Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Mike Bloomberg for President, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Cheney is the CEOs' Man in Washington. He does their bidding.

Corporate America is far more powerful than the politicians. They own them. Some end up with a good payback. Cheney is one who gets a HUGE payback from corporate America.

And just wait and see what they shower him with once he's out of office.

You're delusional. Cheney is Texas and big oil's man in Washington. That's a different club.

Will he make lots of dough when he leaves office? I'm sure he will. As a former Vice President of the most powerful country in the world, he is a hyper-connected career politician, Washington insider. Any company that wants to get to the ear of important people in Washington will pay him a fat consulting fee for access. That's what politicians do when they "retire".

On another note, it always blows my mind how many anti-Capitalist, anti-corporate, anti-business people there are here on a New York skyscraper forum.

Do you not understand that these buildings are the physical manifestation of corporate America? These towers that you all spend hours, nay, years worth of hours of your life, reading about, writing about, studying and reporting upon are both the trophies of and containers for the very companies, executives, and CEOs of Capitalist corporate America that you then come here and poo-poo in the political forum.

Is there anybody else besides me that sees the irony in this?

The Dude Abides

You're definitely not alone.

It amazes me that some people who live in representative republics don't realize that good business does not mean good government.

Are you really amazed?

I was struck when watching the last republican debate in Florida by the different jobs the candidates seemed to be interviewing for.

Romney - CEO of USA Corp.
    Giuliani - Sheriff of USA County
    Huckabee - Dr. Phil of USA Network
    McCain - President of VFW Post USA
    Ron Paul - People's advocate of the USA

Were the federal gov't to be run more like a corporation, we'd do well to realize that "we the people" aren't the shareholders.

Actually, maybe we'd be better off if the government were run like a corporation. Maybe it wouldn't be losing money at the vast rate it now is.

In some ways Mike, yes. But you have to realize that private industry is out for the bottom line. there are VERY FEW in corporate America that are interested in their clientèle in any more of a fashion than to keep them around long enough to keep buying stuff.

The Pharmaceuticals are a good example of private industry in a mainly civic role. The only one that comes out worse may be the HMO's... But that is another subject.

I think certain things should be run more like businesses, but thinking that the entire thing should is not very healthy....

You think a private industry would try to make itself smaller and take less money?

And Chris, what's with the belligerent attitude there?

Most of the people here are not against business, but you have to realize that Business is a VERY powerful animal. Our government has let the beast ride us instead of the other way around. Government should not control the beast, mind you, nit should make sure that it does not eat our babies!
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; February 5th, 2008 at 02:20 PM.

Corporations can't just print money and deficit spend into oblivion like governments with a central bank and fiat currency can. Without first solving this problem with a convertible commodity backed currency or other real check against profligate money creation then budgets and bottom lines will continue to mean little to spendthrift Washington.

A corporation can issue only so much stock without driving the share price down. And shareholders are only wiling to hold for so long as dividends go to zero.

Now imagine being a shareholder of a company that can print its dividend checks and mail them out just by going deeper into the red. The share price might even retain some value, and the company would probably be able to keep selling shares. At what point is your bank going to refuse their checks?

Lets take a look at the shares of USA that are out there. At what point is the dollar going to be refused by these shareholders?

Cheney wants the country run without any regulations except those that the CEO says are in effect.

His connection to Halliburton goes way beyond some little Texas oil clique.

Chris: I'm wondering --- Do you have a crush on Dick?

Default Uh Oh

I know I will get pounded for this one but I would so vote for Mike if he decided to run. I think he is brilliant. He is all about helping New York and the fact that he doesn't take a salary is awesome. I know that he has momey and doesn't need the pay, but you could never have enough money. I have met and dined with him several times and his views blow me away.
    This election coming up is awful.
    You have iceberg Clinton who I don't trust at all then you have Obama who was sent to Muslim school and raised that way, and even though he is not Muslim...he still has that background. I don't think that our president should have anything to do with the religion that took us down.
    As for the Republicans....ouch..They all suck. I have no clue what to do on election day.

What you should do on election day?

Try crawling back into the hole you came out of ...

Default Hmph!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    What you should do on election day?

Try crawling back into the hole you came out of ...
    What's that suppose to mean?

The place ^ where they tell you lies about Obama and the so-called Muslim connection.

The same lies you seem so willing and eager to pass on.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

I also missed the news about Islam taking down the United States. I didn't even realize we were "up," let alone taken "down."

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I also missed the news about Islam taking down the United States. I didn't even realize we were "up," let alone taken "down."
    I said Muslims took as down as in 9/11. I also said that Obama is NOT muslim.