Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Questions and Recommendations

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by turkishann View Post
    we have booked to see Grease in 3 weeks, has anybody seen it?
    Grease is a show that seems to play on Broadway every 5 or 6 years. It's initial reviews weren't great, proabably because of the Amercian Idol type of casting they employed. Yet, with the current crop of crap-a-doodle musicals currently playing, critics gave it a second look and it did make some top-ten lists for musicals of the year.

It's grosses for the last week were at 80%. That should be fine to keep it going. Plus, producers are usually ready to infuse their shows with some cash to get them to the Tony's. Either way, Grease is a show where they'll start bringing in TV stars and has-beens to have a "marquee star" in lights.

Have a good time at the show. I see a lot of theater, so I'm a bit jaded. If you don't get to see live theater often, it will be a wonderful experience.

thanks Rob I am sure I will enjoy it, we do go to the Theatre quite a lot here in England, I love going to the Ballet and would have loved to have gone on our visit, sadly I could not persuade my husband

Banned Member

Hi Ann-

I just noticed you're from Manchester. I have a good friend there (31-yrs-old). I was hoping to buy him a gift card/certificate for dinner for two at a Manchester restaurant. Can you recommend any that might be nice for a celebratory dinner? He doesn't drink, so the "pub" thing is out.

hi Rob

here are a couple of our favourites

http://www.efes.co.uk/ this is turkish

http://www.milanrestaurant.co.uk/ this is italian, infact I am going there tonight with a friend

http://www.croma.biz/manchester.htm this is really nice also, they have one your way in Boston

hope this helps

ann

Quote Originally Posted by turkishann View Post
    we have booked to see Grease in 3 weeks, has anybody seen it?
    I saw Grease a few years ago over here. Initially i didn't want to go (my ex forced me into it) but ended up really enjoying it. Andy Garcia played the lead role - very nice.

ha ha meerkat, same here, he had a choice between Mary Poppins, Grease, Hairspray, Mama Mia or a Ballet, so he settled for Grease

Arrow Comments on 3 Shows...

For my trip in March, we are scheduled to see the following shows:
    • Chiacgo
    • The Little Mermaid
    • Spamalot
    Anyone seen these? Comments? Did you like them?

Thanks!
    Ben

Banned Member

Chicago is great.

Watch the movie Spamalot before you visit. It enhances the theatre experience greatly.

I saw Little Mermaid last night. I go to theater often, so I'm a little jaded and I didn't like it.

If this is your first trip to Broadway shows it will entertain you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Chicago is great.

Watch the movie Spamalot before you visit. It enhances the theatre experience greatly.

I saw Little Mermaid last night. I go to theater often, so I'm a little jaded and I didn't like it.

If this is your first trip to Broadway shows it will entertain you.
    Ok. I will definitely go and rent Spamalot sometime before I leave. What about The Little Mermaid didn't you like? I like to know these things before I leave. Haha!

Banned Member

Little Mermaid was just not a very good show. For me, I thought the costumes were unimaginative. The sets and costumes looked extremely cheap. The choreography was very "high school repertory".

The first act was dreadful. The second act less so.

Every song was pretty much screamed with arrangements that were over the top. The songs were utterly forgettable; other than two from the original movie.

The show basically reused special effects from last year's Tarzan. Throughout the show, I was hoping for a Broadway oil spill to come and kill all the sea life in this production or for Japanese tuna trawlers to cast a net and haul off the incredibly annoying Ariel character and her ver lame side kick.

You come back and tell me what the guy in the red suit is supposed to be - a crab? a lobster? a can-can girl?

The rolling around by the cast was dreadful. Disney on ice. It was an amusement park show. Not a Broadway-worthy production.

Um.... Enjoy it!

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Benniest View Post
    Ok. I will definitely go and rent Spamalot sometime before I leave. What about The Little Mermaid didn't you like? I like to know these things before I leave. Haha!
    Oh, and the movie version is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Little Mermaid was just not a very good show. For me, I thought the costumes were unimaginative. The sets and costumes looked extremely cheap. The choreography was very "high school repertory".

The first act was dreadful. The second act less so.

Every song was pretty much screamed with arrangements that were over the top. The songs were utterly forgettable; other than two from the original movie.

The show basically reused special effects from last year's Tarzan. Throughout the show, I was hoping for a Broadway oil spill to come and kill all the sea life in this production or for Japanese tuna trawlers to cast a net and haul off the incredibly annoying Ariel character and her ver lame side kick.

You come back and tell me what the guy in the red suit is supposed to be - a crab? a lobster? a can-can girl?

The rolling around by the cast was dreadful. Disney on ice. It was an amusement park show. Not a Broadway-worthy production.

Um.... Enjoy it!
    Hmm... from this review (especially from a New Yorker), I really do not want to see it now. I was talking with another forum member (not going to mention names) who also, just like you BrooklynRider, gave the same kind of review.

She gave me advice to excuse myself from the show, and use that night to walk around Manhattan and take some pictures. I like the idea, but there is just one person that I have to get that around: Mom.

If I can get permission from both her and the tour guide (yikes!), I'll definitely do this because I really do not want to see The Little Mermaid ... of all things! I googled the show and saw some pictures of what the show looks like on stage and some of the cast members outfits. I'd like to question the two pictures I attached at the bottom. When in the show do they go from "under the ocean" to space? It looks like an alien outfit!

And to think, we were supposed to go see Wicked and go backstage at that show... what a pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Oh, and the movie version is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
    I will definitely rent this movie. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheriereneursula-797346.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	5650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00004epz.jpeg 
Views:	265 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	5651  

B: If your Mom doesn't want you wandering about and you like plays then you could use the opportunity to see "The Seafarer" at The Booth Theater.

It is mean, funny and brilliantly acted -- and closes at the end of March.

Chances are you could get a seat at the TKTS line (they've just started a special window dedicated to tickets for Plays, so the time in line can be much shorter). You could also try directly at the theater for standing room (they sell those the day of), which is cheap -- and for a youngster like you the standing should be no problem.

(Pssst: OR you could simply tell your Mom you're going to see a play -- and then secretly do the walk-around thing you were talking about )

Hmm. Interesting. I'll put that on my "options" list. From the preview on the website, it looks like a really good play. Thanks lofter.

Youngin? I'm old ... 18 years old. I'm getting up there in my old age pretty quick lofter. You have no idea. But then again, maybe you do. Haha!!

*runs*

I'm enjoying reading these reviews. We're heading to NYC in March with the kids (8 and 12). Any recommendations for a Broadway show that'd we'd all enjoy? I don't want to do the Disney thing. NYC is so expensive that it's a rare treat to go there, so I want them to see a "real" show, but one they'd enjoy. The 8yo doesn't scare easily, so I was wondering about Phantom. My 12yo has watched Hairspray the movie about 100 times, so that is a consideration. Or Grease? Thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast