Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

But the PR machine is in full gear, and the pay off for "Inception" is bigger than expected (or hoped for).

Hollywood wins again .

‘Inception’ Exceeds Box-Office Dreams

umm ... so I guess you did not care for it.

Default Invictus

A

Saw it on MOD this weekend and thought it was excellent. Both Morgan Freeman and Matt Daimon were terrific. Great story, nicely shot with a hollywood feel-good ending.

Default From Paris with Love

C

Jonn Travolta and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Henry VIII from the Tudors) No more or less stupid than I thought it was going to be I suppose, ok in a campy, gratututious kind of way but no beter than that.

I could have dealt with the dumb plot and gratutious violence ala Pulp Fiction if there were better chemistry between the mis-matched spy buddies charcters played by Travola and Rhys Meyers. While their paring was not really a failure, it was far from compelling. OK if you are in the mood for it, but I would not go out of my way.

Inception was an amazing picture - the plot was dense, some fantastic actors (and characters). It was more demanding than your average summer action flick, but I didn't think it was THAT hard to follow - Nolan pretty much spelled out what was happening for you visually.

Its basically an arch-typical heist movie in a science fiction-y setting. Setup the team, plan the heist, execute with surprises - just like Oceans 11 in some senses. But being a Nolan movie, it has a lot going on, and has multiple layers of things happening at once. I would compare it to The Matrix, 12 Monkeys, or Memento. If anyone had problems following those, then they should avoid this.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I found the plot very muddy. (lofter I stayed for the whole thing) IMO it's the kind of flick you could watch at home on a big screen (pre Superbowl warmup?) and not really pay attention to. As movies inch towards billion dollar budgets I find this a sad commentary regarding what our culture is willing to invest in.

Default His Girl Friday (Turner Movie Classics, free on MOD)

Every 1940's Cary Grant movie I see seems better than the previous one. In this one, Cary Grant is newspaper editor, Walter Burns. Rosalind Russell, as Hildy Johnson his ex-wife and star reporter, is quitting the business and starting a new life with the very respectable Ralph Bellamy, a life insurance salesman from Albany. Burns does everything he can to keep Hildy from leaving when the story of a lifetime emerges.

As is often the case with these old time movies, the outcome is predicable. But the movie's charm is not in its ending but the journey. It has mad-capped funny moments, is charming, and sweet, and the chemistry between Grant and Russell (who is just terrific, and not too hard on the eyes) really makes the film.

A+ for this one.
    Last edited by eddhead; July 23rd, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typos - lots of 'em!

Inception is missing a critical element that every futuristic thriller of this type needs

WILLIAM FICHTNER.

He would have been awesome in this film but they left him out!

Don't Come Knocking (Wim Wenders, 2005)
    Nice movie about an actor walking away from the film set, trying to find his past. Good acting, good sound track, stunning cinematography.
    7.5/10

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Very Edward Hopper!

I went and saw SALT last night, starring Angelina Jolie, and I've honestly got to say it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. Every minute was action packed and it kept you on the edge of your seat the whole way through! GENIUS!

I definitely recommend it. A++

It made me love Angie even more.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Very Edward Hopper!
    Considering the story of the movie, that probably isn't a coincidence...

Default Winter's Bone

B

Dumb title which has nothing to do with the plot of this film. Some fine acting, and interesting locations. A very bleak, dark movie featuring some loathsome characters. For a far superior film of this genre, check out Lolly-Madonna XXX (on video) which is nearly impossible to find but is an overlooked masterpiece.

I Am Love -- Tilda Swinton is great in this tragic romance. It's done in a somewhat overblown style reminiscent of Douglas Sirk with a touch of Visconti.

Features fantastic locations in and around Milan (the family villa is to kill for). The musical score includes all sorts of work by the great John Adams.

Default Inception

C-

A loud, muddled mess. Parts of it lapse into James Bond territory, and hence, are laughable. Skiing with machine guns? Come on!

Kid stuff. This movie could have been on par with Minority Report, with a better script, tighter direction, and less NOISE.