you want it to, or not. This is a film for adults, period. You absolutely get your money's worth, at two hours plus, with no filler.

SEE THIS MOVIE!
    Is it really as good as Inglourious Basterds?
    Last edited by ablarc; May 22nd, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

So this is what you meant about dupe posts!

Just saw "UP". Cute flik, although the first 20 minutes are the sweetest.

The rest has its funny parts, but some things, like the voice of the Retriever, and the simple physical impossibilities (stacking up one after another) started to bug me. You can accept some things, but when they go too far (like using sails to steer a baloon house?) it gets harder to ignore...

meh.

Worth a rental though. The animation was very smooth and a lot of work went into the character creation, motion, and modeling. Definitely good w/kids.

Banned Member

I saw Ironman 2. Movies are getting expensive in the city (now up to $13 a ticket). There's got to be a lot of bang for those bucks. Ironman 2 ws excellent and folks on this site will appreciate some of the settings for STARK EXPO in the film.

I paid more ($18.50!!!) fto see Ironman 2 with the "new" RDX experience at Regal on 42nd -- not worth the extra $$ -- it's just louder.

But it was cool to see the recreations of the settings noted by BR.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I saw Ironman 2. Movies are getting expensive in the city (now up to $13 a ticket). There's got to be a lot of bang for those bucks. Ironman 2 ws excellent and folks on this site will appreciate some of the settings for STARK EXPO in the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I paid more ($18.50!!!) fto see Ironman 2 with the "new" RDX experience at Regal on 42nd -- not worth the extra $$ -- it's just louder.

But it was cool to see the recreations of the settings noted by BR.
    Saw Ironman 2 Friday. I thought it was just "mehhh..."

Tough to get a good sequel I guess.

oh btw I paid $6.50

That's the right price for this one

But at least we get better Dr Pepper and BK Burgers for it!!!!!!

"The Secret of Their Eyes", an Argentine film i really enjoyed last night.
    Great acting, drama and whodunit twists, laced with comedy. Some beautiful architecture in the court building where the main characters work.
    I liked this very much, though the beginning was a bit slow in getting warmed up. At 2 hours and 36 minutes, you'll need to have some time set aside but it was worth it. A good movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Anyone seen "Robin Hood" since its release on Friday? Opinions? I'm not sure whether to see it yet.

The new Sherlock Homes.

Meh.

Decent special effects, some nice cinimatography and CGI, some funny bits, but overall not that good.

Physics is ignored left and right (most notably with things like the way ship shoring was dispatched with a hammer, a chain crane flying through the air as if pulled on rubber bands, and a physically impossible cantelevered truss system for building London Bridge).

The plot was mediocre, Jude Law seems to be limping half the movie and jumping through flaming hoops the other half. Chemistry is also ignored for the most part, and impossible things liek a multiple charge stun rod.....

Achie! Enough. Rent it if you like Downey and Jude, but that is about it. Rent it also if you had no problem with physcal impossibilities that just do not give youthat punch-in-the-gut feeling........

To The City--
    I also have the entire Ric Burns set (on videotape, a medium that is rapidly going away), INCLUDING the post- 9/11 chapter--"Episode Eight" ( actually a pretty good biography of the World Trade Center and the somber aftermath of the terrorist attacks) along with their companion book--a volume almost as large as "The Encyclopedia of New York"..
    The book was pricey, $49.95, I think, but very much worth it. It's titled "New York; an illustrated History" by Ric Burns and James Sanders...

I get a regular mailer from PBS and they have hundreds of interesting titles from their past shows. If you go to their website--"PBS.org"-- you can get on their mailing list.

Default The Secret in Their Eyes

A+

Easily on par with the recent and terrific "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." This is great filmmaking. A real treat, with some excellent, excellent scenes that instantly tell you, "wow, this is an absolutely great film." Three such scenes:

1. Senior judge at the court questions the lead character about a botched investigation. Sidney Pollack couldn't have done this scene any better.
    2. Assistant tells the lead character that it is passion that rules men's lives.
    3. Single tracking shot -- a totally impossible shot -- which takes you from thousands of feet above a soccer stadium directly into the stands.

Highly recommended, and worth seeking out.

Update, 7/5/10: Have also seen this film twice. Thinking about seeing it again on the big screen, while I still can.
    Last edited by Bob; July 6th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.

Default City Island

C-

Largely dismissable "comedy" full of predictable outcomes. 1 or 2 funny scenes, but other than that, a yecch-fest.