Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Default Crossing Over (video)

F

2 hours of (far) left wing propaganda against U.S. Border Patrol, ICE, the Patriot Act, and immigration policies. Outrageously predictable, almost laughable, with all the stock "Made in Hollywood" cliches. Half the movie is nothing more than stock aerial shots of buildings and freeways in LA. The other half: sexual scenes which add nothing to the story line (WHAT story line?) Harrison Ford signed up for this POS? He's gotta be desperate for cash! Avoid this video. If you like left wing "message" movies such as is common from Hollywood in the last ten years, rent "Crash," instead. At least that film had a decent script and sensible direction/editing.

Somehow I would trust your review more if I did not know your political stance there Bob!

I don't think Bob's philosophy had anything to do with his reaction.

Looks like "Crossing Over" was a troubled production (often meaning the script was crap from the beginning) that nearly went straight to DVD.

The Top Critics at Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 17 (others at RT rated it even lower, at 16).

A movie has to be real garbage to get numbers that low at RT.

I guess you missed the "winkey"

>sigh<

RocknRolla.
    I really enjoyed this movie. Russian and British mobsters grease the wheels in London to get planning clearance for big projects, setting the context for a tale of quick action, really funny moments, twists and unexpected liaisons, sexy people, junkies, and everything in between. Lots of fun London visuals and underworld slang keep you smiling as it moves along.
    Don't miss it!

Default The Square

C

Australian film, limited release. It's being played up as a tribute to film noir, but I didn't see it that way. Filmed on grainy stock with poor lighting, it's not a very attractive film, so let's start with that. As for the plot, well, it really stretches the imagination to see how the lead character gets tied up in so many spots of bad luck. It's almost a farce. By the end of the film, I was more than ready to leave.

I saw two movies recently.

Sex & The City 2 --> I liked it. As I'm a fashion student and an intern for a fashion public relations firm, I mainly went for Patricia Field and the clothing. Aside from the fabulous clothes, I thought the movie was EXTREMELY predictable and cheesy. I wasn't a fan of the sequel's story. But that's the case with a lot of sequels, no?

Killers --> Hilarious. LOVED Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher together! Perfect couple! I thought the story was interestingly great and it kept me on the edge of my seat (from laughing) the entire time! Definitely recommend it!

Thumbs down Inception

INCEPTION

1/2 star -- and I'm being generous. Pure drivel.

No real characters, merely mouthpieces for an aggravating puzzle of a screenplay. Lots of CGI put to no good effect.

I actually walked out after an hour or so -- despite the fact that it was 95 degrees out and the theater was air conditioned.

Default The Girl Who Played with Fire

A-

Excellent followup to original in this series, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Those who have seen the first film will immediately know the characters and appreciate the continuity present in this one. The story was complex and well acted. While not as tightly directed or edited as the first film, it still rates an A and I do recommend it.

Banned Member

INCEPTION was very good.

I have read reviews from a lot of people who simply wouldn't stick with the complicated 1st half of the film. It fell into place in the 2nd half and was a nice piece of suspense work. The effects wsere numerous and very relevant to the story. They got better as the film went on and nothing was frivolous.

I think it is the best picture of the Summer so far and Christopher Nolan has definitely produced another high-quality, intelligent piece of work.

It posed questions and ideas that were provocative.

American Gangster is averagely ok i suppose. Action shots were really good although they were a little sparse. I felt let down after I found out it was not a real life story.
    Last edited by airjacobs; July 22nd, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

Inception looks like one I would like to go to as well.....

Loft, sorry you did not like it, as that does weigh heavy on it for me, but BR coming back with a "stellar" review......

Would this be something akin to the "ah-ha" level of Usual Suspects? (Although US was entertaining from start to finish).

BR, are there any comparables that you can reference for this? Similar plot structures that are aggravating for most the first time through and require more than a casual attension to the little things that may be brought up later?

I spoke with a number of people over the weekend who saw Inception, interested to get their opinions as I was wondering if I was out of my mind.

Not one of them liked it (or I should say disliked it to various degrees). All found the screenplay to be a good basic idea that remained sadly undeveloped, with no characters to connect to emotionally. For a film that deals with dreams the imagery seen on the screen was oddly the same for the various individuals and their specific dreams, with no change in visual style that would better create the dream world of the character (someone claimed that this was due to the "architect" in the film who structured the dreams, but that is IMHO a bogus argument and simply exhibits laziness and lack of creativity on the part of the production teams -- especially when so many of the dreams are about guns and bullets and death - zzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

But this seems to be the way Hollywood goes these days, blowing up video game scenarios into mega-screen size slogs.

All the folks I spoke with said they left the film confused, unfulfilled and in some cases bored out of their minds.

But, hey -- if you want to punish yourself, plop down your $12.75 and be my guest.

Similar plot structures that are aggravating for most the first time through and require more than a casual attension to the little things that may be brought up later?
    If a film requires additional viewings simply to understand the plot then the ticket price should include a free entry (or three).

And if the plot remains indecipherable after 2 viewings (should anyone make it that far) then the full ticket price should be refunded.

David Denby at The New Yorker lays it out better than I ever could ...

DREAM FACTORY

Christopher Nolan, the British-born director of “Memento” and of the two most recent Batman movies, appears to believe that if he can do certain things in cinema—especially very complicated things—then he has to do them. But why? To what end? His new movie, “Inception,” is an astonishment, an engineering feat, and, finally, a folly. Nolan has devoted his extraordinary talents not to some weighty, epic theme or terrific comic idea but to a science-fiction thriller that exploits dreams as a vehicle for doubling and redoubling action sequences. He has been contemplating the movie for ten years, and as movie technology changed he must have realized that he could do more and more complex things. He wound up overcooking the idea. Nolan gives us dreams within dreams (people dream that they’re dreaming); he also stages action within different levels of dreaming—deep, deeper, and deepest, with matching physical movements played out at each level—all of it cut together with trombone-heavy music by Hans Zimmer, which pounds us into near-deafness, if not quite submission. Now and then, you may discover that the effort to keep up with the multilevel tumult kills your pleasure in the movie. “Inception” is a stunning-looking film that gets lost in fabulous intricacies, a movie devoted to its own workings and to little else ...