Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Questions and Recommendations

Here are some shows that I have wanted to see for a really long time and one that I really recommend .. although that one is Disney, which you said you did not want.
    • Good Shows:
      • Wicked
      • Phantom of the Opera
        • I saw this show in Omaha, NE and loved it. Very nice show.
      • Grease (that you mentioned)
      • Hairspray (also, that you mentioned)
        • Like The Phantom, I saw the traveling version of this show in Omaha, and liked it a lot.
    I said that I'd also strongly reccomend a show as well. This is The Lion King. I saw the travelling group for this show in Des Moines and loved every single moment of it. The effects are amazing and the music is awesome. A really great show..

Now.. I'm not a New Yorker so I have not seen any of these shows ON Broadway (yet). You may want to get some advice from an actual New Yorker before actually picking your show(s). This is just my honest opinion and advice. Hope it helps!

Ben

Banned Member

Ben made some good suggestions.

Despite the very good inclination not to head directly toward Disney, I think you ought to consider The Lion King. It tells the same story as the movie, but it is presented in a very creative and moving way. It is totally original and I doubt they'll ever be anything like it on Broadway again. This is my top pick for you. Both adults and kids are blown away by it.

Wicked is an extremely popular musical with kids and, because it is basically the story if the "Land of OZ" pre-Dorothy, the kids will get it. It and Lion King are the two most popular shows on Broadway right now (based on ticket sales). I think it was lackluster in a couple of areas, but I go to theater often and am likely more jaded than most. I can't deny its popularity and, as I said, kids love it.

Other kid-friendly shows include Mary Poppins, which is similar to the movie, yet a little darker. It's a solid show and the theater that hosts it is a wonder for kids and adults alike.

Hairspray is a top notch musical and is certainly one of the best shows in years. It has memorable music, fun characters and the razz-ma-tazz you want in a Broadway show. It has racial integration as a theme, but nothing too racy for kids (in my opinion). I think it is one everyone will enjoy.

I haven't seen this production of Grease. I do recall a car (smooch) scene in the show that might be a bit mature for your kids.

Curtains is a show that is very much in the mold of the great old musicals. I think your kids will get bored.

Avenue Q is wonderful and akin to Sesame Street, however, it has very mature themes. Definitely try to see it some time, but not with your kids.

Jersey Boys is a great show. It deserved the awards it received and leaves the audience wanting more. Excellent - but not a show for kids.

Phantom of the Opera is Andrew Lloyd Weber. Either you love him or you hate him. I hate him. It's an opera. The kids will be bored.

Stay away from The Little Mermaid - it is an absolute stinker.

So, here's my recap

# 1 - The Lion King
    # 2 - Hairspray
    # 3 - Wicked
    # 4 - Mary Poppins

You might want to go to www.playbill.com. Register for free with the site and you will be able to access the special offers. You'll find discount tickets for many major shows.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the responses, especially the advice to ignore the usual no-Disney inclination. The advice is much appreciated! Now we'll see what tickets we can get. I'll check out playbill.com.

Thanks again! We're really looking forward to the trip!

Xanadu at Helen Hayes theater! A lot of fun for kids and adults alike.

Banned Member

^ So far, that's the best new musical of this season. Young Frankenstein and Little Mermaid were beyond bad.

Default Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Xanadu at Helen Hayes theater! A lot of fun for kids and adults alike.
    I'll be sure and add Xanadu to my July trip that I make.

Thanks,
    Ben

Default Acting on Broadway!

When I move to New York, I would like to continue my love for the theater/drama, as well as Photography and Graphic Design.

Where can I find websites/magazines that list the current auditions for Broadway? I wouldn't want a *HUGE* part, but if so, that'd be another way to pay rent.

Thanks,
    Ben

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this catagory. My favorite musical is RENT (which, unfortunately, is closing June 8th) with a close second being Spring Awakening. Both are absolutley amazing!!!

I thought that Mamma Miawas just too contrived, although the music was great if you are an ABBA fan. A Chorus Line was very good, albiet somewhat dated.

There are many shows that will raffle off the first couple of rows for $20.00 each, with a limit of 2 tickets on the day of the show. Check out each shows website to see if they do this. I have seen RENT many times by getting these tickets. Wednesday afternoons are usually the best bet for getting these tickets.

You can also check out Playbill.com for discount tickets. I have never paid full price for tickets and have gotten excellent seats!

Banned Member

Hi Pacz-

I tend to agree with you. My favorite rock musicals would definitely be RENT (saw it 6 times + went to the tenth anniversay performance by the original cast), Spring Awakening (saw it off broadway once + saw it on Broadway four times) and Off Broadway it was Hedwig and the Angry Inch - I saw that around ten times.

However, the guy asking for advice was bringing younger kids and I would not recommend any of them for anyone under 16.

Banned Member

I saw a number of shows recently all of which I'd highly recommend:

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad, Terrence Howard, and Anika Noni Rose. Excellent show with top notch performances. Sizzling Tennessee Williams script.

The Seafarer - I saw this with no knowledge of the story or plot. Riveting acting and story.

Gypsy - Patti Lupone is unforgettable. A definite Tony-winning performance with excellent staging. Goes to the top of the current musical revival list.

While in the city, the tour group I went with saw the following shows:

Chicago: Loved it. Although, a part of me that thinks this is the fact that I got to sit front row (middle) at this show. (mix up in the tickets). It was a fantasic show with a fantastic cast. I definitely reccomend it and would definitely see it again. Bianca Marroquin, who plays Roxie Hart in the show, is fantastic as the role, who can definitely sing a note.

The Little Mermaid: This was interesting. The music was alright and the actor who plays Flounder (who is only "12" years old) is both hysterical and brilliant. He is a fantastic singer and next to Sierra Boggess, who plays Ariel. Both were quite good performances. This, just from seeing it, is a VERY expensive musical, as seen from the set designs and costumes, but certainly not one of Disney's best musicals .. that is for certain.

Monty Python's Spamalot: Hilarious. I enjoyed every minute of this show. If you see it recently, you can see a remarkable cast who, in my opinion, should get a standing ovation every night! This includes Jonathan Hadary, Clay Aiken and Hannah Waddingham. All three put on amazing performances and Clay's role as Sir Robin was hysterical. His facial expressions and timing in this musical are hilarious.

I was "lucky enough" to get a seat next to an elderly chinese woman who seemed to LOVE Clay Aiken. It was also apparent that she had seen the show before because she would laugh before the jokes even happened!

Overall.. I reccomend the above three shows!

As a Musical Winds Down, the Writing’s on the Wall

Christian Hansen for The New York Times
    Caroline Willauer, of Maine, wrote on the wall outside the Nederlander Theater, where showgoers over the years have left admiring grafitti, all soon to be painted over.

By TINA KELLEY
    Published: March 29, 2008

At the lime-green wall, soon to be whitewashed, all the elements are there for poignant remembrances: a curtain scheduled to come down, forever; a creative genius who dies young, before his dreams come to life; a show about an exotic dancer who dies young and musically and slowly; and a doorway where the fans, more devoted than most, wait longer than usual, before and after each show.

Christian Hansen for The New York Times

Add a felt-tipped pen or two, and the tributes are spreading on the wall of the Nederlander Theater, where “Rent,” one of the longest-running musicals on Broadway, is approaching its final act, with the closing date set for Sept. 7.

Since the play, which won the Pulitzer Prize for drama, opened in 1996, theatergoers who have lined up outside the theater on West 41st Street have left a little love on the walls, doors and even ceilings.

The graffiti took off after celebrities started signing a hidden passage backstage. The theater is unusual in not having a tucked-away stage door for actors. Instead, to get to their dressing rooms, they enter through the main entrance, walk the length of the building and go down an outside alley.

The alley became a haunt of boldface names who did not want to mingle with the masses at intermission, Nick Kaledin, the company manager, explained.
    They left their autographs on the wall there, and some hint at the play’s longevity. Here’s Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, divorced since 2001, who wrote: “Brilliant, superb, wonderful. Thank you.”

Al and Nan Larson, the parents of Jonathan Larson, left their own tribute.

Their son, the show’s composer and librettist, died of an aortic aneurysm at age 35, two and a half weeks before the show opened. “Sexiest, most talented group of actors in New York (and Tim),” they wrote, referring to Tim Weil, the show’s musical director. “Thank you for bringing Jonathan’s vision to life.”

“What an exciting night. Joan Rivers. Thanks xoxo” is encircled by a big heart. “Where did all these talented people come from?” Billy Joel wrote. From the playwright and actor Christopher Durang: “What a journey this must have been. You are all amazing. Jonathan would be so proud.”

Farther along the white walls, there are the actors Chazz Palminteri, James Earl Jones and Kevin Spacey, the drag performer RuPaul (“Rock on”) and Vaclav Havel, a playwright and the former Czech president who is mentioned in a “Rent” lyric.

And while a wall like this could sell for big money on eBay, “in all likelihood it will all be whitewashed,” Mr. Kaledin said.

He said that a few Rentheads, the show’s diehard fans, who have seen the show dozens of times, had probably seen what he calls Autograph Alley and started to replicate it out front.

There, the graffiti includes testimony to the life-changing powers of the show, which is based loosely on Puccini’s opera “La Bohème” and celebrates art and community in the face of poverty and death: “Rent is bigger than Jesus. Michelle B. 1-22-08.”

Other entries include “Much love from Virginia Beach,” and, from when before the show’s run was extended: “6/1/08 Broadway dies. Please don’t close.”

The front of the Nederlander has more visitors than many theaters do, because fans line up for a 5:30 p.m. lottery of 34 front-row tickets, at $20 each.

Sonny Curry, who manages the lottery and the line, said at first that he thought the graffiti would be a problem for the theater’s management.

“Usually if I see them I tell them to stop, but they wait for autographs” long after he’s gone for the night, he said. “Or they’re here, waiting for the lottery.”

“Essentially, they’re really love notes,” Mr. Kaledin said.

“I don’t think it would work on any other show,” Mr. Curry said. “There’s a rebellious thing in the show.”

But after the show ends, the curtain will go down on the graffiti as well.

Mr. Curry looked at the doors to the theater, which since opening night have been covered with pictures of the show’s actors. “Especially these doors, I would say somebody would have to preserve them,” he said.

Mr. Kaledin added, “We’ll pop those off.”

And the walls?

“They’ll be painted for the next show,” which has not yet been announced, he said. “Broadway abhors a vacuum.”

Copyright 2008 The New York Times.

What is this?? Has anyone heard any more news on this show?

http://www.broadway.com/gen/show.aspx?SI=559922

What more is there to know, your link probably say's it all for the moment.

Unless you want to audition.

################################################## #

Shrek, Donkey Sought for Broadway

Tuesday, May 01, 2007
    By: Ryan Ball

The upcoming DreamWorks Animation and Neal Street Prods. Ltd. Broadway production of Shrek is trolling the swamp to find two actors to play Shrek and Donkey. The creative team, led by producers Sam Mendes and Caro Newling, is seeking male performers in their 20s or 30s, from all cultural backgrounds, to bring the iconic animated characters to the stage. A two-week reading is being planned for this summer (July 23-August 3) in New York, followed by a Broadway opening in 2008.

For Shrek, they’re looking for someone with a powerful presence and strength with true rock or R&B vocals, preferably a baritone. Donkey hopefuls should have a contemporary, urban edge and good comic timing. Performers with backgrounds in slam poetry, comedy, and hip hop are preferred.

Anyone can audition for these role by making a video recording of themselves singing one song (no lip-syncing). The video must be copied to a DVD clearly labeled with a name and contact information. The submission packet must also include a headshot or recent photograph and a resume or list of background experience complete with current contact information (address, phone number and e-mail). All three items are to be mailed by Friday, May 18 to:

DreamWorks Animation
    I Want To Be Shrek
    PO Box 2693
    New York, NY 10108

Featuring music by Jeanine Tesori, and book and lyrics by Pulitzer Prize winner David Lindsay-Abaire, Shrek on Broadway is being directed by Jason Moore. The show is based on the children's book by William Steig and DreamWorks Animation’s hugely successful feature films. The series will officially become a trilogy when Shrek the Third arrives in theaters on May 18. For information updates on the Broadway auditions, go to http://iwanttobeshrek.com.

Copyright Animation magazine.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast