Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Any Movie You Saw Today << spoiler alert >>

Wasnt it refreshing when he didnt save everyone or miraculously pull the right wire out of the bomb and kick the guys ass?

Default Reign Over Me

Saw this last night on widescreen DVD. Very good film; in fact, excellent at times. Thumbs up. Excellent cinematography...the color stock was superb and the director's choice of shots (screen composition) was at times remarkable. New York City never looked better. One clever shot shows all the traffic lights on Park Avenue changing at the same time, from green to yellow to red...there is a very subtle musical accompaniment. Goes fast...you have to watch carefully for it.

Now, to the cast: Adam Sandler...who knew he was such an excellent actor? Wow -- I was big-time impressed. Quite a performance, probably should be nominated for an Academy Award. Donald Sutherland -- excellent, albeit he gets only a cameo in this film. Melinda Dillon -- fine actress but, whoaaa -- what the heck happened to her? She was the female lead in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and all I will say is -- what a difference 30 years had made.

My only gripes about this movie:

1. The DVD starts with a pre-movie disclaimer, which says something along the lines of "the opinions and views expressed in this film are that of the director and do not reflect the views of Sony pictures" or some such thing. OK, great, I guess Sony Pictures doesn't agree that the terrorists who flew airplanes full of living people into the Twin Towers don't qualify as "thugs." The disclaimer is a disgrace. And, it's shown in three separate languages. I'm surprised Sony Pictures didn't also put the disclaimer in Arabic.

2. A scene between two characters. The Don Cheadle character is talking to a therapist about his friend, the Adam Sandler character. The therapist says, "What's his problem?" He responds, "He lost his family a few years ago in an airline crash." Totally unbelievable dialogue. Totally ridiculous! Two New Yorkers standing on Park Avenue would never have a conversation on this topic such as shown in this film. The conversation would have been more like this:

"What happened to him?

"He lost his entire family on 9/11. They were on the first plane that hit the Trade Center. His wife and three girls. Can you imagine?!"

3. End credits: font type is too small. Instead of playing The Who's "Reign O'er Me," the song is performed by a different band.

Moderators - would it be possible to switch the <spoiler alert> tag to the front of the thread title?

When this thread is feature on the main community page, the spoiler alert is cut off....

I'm going to watch Legend tonight (in the comfort of my own home).
    Thank you Pirate Bay.

Excellent movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post

Pirate Bay
    Is that free?

Yes. It is awesome.
    When the film industry scumbags stop trying to force me to watch 15 minutes of commercials AFTER I've just paid 12 dollars to get in the door, THAT'S when I'll start paying those greedy bastards some money again.
    I remember a time that movie theaters didn't have commercials except the one for popcorn.
    Now I watch all new movies for free, often 1 week within being released. No commercials, thank you.
    thepiratebay.org
    download azureus and you are off and running.
    It isn't just movies either.

Default Music Of The Heart

Tonight I watched "Music of the Heart" starring Merryl Streep. It's about Roberta Guaspari who teaches violin to students in East Harlem. What a beautiful story. I cried it was so inspiring.

Went and saw National Treasure: Book of Secrets tonight with some friends. Awesome movie, very thrilling, with an action packed ending!

Very well done,
    Ben

Banned Member

I saw "Superbad." Does a good job capturing that awkward high school period. It got a couple of laughs out of me.

"Charlie Wilson's War"

Afghanistan, Beautiful Girls, Russian Imperialism ... Politics, Partying, Pakistan.

Smart + funny, which is not surprising since it was directed by Mike Nichols.

Terrific writing by Aaron Sorkin and good acting all around -- Tom Hanks, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Ned Beatty, Amy Adams and more.

Seeing it the day after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto the historical incidents in the film (behind the scenes negotiations between the US and Pakistan, inept US follow up in Afghanistan) take on a deep resonance.

Banned Member

I watched "Zodiac" tonight. Excellent movie with an excellent cast.

Default Atonement

A fair film, at best. With proper editing of the script, this could have been excellent. A similar but far superior film in all respects is "A Very Long Engagement," which came out several years ago. Better still, "The English Patient." See those two films and skip "Atonement."

"Drowning Mona"
    Hilarious. All star cast: Danny Devito, Jamie Lee Curtis, Bette Midler, Neve Campell..this movie made me laugh like no recent comedies have in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I saw "Superbad." Does a good job capturing that awkward high school period. It got a couple of laughs out of me.
    Loved that movie. Since I am still in high school, and a senior like some of the characters, it really showed a high school "profile" I'm used. I love the character of McLovin and people say that I actually look him..

I saw National Treasure: Book of Secrets the other night with a couple of friends and it was, in my opinion, one of this year's best. It's suspenseful and just an all-around good movie. Two thumbs up!

-Ben

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast