Hairspray
    Jersey Boys
    Lion King
    Spring Awakening
    Xanadu

New Musicals I've not seen, so can't comment on:

The Little Mermaid
    Young Frankenstein

There's a whole new crop of plays coming up.

You might want to go to Playbill.com. Register on the site (it's free) and then see "special offers." You can usually get coupons or TicketMaster code numbers to receive up to 40 - 50% off.

Also, Off-Broadway is a great alternative.

BrooklynRider, thank you for your reply, I found it really helpful. As for Off (and Off-Off) Broadway, I am open to suggestions, I just find it more difficult to choose, not knowing the plays.

Finally, I have to tell you that I don't understand what you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    If shows like Wicked, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, and Mama Mia closed, the world would be better for it.
    Thanks

And Chicago, yes, it is fantastic show, I saw it two years ago, in Athens, Greece!

In my opinion, The Lion King is one of the best musicals out today. I did not see it in NY City, but the tour show was awesome, so I'm guessing the original Broadway show will be great too! A few years, I had seen Beauty and the Beast in Omaha, NE with some friends and we all loved it! But unfortunately, that show has closed.

I think I'm going to see The Phantom of the Opera and Lion King. Or maybe an Off Broadway show instead.

Btw, I intend to visit Detroit, Michigan for a couple of days in January 08, after visiting NY, but I think of cancelling it. Dou you believe it could become difficult to return to NY, in case of bad weather conditions?

Banned Member

Hi Manos-

You will LOVE The Lion King. Truly, there has never been anything like it on Broadway.

In my post regarding Les Mis, Mama Mia, etc...

For someone new to the theater or who doesn't see shows very often, almost any show can be a "wow!" spectacular. I go to the theater fairly often, so I think with that privilege (few cities have as much live theater) it becomes easier to sort between the good, bad and ugly.

I am no fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber or his shows and Phantom is no different. I think the music is rather blah and I find myself looking at the list of songes in the Playbill to see how far the show is from the finale. The show is "of a time" and that time is past.

Les Miserable was looooong and it was a valiant, woefully marching into war, histrionic, begging to be heroic, operatic melodrama. I was hoping every character would just die. In that respect, it didn't disappoint. If these characters ate a bowl of jalapenos, they would heroically stand atop the sets singing about their buttholes burning.

For Mama Mia, someone went through the ABBA greatest hits catalogue, picked their favorite songs, then created a weak, lame story to weave them together. When they realized they couldn't find a way to get the best known songs into the story line, they simply tacked on a mini ABBA concert at the end. The concert has nothing to do with the story and leaves one wondering "what the f***?" The tv ads claimed: every night this show has everyone on their feet dancing in the aisles. In reality, it was a concert style finale in which the performers yell for everyone to get up and dance. There's a difference. If you want a truly great jukebox musical, see Jersey Boys - that was worthy of it's Tony Award. Oh - and the choreographer for this show ought to be banned from further work. The dancers seemed to be loitering n stage in oblivion rather than actually dancing.

Hmmm, now that's a point.

First of all, I must thank admins for changing the title to "Broadway Questions & Recommendations", I think it is a very useful topic for theatergoers and NYC visitors.

I think am convinced, I'll go see Lion King and some Off Broadway play...

Thanks.

Banned Member

Default Off Broadway

"Die Mommie Die" got good reviews and it is Charles Busch.

I had a lot of fun at "Altar Boyz," which I've seen twice.

LOL BrooklynRider. I'm sorry, I couldn't help to laugh about your comments about Les Mis and Mama Mia. :P Oh, and thank you WNY staff for changing the topic name. As manos said, I'm sure this thread will help NY visitors when deciding what show to see.

-ben

we have booked to see Grease in 3 weeks, has anybody seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post

Mama Mia, etc...

For Mama Mia, someone went through the ABBA greatest hits catalogue, picked their favorite songs, then created a weak, lame story to weave them together ... the choreographer for this show ought to be banned from further work. The dancers seemed to be loitering n stage in oblivion rather than actually dancing.
    Besides, why spend $100 for that crud on Broadway?

Just wait until next summer for the movie:

Banned Member

Thumbs down

I saw Young Frankenstein and it was one of the worst musicals in years.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Not a musical but really liked November, the new Mamet comedy.

Banned Member

^Ah, with Nathan Lane. Was it funny?

If you haven't seen it yet, go see August:Osage County. The best play in years.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Yes, and will do. In-laws had already loved August: Osage County, so BR, you are the tipping point.

ali r.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast