Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 1775 Broadway - by William Welles Bosworth / Shreve & Lamb - Reclad+Renov by Gensler

Brick wrapped in cellophane

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

I just can't believe that they don't plan on altering the original facade. This makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

It was reported a while back that they discovered that the brick was necessary for structural stability of the original facade and therefore could not be removed. The fact that they still chose to go ahead with this half-crocked plan is really unbelievable.

Default No comprendo....

This has to go into the Stupidity Hall of Fame. Can they really be that idiotic? Or is there something I am missing here -does the developer detest brick so much that he'll cover it in such an incompetent-mind numbing way way?

Why?? What is the benefit of covering brick with glass please someone explain this to me... Maybe I am too evolved or maybe not evolved enough to comprehend. Aside of how hideous it looks the apparent absence of common sense in this project is making me a little crazy.....I need to understand.

Your answer is right on this forum. Go over the Hotel Penn thread (another brown brick structure) and read the comments: dull, dreary, oppressive, foreboding, boring, insignificant etc. And only the exceptional deserves landmarking.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

How can the exterior walls be necessary for structural support in a building with this many storeys? That seems inconceivable.

Isn't this POS supposedly empty or will be soon? Hopefully, given the lack of demand for space, this will fail miserably and will bankrupt this filthy pig.

A lost opportunity. Better if they had hired Cristo to shrink-wrap the building. Or better yet, put individual heavy mil plastic sheeting over the windows and proclaim that they "feel our pain" over winter heating bills. Don't they have any publicists? Even Stupidity can make you money. Someone opened the wrong Stupid jar.

I can just imagine working in that building. You open a window to get some air and you reach out a foot or so to yet another window. I can't the feeling of claustrophobia this must induce on those inside.

Perhaps the building can be marketed as having a FORCEFIELD!

The property sure will be advertised as having a forcefield -- a forcefield against pesky preservationistas.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If there were no preservationist efforts now, why would you think that there would be one in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It was reported a while back that they discovered that the brick was necessary for structural stability of the original facade and therefore could not be removed. The fact that they still chose to go ahead with this half-crocked plan is really unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    How can the exterior walls be necessary for structural support in a building with this many storeys? That seems inconceivable.
    It is only holding up the facade, not the whole building.

Permit wise, defacing is easier than demolishing - though just the first step in the process.

Look HERE to see big renderings showing all the brick peeking out from behind the (very reflective looking) new glass ...

3CC is not nearly as well done as what they are putting up down on Union Square West with the re-clad of the old Tiffany building.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    This has to go into the Stupidity Hall of Fame. Can they really be that idiotic? Or is there something I am missing here -does the developer detest brick so much that he'll cover it in such an incompetent-mind numbing way way?

Maybe. There are way too many old brown bricked buildings in the city and I honestly like this cladding a lot better.

Glass (done right) is a lot nicer than brick imo.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast