Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Time in NYC

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Benniest View Post
    Anyone ever at at the Celeste Diner. It says in our packet that we will be eating breakfast there. Any suggestions? Is this in Brooklyn?
    This is at the very foot of the Brooklyn Bridge ramp. It should be fine (with lots of selections and reasonable pricing.)

www.celestediner.com

The Roxy Deli. I'm guessing this is in Times Square, and it seems right because we are eating dinner there Tuesday night before Chicago. Is this place good? Again, any suggestions?
    This is classic New York Deli along the lines of the Carnegie Deli or Katz's Delicatessen. Quintissential New York dining. Suggestions: Pastrami on rye bread with mustard. Corned Beef on rye bread with mustard. Be prepared for a $15.00 sandwich, but it should be 6 inches tall.

What is the Amish Market in Battery Park? We're scheduled to again, have breakfast there for $7 one morning and was curious as to what it was. Thanks.
    I know the Amish Market over on Greenwich Street. It has a wide array of salad bars and steam tables (hot buffet style food.) It also has sandwiches, hot meals, pizza, and a bakery. You should be able to grab a ham, 2 eggs & cheese on a roll with juice & coffee for $7.00 - easy.

Another morning, before we see the Today Show in Rockefeller Plaza, we're going to eat at Bocca. Any suggestions?
    They ought to have standard breakfast fare. Go for your personal typical breakfast.

http://www.boccatogo.com/

Last but not least ... MARS, for dinner. Again, I'm guessing this restaurant is in Times Square or close too.
    I'm guessing that this one is Mars 2112. It is a Mars-themed restaurant. You enter through a launch pad and get in a flying saucer to travel to Mars. A minute or two of shake, rattle & roll and you are on Mars. Haven't been there in years. They have aliens walking around and they used to have a water fall of white goo that rolled down in a gooey river running through the place. The bar area was kind of cool too. The food was Asian-American, meaning it was food you are probably familiar with prepared in an Asian-style. The food was pretty good when I was there. I just remember it being very loud in the restaurant. Be adventurous in ordering.

www.mars2112.com

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. The tour also seems to be sensitive to the expenses of New York. The breakfast selections are not fancy places, but they are rather practical. Sounds like you are with a good tour. Feel free to keep asking questions. Remember to pack your camera!

Thanks for your input on the above restaurants BrooklynRider. This definitely helped. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

Thanks guys!
    Ben

Default souvenirs!

During dinner last night, my mom and I were talking constantly about our trip and I was telling about Wired New York and how I was getting amazing tips and help. Sooo..we were both wondering this: Is there something more valuable that people get in NYC besides a t-shirt that says I <3 NY on it. (or a keychain).

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
    Ben

Banned Member

As a New Yorker, I personally own a mini Statue of Liberty (high quality resin) and an Empire State Building (crystal).

Ooh. Thanks BrooklynRider. Any idea on a price range of either of those?

Banned Member

You'll see Statue of Liberty statues from $10.00 up. The higher the cost the higher the quality (or size). I think mine is six or seven inches of very high quality.

The crystal was over $100, but there are variations all over the city for different ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    You'll see Statue of Liberty statues from $10.00 up. The higher the cost the higher the quality (or size). I think mine is six or seven inches of very high quality.

The crystal was over $100, but there are variations all over the city for different ranges.
    Okay. Thank you BR. I'll probably have to go with the small statue of Lady Liberty for $10, because I don't think I'll have $100 to just spend on a souvenir. Especially if I'm going to be back in June or July (so I hope).
    Quote Originally Posted by Punzie
    Sorry, the I <3 Punzie t-shirts are out-of-stock right now.
    LOL. Shoot. I guess I'll try back.

Banned Member

Your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm excited for you to come to NY.

Default thanks

Thank you so much BR. I try and have a really good attitude and have a little bit of fun when talking about New York City. Which is why I love this forum ... because you have serious conversations about NYC (skyscrapers/architecture), you have a QA forum, which if you can't tell, is probably my favorite. And I can't get enough of the Anything Goes and Social Club forums.

All around fun!
    Ben

Hmm... I might just have to do that. And pictures with them of course!

That'd be cool to get a picture with Roxy at Chicago.

Default Map

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Ben-

You should go to a book store like Barnes & Noble or Borders and buy yourself a NYC pop-up map. It folds up neatly into pocket size. Always good to have.
    Got it. Went to Barnes & Noble today and picked up a map of Manhattan. Do you think that will be good enough, or should I get one for all boroughs? There was another one, and the cover said: NYC: 5 Borough Map. Should I go back and get that one?

Thanks,
    ben

Banned Member

Since you're staying in Brooklyn, you ought to have a map that covers the area where you are staying. Look at the lower Manhattan portion and see if it shows the Brrooklyn Bridge and any subway stations in Brooklyn. You don't need all of Brooklyn, but your home base for the trip should be on the map for your own orientation.

If you don't have it on there, it isn't a huge issue. Make sure you get a local subway map from the concierge at your hotel.

You local stops for your hotel are:

A,C,F Trains (Jay Street - Borough Hall station)
    2,3,4 Trains (Borough Hall station)
    M,R Trains (Lawrence Street)

I have no doubt you'll get the hang of it very quick. Don't let the subways intimidate you. If you end up in the wrong place, you just get back on and retrace your steps in the other direction.

When are you in town?

I'll be in town March 24, early/late afternoon. It all depends on the flights. I will be very disappointed if something goes wrong with the flights and we get delayed a day. But I'm sure that won't be a problem... *knocks on wood*

I don't think the subway (stations) will be that big of a problem for me. I've been to Europe (Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Munich) and used the subway system in each of those cities. I just googled a subway map of New York and it seems as if there are tons more trains than in those cities, so that could be the only disadvantage. Yes, I will definitely get a map.

I just checked out the map and it has a small portion of Brooklyn. I know that the hotel we're staying in (Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge) is almost right off the bridge (hence the name) so it might even be included on the map, along with a few subway station(s).

Thanks for the advice BR!
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Punzie View Post
    Get that one, too.
    Alrighty. Will do.

Banned Member

Hi Ben-

Check you Private Messages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast