Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Bloomberg for President, 2008

At least for a while, no form of government is more efficient than a dictatorship.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Doesn't it just kill you that Cheney isn't running?
    What is this a reference to? Cheney's been in politics since at least the Ford administration, when he was Chief of Staff. He's one of the longest-serving politicians we have. And living proof that that's the worst kind. He's as corrupt as they come.

(you ^ need to read MikeW's post that I was responding to. until then ...)

Don't you dare come in here and say bad things about Dick.

What has the Big C Man ever done to hurt you? Or anyone, for that matter?

He is a paragon of Honor and a servant to Truth & Liberty.

I would give my first born for the man, should he ever ask me directly to do so.

The Dude Abides

I did read the post, and I don't see what I'm missing. MikeW said he wanted a hard-nosed, CEO /corporate leader type. It sounded to me like you were asking him to justify that in the case of Cheney. I thought I should point out that long before he became a CEO of Halliburton, he was a career politician.

Cheney = politician first, CEO later. Bloomberg would be the reverse of that.

(And I'm no fan of Cheney, so I don't get the sarcasm.)

Cheney is the corporate politician par excellence.

Before this gets out of control, I want to assure everyone that I am NOT making the case for totalitarianism. MikeW, I am not sure if you are, but you sure seem to be heading in that direction by suggesting that we need a strong leader that will force is agenda down our throats.

My point once again is that if he runs, Bloomberg is free to do so on his own terms. Whatever his reasons for timing (and I really do think they are what I previously suggested) he is a citizen, he has the right to run, and he does not have to abide by the schedule of the democratic and republican parties.

Cheney, at least in his stint as VP, has been a little to transparent about the fact that all he's doing is protecting/furthering his own interests.

Whatever you want to say about Bloomberg, you really can't accuse him of that, at least based on his actions so far.

Also, as the economy deteriorates, someone with proven business acumen is going to look better than the standard issue political hacks.

Doesn't it just kill you that Cheney isn't running?

How can he dare to fail us and NOT fulfill his own Manifest Destiny as the One True Ruler of the Western World ???

He'd sure as hell know what to do with those whiny types.

ps: And SCREW the legislative branch !

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    Also, as the economy deteriorates, someone with proven business acumen is going to look better...
    IF we accept that the POTUS can do one wit about "business cycles" then maybe your contention might be valid. To the contrary, Bloomberg is at the very least deeply entwined in the financial industry to which the current economic downturn can be attributed. I don't fault Wall Street for wanting their very own presidential inside man, but anyone besides their cadre of sycophants and hangers on that thinks moving the nation ever more toward an overt oligarchy is misguided and, dare I say -- treacherous.

As opposed to the mostly bought and paid for political hacks that are running in the primaries. Where do you think they're getting their money?

The point being advanced in this thread is that Bloomberg is somehow different, not that the others are just like him.

So tell me in what way (specific policies) Bloomberg acted as the CEO of New York City during his terms as mayor?

He's different in at least one very specific way:

Everyone else currently in the race has to go begging for money to fund their campaigns. That money comes with strings attached. We all know this.

Bloomberg doesn't.

As to the rest of your question:

The two I can think of off the top of my head are raising prices, er, taxes, when the city had a big budget deficit (actually I wish he had been more corporate and had big layoffs. It would have been a great opportunity to prune some dead wood). Also, he managed to wrest control of the school system from the Board of Ed, giving him essentially direct control.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The point being advanced in this thread is that Bloomberg is somehow different, not that the others are just like him.

So tell me in what way (specific policies) Bloomberg acted as the CEO of New York City during his terms as mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    The two I can think of off the top of my head are raising prices, er, taxes, when the city had a big budget deficit (actually I wish he had been more corporate and had big layoffs.
    What

He's different in at least one very specific way: Everyone else currently in the race has to go begging for money to fund their campaigns. That money comes with strings attached. We all know this. Bloomberg doesn't.
    That's how he's different from others running for office, not different from others in office. Do you think everyone is just going to fall into line and do what he wants?

I can think of one good example of Bloomberg acting as the CEO of New York - when he first promoted his Westside Railyard plan. Fell flat on his face.

Banned Member

Thumbs up I admit that I like what he is saying here....

January 20, 2008

Bloomberg Creates a Task Force to Advocate for U.S. Infrastructure Needs

By RAY RIVERA

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg attacked Washington politicians on Saturday for what he called short-sighted, politically motivated spending while the nation’s roads, bridges and airports fall apart.

“Infrastructure isn’t sexy or glamorous, and it doesn’t make for great headlines,” Mr. Bloomberg said in Los Angeles, “but it is one of the most important issues facing our country.

“And make no mistake about it, we have an infrastructure crisis.”

Joined by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California, a Republican, and Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania, a Democrat, the mayor announced the creation of a nonpartisan organization that will advocate for more, and smarter, federal spending on infrastructure.

The organization, Building America’s Future, will comprise elected officials and others, and it will be financed by the Rockefeller Foundation, a frequent collaborator with the mayor on pet projects.

Drawing on images like the levy failures in New Orleans, the bridge collapse in Minnesota and the nation’s congested airports, Mr. Bloomberg said China, Malaysia and other countries were investing in infrastructure at higher rates than the United States.

As he lashed out at Congress, his possible presidential ambitions seemed never far from the surface. While maintaining that he is not a candidate, the mayor met with Clay Mulford, who was Ross Perot’s campaign manager and is an expert at third-party ballot access, in Austin, Tex., during the first leg of his trip on Friday.

Building on the nonpartisan theme he has cultivated since at least June, when he dropped his Republican affiliation and became an independent, Mr.

Bloomberg took aim on Saturday at party bickering, saying it had contributed to the country’s crumbling infrastructure.

“In politics, winning elections and protecting a party majority is more important than solving problems,” he said. “So short-term pork invariably wins over long-term investing, and the special interests win over the rest of us.”

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Cheney is the corporate politician par excellence.

Cheney is in no way what so ever part of the private sector. He is the living embodiment of a career politician. After an entire life in federal politics, he took a brief hiatus when the other party was in power to be CEO of a govertment contractor to the military. A company whose board wanted to hire someone with major Washington insider connections to slop up big-pork goverment contracts, and Cheney agreed to take the job to make some big dough for himself during his brief downtime, until his party got another shot at the oval office.

Your pathetic attempt to paint private sector candidates with Cheney's brush is laughable.

Cheney is the CEOs' Man in Washington. He does their bidding.

Corporate America is far more powerful than the politicians. They own them. Some end up with a good payback. Cheney is one who gets a HUGE payback from corporate America.

And just wait and see what they shower him with once he's out of office.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast