Thread: Apple Store - 401 West 14th Street @ Ninth Avenue - by Cook + Fox

Default Apple Store - 401 West 14th Street @ Ninth Avenue - by Cook + Fox

AppleInsider
    November 30, 2007

It's official: third Manhattan Apple flagship to open Dec 7

By AppleInsider Staff

A concept rendering of the renovated retail space at 14th Street and 9th Avenue.

While Apple has yet to issue its routine press release, large acrylic bills posted near the site of the company's nearly complete flagship retail store on West 14th Street in Manhattan are announcing a grand opening on December 7.

The large store (1, 2, 3, 4) at the corner of 9th Avenue and 14th Street in the heart of the city's Meatpacking District will be spread over two levels connected by a spiral glass staircase, which is already installed (photo below).

Apple will occupy the highly-visible corner space in the store, with at least two other tenants taking up other spaces in the building. Like Apple's other stores on the island, the architecture at this location will be distinctive and won't include a stainless steel exterior. Rather, it will be mostly large framed windows and masonry.

The December 7th data was first reported by our friends over at ifoAppleStore earlier in the week. A big thanks also goes out AppleInsider reader, Eric, for snapping the below photo, and Curbed for the photo of the glass staircase (also below).

AppleInsider © 1997-2006

This is going to send this already rediculously hot area into a whole new orbit.

Why didn't I buy one of those run down industrial buildings in the area for dirt cheap 10 years ago when the only thing happening down here was meat processing and tranny prostitution?

My first thought looking at that W14@ sign was, "Those trains don't go there, you need to take the L." Then I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post

Why didn't I buy one of those run down industrial buildings in the area for dirt cheap 10 years ago when the only thing happening down here was meat processing and tranny prostitution?
    Could it be because, rather than saving your pennies, you spent all your hard earned cash on those other neighborhood activites?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Could it be because, rather than saving your pennies, you spent all your hard earned cash on those other neighborhood activites?
    That's hilarious!

thanks for the Ahole comment. didnt expect it from u.

Here's a photo of the store's fantastic 3 story tall circular glass staircase:

Gizmodo has a great video tour of the store as well as some photos here.

Meanwhile, ifo Apple Store has some photos of the new store as well as taken from outside

Apple claims that the store will be the City's largest.

I think the store looks great, and my only surprise is to the fact that the store opening has kept below the radar of much of the media -- something that is unusual by Apple standards, or by their Fifth Avenue cube standards.

The Mac Observer
    December 10, 2007

New York Apple Store Opening: Scuffles and Rioting

by John Martellaro

At the opening of the Apple retail store at 14th Street and 9th Ave in New York on December 7th, a very large crowd became somewhat aggressive when the doors opened, and turned riotous, according to Kenn Marks Sr. at PowerPage on Saturday.

There was light snowfall as 6:00 PM approached with an estimated 6,800 in line. "Everyone in line was congenial and typical Apple event camaraderie abounded, that is until the doors opened then the rock concert mentality kicked in; pushing shoving and line jumping," Mr. Marks reported. "The NYPD and hired SECURITY force had to increase it's presence and started ejecting rowdy persons from the line."

"My friend who went up to NY from the Philly area with me has attended over a dozen Apple openings worldwide and he said this one really scared him so much, almost to the point of leaving the line and going back to Philly without our goodies" Mr. Marks continued. "I have attended a couple other Store openings myself and yes this was the most disorganized and uncontrolled of any."

Even more alarming was this observation: "People on crutches were almost being pushed to the ground and they crowded almost to suffocation a man in a wheel chair. The line did not care, they wanted their freebies," the report said.

One person told Mr. Marks that he'd received an e-mail from Apple "stating the first 10 people in line would receive a free laptop." Two local radio stations reported that "free iPods would be given to anyone in line over age 21."

Mr. Marks couldn't confirm the larger prizes, but most people ended up with US$10 iTunes gift certificates and a poster of Manhattan comprised of a grid of iPhone/Google map displays.

[UPDATE: The original story was attributed incorrectly to Jason O'Grady. The author of the story at Mr. O'Grady's PowerPage.org Website was Kenn Marks, Sr.]

© The Mac Observer, Inc.

That spiral staircase still amazes me. It most certainly beats out any other Apple staircase ... in my opinion.

Thanks for the picture MidtownGuy.

The Dude Abides

Like walking on air.

Wonder if there's a weight restriction

Quote Originally Posted by The Benniest View Post
    That spiral staircase still amazes me. It most certainly beats out any other Apple staircase ... in my opinion.

Thanks for the picture MidtownGuy.

Same staircase going in the 67th and broadway, with alot more glass.