Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Horrible movie. Even with English subtitles I could hardly keep up, and Dutch subtitles take all the fun out of it...
    (just joking, it's really brilliant, but quite a challenge if you're not a native English speaker)

Ninj, that is a great point. They can use colloquialisms and still come across as well-spoken because the repartee is so snappy. OK, so sometimes it is a bit corny, but I for one can deal with it. It is not just the vocabulary, it is the writing- it is so stylish.

I love going to the movies today, but can you imagine what it was like back than?

! Wizardofoss - I admire your sticktoitivness.

Unstoppable (2010). Denzel Washington. Not the typical runaway train movie where you're waiting for The Big Crash. Denzel plays working-class Frank Barnes, a 28-year freight train engineer in Pennsylvania who also takes a first-day rookie for the ride. Meanwhile in another yard, two arrogant slackers are lax in moving an engine off one track & onto another. The more arrogant of the two is the engineer, & not only forgets to connect the airbrakes, but has to haul his corpulent rear out of the train to throw a switch while the train is moving, then hop back on. If the train was coasting he might have made it, but when the train passes the switch it apparently throws the idle lever in the train back, plus the throttle is in the forward position. I don't know it was a whole big thing. Any of you familiar with railroading may get it. Big guy tries to catch up but trips & falls.

The unmanned, 39-car, loaded freight train - number 777 of all things - is now starting to gain speed, slowly, & is passing through some well-populated towns. Everyone's ultimate goal is to get the train stopped before it reaches Stanton Curve, which has a speed limit of only 15mph. Scattered in the area on either side of this curve are fuel tanks, businesses, & houses. Frank Barnes, once his train is out of harm's way, decides to dump his freight cars & go after the the other train.

There is plenty of destructive mayhem along the way to keep it interesting, including a train car full of kids out for a field trip to learn about railroad safety (yeah, sorry, forgot that), & mostly due to futile attempts to stop it. Dialogue is decent & doesn't fall back on cliches, & a good part of it is specific to the industry but not so technical that it makes your head spin. Only a few visual goofs, as well as some cheezy sound effects, & sometimes too-quick editing, but still a watchable movie. This one isn't one for the ages, so I'd give it a two, but that seems too low, & a three seems too high. You decide.
    Last edited by mariab; September 3rd, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, one of the many masterpieces of The Asylum, and just as brilliant as you would expect from the title. Best comedy ever, period. Well, of course most of it wasn't intended as comedy, but who cares? After all, there's a shark eating the Golden Gate Bridge and even snatching a 747 from the sky, capable of swimming 500 knots, but it nevertheless has quite a challenge to outswim a submarine. The octopus has less screentime, but seemed to have the upper hand in the end fight, even when the shark bites of the same tentacle twice. Not that it really matters, one moment they're fighting, the next moment they're both dead. Oh, was that a spoiler?
    10/10

But a little more serious, I also watched PLUG, the New World, although basically a very long commercial for ugly electric cars, it's just beautiful.

Last edited by WizardOfOss; September 7th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.

We all know how sharks love steel.

Sharks also love Leonardo di Caprio...

(missed opportunity: The Asylum did actually make a Titanic sequel, it's every bit as horrible as you would expect, but not nearly as much fun as Mega Shark)

Ben-Hur (1959) A+ (or, 6 stars out of 5)

Restored print shown on the big screen at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center, this past Saturday. What a spectacular epic film; in my opinion this is without a doubt the greatest movie ever made. The restored film is jaw-dropping...the colors are vibrant and the full scope of the MGM Camera 65 photography is almost beyond belief. This is what movies can be, often were, and should be again. A great start to the New York Film Festival.

My wife and I drove from Alexandria, VA, to NY to see this rare screening. Worth every penny, and worth the effort.

In a word, "wow."

^ Bob, your reviews are awesome.

Thor.

Meh. I would give it a scatter rating.

B for just a semi-mindless action flik.
    A for special effects
    C+ for comic "loyalty"
    C for any actual depth or meaning
    C for adherence to actual lore (which, admittedly, even the comic did better.)

If you can netflik it or rent it, it is a decent popcorn flik. The people in it are pretty, and the action is interesting, but it looks like they mixed things up a bit (an Asian and a black dude as Nordic gods?). Probably make a good video game...

I also saw Thor last week, and was disappointed. I agree with all your 'C' sub-ratings. The acting was abysmal, the plot was not true to lore. I would give it a C at best.

The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu B

Lengthy documentary of the executed former communist leader of Romania. Amazing archival footage, including some unbelievabe coverage of a North Korea stadium spectacular which professed the "love" of the North Korean people for those of Romania. Ceausescu ran a gulag, and starved his people to build palaces. He and his despicable wife got what they deserved, in the end.

Literally of figuratively?

LOL. You're a sicko.

Default The Maltese Falcon

A

What more is to be said for this, a classic film in every respect. Saw it at the AFI Silver Theater and Cultural Center, Silver Spring, MD, as part of their Film Noir retrospective. A fun movie on the big screen. The script is fast-paced, clever, and often hilarious.

House was nearly sold out. The film was introduced by the chairman of the Film Noir Appreciation Society, who remarked, "I'm sure it would please John Huston and Humphrey Bogart to know that this film, made 70 years ago, can still pack the house."
    Last edited by Bob; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Default The Social Network

B

A funny movie, rather biting and sarcastic with some insights into a rather slanted view of what undoubtedly went on at Harvard during the creation of the largest internet social network of its time.

The dialogue was a bit to hurried, as if it was a contest to see how fast everyone could read their lines, and the "college life" was a bit glammed and fictionalized, from both the position of the Have's and Have Not's.

Taken with a grain of salt, and a realization that although it may be slanted, it still does not portray the founder Zuckerberg in the best of light. He was, and probably IS an ass in this movie and in life. (And it decimates Sean Parker's character in the movie, to what truth I do not know).

Recommended for a rental.