Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Broadway Questions and Recommendations

Race:
    Kind of tardy with this one having seen it a while back with James Spader and David Allen Grier. I was surprised at just how good DAG was .. he stole the show. Surprised he was not nominated. New cast now, but the show itself was thought provoking enough to warrant a recommendation

Billy Elliot
    One of the best musicals I have seen, period. Uplifting and sensitive. Highly recommended

Memphis
    Loved it. Terrific music, story line and performances all around.

West Side Story
    B to B+ Story line never gets old. Solid performances all around. Pretty true to the original

South Pacific
    Agree with BR. Enjoyable but nothing special.

Default charles

So how should I do it? Please tell me thank you

Banned Member

I seem to forgot to let everyone kow how self-indulgent "Everyday Rapture" was. It starred Sherri Rene Scott as herself, in a story about herself, written by herself. It was more approprite for Don't Tell Mama or the Dulpex. A complete cabaret act. If you haven't missed it already, now is your chance. Just go to the box office and don't buy any tickets. You'll be happy you did!

A new reason to see "Fela!" ...

Patti LaBelle Joins Cast of ‘Fela!’

NY TIMES
    August 12, 2010

The Broadway musical “Fela!” may be closing in January, but it is going out in style. The Grammy winner Patti LaBelle is planning to join the cast at the Eugene O’Neill Theater on Sept. 14 as Fela’s mother, Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti, a spokesman for the show said on Thursday.

“After seeing the show, I was struck by the choreography and work of Bill T. Jones, and the passion and joy that overflows from the stage,” Ms. LaBelle said in a press release. “Fela’s mother, Funmilayo, was a strong, truly inspiring woman, and I am so privileged to be able to pay tribute to her on the Broadway stage.”

Fela, a musical superstar in his native Nigeria, used his popularity to oppose the repressive military dictatorship during the 1970s and ’80s. The musical is set inside the nightclub where Fela (played, alternately, by Sahr Ngaujah and Kevin Mambo), regularly performed his pioneering Afrobeat music.

Ms. Labelle reunited last year with the former members of the group Labelle, Sarah Dash and Nona Hendryx for, a reunion album, “Back to Now.” But she has also been taking care of business. She has written five books including three cookbooks, sells her own collection of wigs and a line of signature sauces and marinades called — what else? – Lady Marmalade.

^ I swear by her sauces and have a few of her wigs.

If you want to hear something just incredible...I mean incredible....put on this recording of Patti Labelle (and the Bluebells) from 1966.

The woman sounds exactly.... and I mean exactly ....like this today nearly 45 yrs later.

The song is by Curtis Mayfield. It was years ahead of it's time. It sounds so contemporary.

The title at Youtube says 1964... but this song is actually from 1966.

You must stop whatever you are doing and listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlVCuNmvjc0

That girl can SING.

Default Spider-Man on Broadway -- Turn Off The Dark

Last Friday, while walking down West 43rd Street I happened upon the set load-in for the upcoming Broadway spectacular Spider-Man -- Turn Off The Dark (at a projected budget of $50,000,000 this is the most expensive Broadway show ever)...

The centerpiece of the fantastical set by designer / sculptor George Tsypin:

The Oscorp Laboratory, a humongous black orb wired for sight and sound.

The entire rear wall of the theater looks to be a huge spider web:

Here's a rendering of the set:

Turn Off The Dark has music by a couple of guys from some obscure band.

It's being helmed by the director of The Lion King, the incredibly talented and creative Julie Taymor. The show will open December 21 (previews begin November 16) at the newly-named Foxwoods Theater (formerly called the Hilton, and before that the Ford, it seats 1,800+ and is actually two old Broadway theaters -- the Apollo and Lyric -- that were combined into one back in the late '90s).

Rehearsals for the full cast began this week. A ticket presale for American Express card members began this past Saturday, August 14, with a general public onsale in September.

Unhappy So actually all the good shows...

When is this suppose to end?

Just to add my 2 cents, been to a lot of broadway shows over my 3 years in NYC... Top of the list to me has to be Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys and Avenue Q. Honorable mention to The Christmas Spectacular at Radio City too.

...one of the best shows I've been to in the past 3 years was The Family Adams...superb...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011