Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

We need a running list/table.

Maybe ask Ed about it?

Have the list with the movie Title, who is in it, what country it was made in, what year and who recommends it (or does NOT recommend it!).

Looking through 11 PAGES worth of posts can be a bit grueling for a work surfer... I mean, dedicated poster......

Really into the cinema just now because its getting awfully cold now. I know we are a bit behind you guys with movies but I saw Paranormal Activity 2 tonight, was interesting how they managed to link it to the 1st one.

Default The Social Network

B+

I thought it was well-written with solid performances throughout. Jesse Eisenberg in the role of Mark Zuckerberg particularly stands out. One of the few examples that come to mind of a movie that was better written and more entertaining than the book it was based upon ("The Accidental Billionaire" was a disappointment to me). Based on a true story but unfolding like a fictional drama, The Social Network is about a lonely, socially inept 20 something year old who ironically creats the world's most popular social networking site, becoming a billionaire in the process, and how that site came to define him.

The story is clearly biased in that it favors the perspective of Eduardo Severin, Zuckerberg's first partner; there is a lot of evidence in web blogs, recorded IM's etc.. that suggest this movie only tells part of the story, perhaps portraying Severin in a better light than reality would dictate. But that does not take away from the film's entertainment value.
    Last edited by eddhead; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Last night I took a step back in time and watched The Martian Chronicles, an old miniseries/movie from 1979 based on the Ray Bradbury masterpiece that many of us read in elementary school. It was a lot of fun and still seems as imaginative as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Last night I took a step back in time and watched The Martian Chronicles, an old miniseries/movie from 1979 based on the Ray Bradbury masterpiece that many of us read in elementary school. It was a lot of fun and still seems as imaginative as ever.
    I'll add it to my Netflix list. Saw the 1st Paranormal. Believable until the very end when she attacks the camera, smiling. Wierd. But I did jump a number of times, too. 1st half hour laaaaags. Orphan scared the crap out of me, too. Except the last part when she & the mother are fighting & you notice her legs have grown about 8 inches. Highly recommended: The Picture of Dorian Gray. 1945. Hurd Hatfield, George Sanders, & a very young Angela Landsbury. If you're not really into B&W movies, please ignore that, you won't be disappointed. Hurd Hatfield plays Dorian Gray with the most intense eyes I've ever seen. George Sanders voice is mesmerizing, & your heart breaks with Angela's.

Eyes Wide Open (2009), about a taboo love in the Jewish Orthodox community of Jerusalem, was excellent.

Hereafter. Clint Eastwood's gentle meditation on the relationship between the living and the dead skates on the psychic's edge. The psychic is Matt Damon in an admirably restrained performance. And be sure you arrive on time, so you catch the dynamite tsunami. The female lead, Cecile de France, is ravishing; and the subteen twins provide plenty of heartbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Eyes Wide Open (2009), about a taboo love in the Jewish Orthodox community of Jerusalem, was excellent.
    Definitely putting this one on the list. We could go on & on, couldn't we, people? The list is really endless.

'Too Wong Foo: Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar'. Just a fun, sweet movie. Bit of a chick flick, but the guys would laugh, too. Kudos to the three male leads for having the guts to dress up.

Previously recommended on this thread: 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas' & 'Eyes Wide Open'. Both very well constructed, well thought-out movies. And heartbreaking. Nothing good happens in either ending.

"Buried", or how to make a good movie with few money. Claustrophobic to the max!
    "I Am Sam". To me, one of Sean Penn's best roles in his career. Very touching.
    "The Haunting". One of the 60's horror classics, just entertaining.
    "Finding Nemo". Bad acting.

The rotting economy has claimed yet another personal touchstone and altered my understanding of normacy. It seems like forever since it became possible to RENT a recent movie. At least once a month for half my life , I'd rent a couple interesting ones, grab a pizza and burn off a weekend watching the latest releases.

Now, all the video rental stores in my neighborhood have closed and gone away, like the bookstores. The local Borders Books just had a 70% off sale as they prepare for the end.
    --Hollywood Video, right down the street, a chain store with eclectic tastes, one that stocked EVERYTHING (--they still had some obscure video cassettes, old Hitchcock, some Robert Mitchum noir, and the like, on tape and rentable)) is gone, now another link in the ongoing chain of bankrupcy. No more...
    --So has Blockbuster, and there were actually two of them a short drive away. Bankrupt, another link...
    All I'm left with are the "red boxes", the refreshingly cheap (A buck a night) but aggrivating stand-alone kiosks--and they are both WITHIN stores which close at 10 PM and they seem to lag a month behind a movie's general release on DVD.
    If I want a movie from the box, I SETTLE, I don't select anymore.

I'm not watching a lot these days. I only JUST saw "Avatar"...Watched it twice. Good movie.
    Last edited by Hof; April 8th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Saw "Miral" last night, Julian Schnabel's new film about a Palestinian woman and her train wreck of a life under the Israelis, until she finally goes to the West. Horrifying what's still happening in the "Land of Milk and Honey", it's actually the land of Tears and Death if you weren't born the right religion. Apartheid is alive and its name is Israel. Shame shame shame. Excellent movie.

^great, just learned some Jewish groups are protesting it. Wouldn't want people to see the real situation over there, would we

is there anything worse than a really bad movie?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Or anything better? Jody Daniel as 'Critter'! LOL! Gotta love that action packed bongo drum soundtrack!