Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Now that it has earned a half a gazillion dollars it seems OK to ask some questions:

How did Anna / Alice Braga and her kid get their car into Manhattan?

All bridges & tunnels were blown up, right? And they are on an ISLAND ...

And how does Anna get OFF the island to get to Vermont (which is a rather obvious choice for the destination: Vermont = hippy colony / paradise)?

For me once Anna & the kid appeared on the scene the movie turned to total BS. Adding the boy was the obvious "there is hope" (he shall lead the next generation!). The 3rd act would have been far more interesting if she had been alone and Will's character (knowing the fate of his wife and kid) is compelled (perhaps to his own surprise) to increase & multiply (echoes of Children of Men from last year). She too knows that for the sake of mankind that propagation is the #1 concern.

Instead we get these really bad passages of dialog about Rasta Bob (who deserves far better).
    Like I said before we agree on a lot. And I thought I was the only one who thought the bob soliloquy was a tad contrived. Didn't seem natural for someone describing or speaking on that topic.

I saw I am Legend today and Ifound it to be really good. It was also sad to because Will Smith dies, and the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

All bridges & tunnels were blown up, right? And they are on an ISLAND ...

And how does Anna get OFF the island to get to Vermont (which is a rather obvious choice for the destination: Vermont = hippy colony / paradise)?
    Excellent point.

That whole espect of the story clearly seems to have been added on at some point after the initial idea for "I am Legend" had been proposed.

Does anyone know how the 3rd Act plays out in the book?

The Dude Abides

The book's story is altogether different. For one, it takes place in Los Angeles.

From what I've gathered, Neville doesn't work toward a cure in the book, but instead kills the infected survivors: both the ones exhibiting vampire-like symptoms, and the ones that do not. He's captured towards the end, and, just before being executed, poisons himself.

The movie version is undoubtedly more a story of hope, although I find myself wondering if the crew considered the accessibility of Manhattan at all before writing a new ending. That annoys me.

For me it's beyond annoying -- when pieces of a story don't make sense then I begin to think the storyteller has no respect for the listener ...

Reminds me of another bit of bad story telling

Lofter I can answer one of your questions. The women and the boy came up from South America by boat. She told Will that when they were in the kitchen and they had a portable radio and generator in the boat. That's how they got there. The rest I agree with you on. For me though I still enjoyed the movie.

Still makes me crazy, despite the filmmakers' pitiful attempt to inject hope into a story which doesn't need it.

But let's play along .... they arrived in Manhattan by boat, eh? All by themselves? Maybe the boy piloted the boat thousands of miles up the Eastern Seaboard. And did their laundry at the same time (note how crisp and clean they look). And then upon arrival in NYC they just happened to find a nearly brand new spanking clean vehicle that they hot-wired to drive across the Harlem River on their way to Vermont. Or perhaps the car was alrady on the boat from South America and then they just rolled it off the boat down at South Ferry --

All preposterous -- and in terms of playwrighting / storytelling an example of laziness.

We should have a spoiler alert on this thread.

My first "Legend" post had an ALERT, but you're right ... and I'll do so henceforth.

^It was JCexpert's post that prompted me to write that.

And it's okay to discuss movies and their endings, but we should have an overall spoiler alert, which I will do right now.

One bonus from the disappointing ending is that will smith and the chick dont fall in love and get it on like every other movie in history.

But that ^ is what I was awaiting for

I hate happy ending movies, id like more bad endings. If anyone has seen arlington road thats what Im talking about.

Yes I saw Arlington Road.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast