Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn - Proposed City Tech Tower - by Renzo Piano

Why papers so compelled to publish all these Nimby arguments and label it as news? I regret finding a rendering. No wonder most projects stay under wraps until construction is under way.

Yes, they are going to scrap the school. God, these nimby's are irritatingly dumb.

You Compare: City Tech 'Old Model' to City Tech 'Today Model'

mcbrooklyn
    December 3, 2007

After all of the excitement about the new City Tech/Ratner tower at the corner of Tillary and Jay Streets -- possibly the tallest building(s) in Brooklyn to date -- the NY Daily News reported that Forest City Ratner spokesperson Loren Riegelhaupt claims that the breathtaking rendering being displayed on blogs and in newspapers (seen on upper left) is stale. "This model is an old model," said Riegelhaupt, who said a height for the building has not been decided. "It's an early rendering and not a reflection of what we're considering today."

Compare the rendering to the draft shown today on the City Tech Web site (right). The configuration, adjusting for angle, is remarkably similar, though the final height is hard to fathom.

City Tech's site confirms: "City Tech will soon be the home to what is sure to be the architectural landmark of Brooklyn. Standing at the corner of Tillary and Jay Streets, directly across from the Namm Building will soon be the most original piece of architecture since the Brooklyn Bridge, a masterpiece conceived by the celebrated architect Renzo Piano."

This looks more promising. No stupid spire/rods.

Banned Member

It looks more lame to me.

The two pictures are showing opposite ends / differing perspectives of the plan, yes?

Not a big fan of either, and the new rendering is crude...but I agree with BR.

This looks anything but more promising, but this is just a sketch.

Still cant judge at this point.

Banned Member

Well, I judged the first one, so I'll take that liberty with the second. I don't know the right way to express my reaction to it other than saying, "It looks dumbed down."

Default Amen

Sanitized, sterilized, scrubbed down ... I actually liked the first design. With the bold yellow stripe cutting through the black it had an edge to it. This one is like the NYT building meets the Bloomberg tower. And it assumes we're all just a bit dumber.

will soon be the most original piece of architecture since the Brooklyn Bridge,
    Someone with a keyboard is smoking the crack pipe again. What? Original?
    The first rendering was nothing special but this one is even more forgettable.

what is sure to be the architectural landmark of Brooklyn
    more bull.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Someone with a keyboard is smoking the crack pipe again. What? Original?
    The first rendering was nothing special but this one is even more forgettable.
    I don't think being high would make this tower look original (though would probably make it look better). Shameless marketing and ego trips make people say crazier things than crack does.

i like renzo's first rendering even tho its a lazy ripoff...whoops...i mean creative reimagining...of his nytimes tower.

anyhoo it's better than the newer version.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

So much for all that short-lived excitement...

Ratner kills Mr. Brooklyn

By Gersh Kuntzman
    The Brooklyn Paper
    March 1, 2008

Developer Bruce Ratner has pulled out of a deal with City Tech that could have net him hundreds of millions of dollars and allowed him to build the city’s tallest residential tower, the so-called Mr. Brooklyn, The Brooklyn Paper has learned.

“It was a mutual decision,” said a key executive at the City University of New York, which would have paid Ratner $300 million to build a new dorm and lab for City Tech and given him a prime plot at the corner of Tillary and Jay streets where he reportedly hoped to build the 100-story, Renzo Piano-designed building.

“Both sides agreed that the costs had escalated and the numbers showed that we should not go down that road,” added the executive, who did not wish to be identified.

Costs had indeed escalated. In 2005, CUNY agreed to pay Ratner $86 million to build the 11- to 14-story classroom-dormitory and also to hand over the lucrative development site where City Tech’s Klitgord Auditorium now sits.
    Then in December, CUNY raised Ratner’s fee to $307 million with no explanation.

“Ratner’s ‘Mr. Brooklyn’ deal gets sweeter,” The Brooklyn Paper headline read.

Still, it’s likely that Ratner willingly got out of the deal in light of the nation’s ongoing credit crunch (see story below) and his own shaky finances, said Councilman David Yassky.

“He may be overextended right now,” said Yassky (D– Brooklyn Heights). “Look, a lot of developers are re-evaluting their numbers and feel that residential buildings don’t work right now,” he said.

Yassky called Ratner’s withdrawal “good news” for Brooklyn.

“A residential building at that corner was an awkward fit,” said Yassky. “A lot of planners see that site as ideal for a significant office building.”

Forest City Ratner did not return two messages from The Brooklyn Paper.

The CUNY official said the dorm and lab would still be built — but no longer as a public-private partnership.

“We’ll build it in partnership with the state Dormitory Authority,” the executive said.

©2008 The Brooklyn Paper

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast