Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Franciscian moving to NYC

Default San Franciscian moving to NYC

Hello!

I will be moving to New York next coming summer with my Father. I will be attending the Dwight School on financial aid but my only problem--finding an apartment.

I will be working part time to help out of Dad (he's an optician) and I'm really concerned that we won't be able to make it. My Dad is dead set on finding an apartment in the city--even after my convincing of other neighborhoods outside of the city.

I've tried telling him about less expensive areas in the city, such as Morningside Heights and etc. He originally was born and raised in New York and is dead set on not living in those areas.

I'm trying to shoot for finding a minimum wage job in the restaurant business. I have experience in waitressing, hostessing, and etc. I just need some advice on what to look for. Etc., etc., etc.

Just basic advice. Please . I'm from San Francisco

Take a look in this thread: Moving to New York

There, use the "Search This Thread" option.

Do separate searches using using the words "apartment" "neighborhood" and whatever else might take you to info that you want.

If you don't find enough helpful info then I pop back here and ask something more specific.

Most important is to be realistic about your budget: What ill you have to spend / month?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Tell your dad that many of those "undesirable" areas that he used to think was bad are no longer that. Many of those places have been gentrified and they are much safer (and no longer that affordable either). Look on craigslist for listings.

You might have to initially do the sharing thing. That will not only cut down on costs but also be far easier to secure at first. Then after you become familiar and have jobs and so forth, then you can find a place of your own for the two of you.

By the way, if you're from SF, then you wouldn't have price shock as the prices between the two places are pretty comparable. Good luck.

Well my Dad is a licensed optician and works for Foreyes. He will be transferring to the Foreyes at Grand Central Station. He's originally from the city and has seen New York when it was really bad.

Today I tried convincing him about the changed neighborhoods. He has seemed to budge a little bit.

Yes I'm born and raised in San Francisco! The prices in San Francisco compared to New York are around the same. Except there are more acceptable and a bit affordable places in good neighborhoods here.

Oh, and my Dad has $15,000 saved up which I think will go the setting up of the apartment and etc. I will also be working part time as either a waitress or hostess. Do you know how much these types usually get paid? What is the average hourly pay?

Thanks!

Waitressing / Hosting income depends entirely on the restaurant where you work and can range from measly to a pocketful of cash.

No way to give you specfics -- Be ready to hit the pavement and sell your abilities when you get to NYC.

Good luck (from another native SFBayer who moved this way eons ago).

Thanks so much! All of my family, beside me, are from New York. A lot of my cousins live in Long Island, NY Chinatown, and Jersey City. A few also live in upstate New York. So hopefully we'll be able to stay w/ them if we cannot find an apartment in time? I'm very excited because I went during the summer time and it was really beautiful! I love the rush of crowds--very unlike San Francisco in a way.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i'd recommend looking in the carroll gardens, boerum hill, cobble hill, brooklyn heights vicinity - all well established communities with tons of resources and relatively conveninent to manhattan. and of course, rents are cheaper than in mahanttan.

Do you know how much the rents are for 1 bedroom in the Chinatown/Little Italy area? Also, what about the Alphabet City and Delancey Street areas?

Thanks.

You got that right! He used to tell me of these stories of these junkies he'd see lining up around the corner in Harlem. He also told me of police cars just driving by like nothing was happening. He spoke of the prostitutes in Time Square and the graffiti and homeless. It doesn't seem like that at ALL anymore. I just went there this summer and everything seems so unlike what he told me! He hasn't been back since he left...which was around Lindsay's time.

But today he said: "As long as you find a place anywhere, beside Jersey, Long Island, or Queens, that is cheap with a one bedroom than I am fine." He's indeed very stubborn!

NYC was also affordable back then.

Now ... well, you'll see soon enough

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

KrissySF, don't go to Chinatown. There aren't many places available there and they're all very expensive.

If your dad will be working @ Grand Central, then the most convenient place for him would be anywhere along the #7 subway line, especially Long Island City.

Other options incude the Upper East Side where the # 4/5/6 trains run. They all go through Grand Central and it'll just be a hop, skip and jump away.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

If your dad will be working @ Grand Central, then the most convenient place for him would be anywhere along the #7 subway line, especially Long Island City.
    Which means he'll have to get over his odd aversion to Queens. I think it would help if you told us how much you're looking to spend in rent. It's hard to give you suggestions without hard numbers.

Also, congratulations on your financial aid, KrissySF. You're going to be attending a great school.

Thanks. I was scared shitless they weren't going to give me any financial aid. The school is so much better than the public one I'm attending in SF right now. So much better.

Well my Dad wants to spend no more than $1200. Which will be very hard. The only apartments I found in that price range were in Harlem. I found some in East Harlem (which I hear is becoming a very nice neighborhood?). The rest I found in that price range were in Morningside Heights and Bronx.

Don't get me started on what his reaction was about the Bronx!

You'll honestly be hard-pressed to find an apartment anywhere in Manhattan other than East Harlem.

You seem to have a good perspective on things, but your father really needs to realize that beggars can't be choosers. The Bronx suits me just fine, and I think it would suit your father to stop turning up his nose at areas he couldn't afford to live in even if he wanted to.

I'm curious, though- which part of San Francisco do you live in? It's not like housing is that much cheaper over there.

I live in Upper Nob Hill. Even though the prices are expensive down here, especially where I live, we got the place because their is some special restriction to raise the rent. I've only lived in this specific place for 2-years. We pay $1085 a month for a 1-bedroom. It's around 450sq ft.

I wouldn't mind living in any area but it's just my Dad. I'm slowly trying to chip away at him!

Where did you used to live in SF? Oh and if you don't mind me asking, do you live in the Bronx?
    Last edited by KrissySF; December 24th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast