Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Tower 111 @ 883-889 Sixth Avenue (W. 31st & W. 32nd) - by Costas Kondylis

Great wavy gravy.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I like the massing of this building, maybe I've said this before.

I agree. I think that it's a fine addition, particulary for a filler tower in an area that's evolving.

Compared to the other 6th ave towers south of it, it might as well be the mona lisa. I'll give you that.

Here's a few from the base to fulfill a request over at SSF.

I'm glad the building next door could keep some of their side windows.

Ok, it is a fine filler.. but..

What is this, 1990's all over again? It would be nice if NY took some inspiration from Asia and London. A little flair would do a world of good sometimes, you know? Another major yawn of 1990's Houston box goes up in NYC, while they build structural twisting marvels in Shanghai and London. No wonder NY is starting to look old hat in terms of modern innovation. Just look at Hudson yards!

India Tower. Now I know Mumbai is a major mess right now in many areas and fancy futuristic towers are the least thing that they should be interested in, but at least they have some audacity to plan something that looks like it comes from the planet Zeta Reticulai rather than Penn Plaza or Hudson Blvd.

I disagree with you, FutureCity. The Beekman Tower is one of the best skyscrapers in the world. Moreover, the City of London is now succumbing to crap too. 100 Bishopsgate sucks. (Canary Wharf always has built crap.)

Well, I disagree on the Beekman. I don't think it can be rated amongst the best in the world at all. I'd say it is a major bore from one side.

London has crap, but at least a couple of its best new towers are cutting edge futurism rather than glorified boxes like in NYC. I'd like to see NY build something that has some movement in its form, it would really stand out and become an instant icon. Oh, and don't tell me about Verre, Leonard, etc... I don't consider proposals until they are rising skyward.
    Last edited by futurecity; June 6th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.

^ broken record

Maybe just be patient and just ask for some good-competent design in the meantime.
    I bet many of these meaningless "futuristic" blobs that you praise will look dated in a few decades anyway --like many of the buildings that aimed to be "futuristic" in the past.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; June 7th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

They are hardly 'blobs'. I hate blobs. The London Shard, the Shanghai Tower, Bishopsgate, India Tower, Seoul Lotte 2? These are striking towers with defined forms. They will be instant icons in their cities and redefine each city's respective outlooks and will reshape each city's image in the eyes of the greater public.
    Last edited by futurecity; June 7th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

India Tower is basically canceled. And the towers you name are pretty much exceptional and unprecedented for their respective cities. You make it sound as if these cities are building icons all over the place.

If you're waiting for a tower to redefine NYC, it's not going to emerge in the middle of a recession on the corner of 31st Street and Sixth Avenue.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; June 7th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.

That's a shame! That tower was an extremely advanced design for sure. I did think it was a little premature for Mumbai at this point though, but we'll see.

London is building 3 world-class icons at once, incredible for a city that had no impact on the skyscraper design world 10 years ago. Not only are they unprecedented for that city, but they are all highly futuristic towers that have unique forms. They look like something out of a sci-fi novel.
    Last edited by futurecity; June 8th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.

A new 22-story Gene Kaufman is slated to rise on the parking lot in the foreground.

Great photo, Derek. That's Epic's good side.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789