Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Default Take Shelter

A

Two hours of terrific acting, a superb script, great location shots, and edge-of-your seat suspense. One of the best films I have seen this year. Worth seeking out. Don't be surprised if this film gets multiple Academy Award nominations.

Default Captain America

General Rating: C
    Action Flik Rating: B

Good action flik, one of the better ones in the whole "Avengers" assembly.

They definitely cut some corners in the plot, both in the "original" and in the newer grittier Marvel universe, but it is worth a look-see.

The visual effects are great, and the characters enjoyable. The ignorance of physical law is a bit frustrating at times (I know he is a "super hero", but "normal" objects should still follow the laws of Physics, you know?)

Good camera shots, pretty good selection of cast, decent plot. A bit too compressed, chopping off too many loose ends that served the comic well.

Again, rental (not worth buying for multiple viewing...)

Default Margin Call

B+

A very good film worth seeing. Great cast, which includes Jeremy Irons, Kevin Spacey, and Demi Moore.

The annoying part was "The Departed" level of gratuitous F-bombs, which added nothing to the story. This film screams for being redone in black and white, in glorious Cinemascope, without the stupid F-bombs.

Default Friends with Benefits

Saw this on a plane home from New Zealand. I had to watch something, I was going stir crazy on the 15 hour trip.

If not for valiant efforts of Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, this would be really bad. Still try as they might, they cannot save this film. The plot is old, and really wasn't that good the first time around with Ashton Kucher and Natalie Portman in "No Strings Attached". This was even worse. Timberlake and Kunis try, and the chemistry between them is pretty good, but the story is old and contrived. Just ain't happening.

D

Looks like a potential USA Network Prime Time Premiere!!!!!

Default Melancholia

F-

Yes, friends, this movie is truly that bad.

Idiotic script. A full one hour into the film, you still had no clue what was going on. One minute the film is showing a woman in a bathtub, the next minute, Hubble Telescope pictures. What the $@##%!

Odd casting.

Pathetic direction. (No direction, actually. Looks like a 6th grader put this together.)

Characters you frankly could care less about.

Herky-jerky camera work. Where are the actors: over here. Where is the camera pointed: at the ceiling, the ground, anywhere but. Out of focus, half the time.

AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGH.

Mixed bag of reactions on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/

But sometimes good reviews are only because someone THINKS it should be good..... I hate it when someone tries to be overly artistic and misses the point....

HUGO A+

Martin Scorsese's love letter to the movies. A great movie, and nearly perfect in so many ways: cinematography, production design, editing, story, acting. As with AVATAR, this film displays how well 3-D can be used when it's put in service of the story. Scorsese's extended tracking shots -- incorporating live action, CGI and good old fashioned movie making -- are really thrilling.

I was wondering about that.....

I can't stand when 3D is just used to throw things at you and give you a headache.....

Very cool when the entire audience of HUGO emits a big "Ooooh" -- particularly in sequences that refer to one of the first movie thrills from 1895 ...

Default "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

One of the best ever.
    FIVE out of 5.

It is one of the best novel-to-movie creations I have seen. The characters were ALL what I imagined them to be, right down to their ruminations and inner monologues. The cast-- Vanger, his family, Blomqvist and his lover--even the old cop--were channeling the book's characters perfectly. It was light irony to see Daniel Craig ( as Blomqvist), going from a mild-mannered intellectual to
    a sort of beat-down Everyman who gradually turns into a shadow James Bond. Also, he got laid more in the movie-- a slight departure from the novel. Lizbeth Salander's personality was as finely honed on film as the author portrayed her on paper--a dark, moody Goth computer savant, officially declared crazy by the State, but knowing otherwise.
    Lizbeth's revenge scene was as graphic as Sven Larssen's written words, and the way the weather became a character in the movie gave me the same chilly, clammy feeling as did the book's depictions of Sweden's crummy climate. When she rode away on her bike down a rainy Stockholm cobblestone lane I could feel the weather, and I knew just what she was thinking... "Mikel Fcking Blomqvist"...
    Fortunately, the director did not introduce the author's sometimes ponderous writing style, where he would go on for pages intimately trying to describe the way people think. Despite some long, drawn-out scenes, the movie marched right along.
    And the music was perfect. From the odd but compelling opening graphics to the first wintry scenes ( a pretty good Led Zeppelin cover), the score grabbed my attention. Nine Inch Nails--who woulda thought??? ( I think Trent Reznor was in one or two scenes, wearing a "NIN" shirt).

I read the "Millenium Trilogy" over the summer, liked the novels a LOT and was happy to see that the translation from paper to film was so well done. It's making me hunger for the NEXT "The Girl.." movies. Two to go.
    Last edited by Hof; January 5th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

You will see it.... if this proves a money maker.

It looked like a keeper for me as well. Must see it now!

I saw The Iron Lady a few weeks back and it was ABsolutely brilliant. One of Meryl Streep's best performances in my opinion.

I found it a little bit strange/annoying though that the trailer is (almost) nothing what the movie is. You'd think from watching it you're going to a movie about Margaret Thatcher's life in office, the war, etc. and what it really is, from what I saw was a love story between her and her late husband, Denis. But beyond that.. brilliant.

A well deserved Golden Globe on Sunday night and I'm sure an Oscar is on its way as well!

I'm hearing good reviews of the English-language version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." For those who have seen the new film, I strongly suggest they also seek out the original three Swedish language films which by now should be available on DVD. Each was excellent.
    Last edited by Bob; January 21st, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: editorial correction

Default Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Saw it on the big screen this past weekend, in glorious black and white, and featuring the stars, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in rare form. This film doesn't hold up very well, in part due to the crummy soundtrack by Frank Devol, later known for his syrup-like anthems to CBS comedy shows in the late 60s, and even later known as "Happy Kyne" on the 70s show, Fernwood Tonight.

The film also suffers from a handful of obvious continuity flaws.

As for the acting, it's top shelf. Either actress could have been awarded the Oscar for a fine performance.

Nothing like seeing movies on the screen, where they were meant to be seen.