Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1552 Broadway - The I. Miller Shoe Building (Times Square) - by Louis H. Friedland

Word from the Actors Equity Building is that this expansion will take over the 2nd, 3rd & 4th floors of that neighboring building at 165 W. 46th Street (the Equity audition center now taking up most of the 2nd floor will move up to the 16th Floor and some affiliated union offices on the 3rd & 4th floors will move to upper floors).

Express is the retail tenant that has been mentioned as doing the expansion.

The work includes total restoration of the facade of the I. Miller Building; that work was recently approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Also approved is new and larger signage atop the I. Miller Building; that work will include removing some existing signs that obscure portions of the I. Miller facade along W. 46th Street.

Early Celebrity Endorsements in Times Square Architecture

by Dave Hogarty

[Scouting NY]

Clothing retailer Express is taking over the building at 1552 Broadway in Times Square—replacing the T.G.I. Friday's that has made so many out-of-towners feel at home in Manhattan over the years—and Scouting NY notes the long history of the building. Beneath the T.G.I. Friday's billboards is a sooty limestone and marble exterior distinguished by four statues of early 20th century celebrities standing in a quartet of aediculae, which are wall articulations topped with pediments. The four figures residing in these aediculae are Mary Pickford, Marilyn Miller, Ethel Barrymore, and Rosa Ponselle.

The four female stars of stage and screen were picked to adorn the facade of the I. Miller shoe store when the building was constructed in 1921, and blurs the line between celebrity endorsement of a store or brand and a store paying tribute to famous people of the day—I. Miller's early customers were primarily actors and dancers. Scouting NY hopes that Express will treat the building with some respect. In 2010, Ephemeral NY noted that the structure is landmarked, despite its rundown appearance.

An Open Letter To Express: Will You Help Save A Times Square Treasure? [ScoutingNY]
    The Show Folks Shoe Shop hiding in Times Square [EphemeralNY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...chitecture.php

The plywood is down and the old I. Miller store has returned in all its original glory. Plus the new storefront facing Broadway is fantastic, with historically influenced details, including rounded glass at the corners. The mega-signage above is massive but, for the most part, sits back enough to let the old beauty shine (it does, however, project enough over Broadway to partially block the big yellow "M" at the south end of the MacDonalds next door).

Photos & Report from Bowery Boogie:

Express Gussies Up Historic Times Square ‘I. Miller Building’ with Huge LED Panels

http://www.boweryboogie.com/2013/12/...ge-led-panels/

December 13th, 2013 at 10:10 am by Elie

T.G.I. Friday’s occupied the valuable real estate at 1552 Broadway in Times Square for over a decade. But the chain departed
    the landmark I. Miller building in September 2012, instead moving further east on 46th Street. The torch is now passed to
    Columbus-based retailer Express, which has been busy transforming the corner for the last year.

Its token statues portraying leading actresses of the 1920s were removed for safe keeping during this transformation,

but have since returned to the facade. And the marquee lettering is refurbished. The most notable difference now,
    however, is that the analog advertecture has been replaced by a ginormous new LED screen directly above the building.
    This massive onslaught provides even more daylight to Times Square tourists at night … just in time for New Year’s Eve.

1552 Broadway itself is a card-carrying landmark, having once served as the headquarters for I. Miller shoes. Back in the 1920s,
    this business was a showroom that supplied actors and dancers with fancy footwear (“The Show Folks Shoe Shop Dedicated to Beauty in Footwear”).
    Of course, that history is heretofore co-opted into the Express image…

For a minute, this yellowed piece of late 1990s commercial ephemera was exposed for thousands of eyeballs to see.
    That of Levi’s SilverTab jeans. It was left untouched for years behind the trademark pinstriped advertising of Friday’s.

Levi’s ghost signage above 1552 Broadway, September 2012

Walked by this a few weeks ago while they were still wrapping up, and I have to say, it came out really really well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123