Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1775 Broadway - by William Welles Bosworth / Shreve & Lamb - Reclad+Renov by Gensler

Especially ^ a classic mass of a NY pre-war building reclad in blue glass.

OMG

I'm screaming even louder than that ^

I admit I have a problem

What a vandalism.
    Shame on Moinan and "Gensler Architects."

Banned Member

The rendering shows trees at the base. Why the hell can't he just clean up the building and plant the damn trees. For that matter, nearly all renderings show trees and we never seem to get the trees.

Sorry, all. I find it annoying.

Just the other day I was pointing out to a visiting friend how the Hyatt next to Grand Central had been covered over in that horrible glass when it was once beautiful masonry. They were shocked.
    This is the same type of vandalism happening again, and in a prominent location.

This is not development, this is lunacy.

Poverty. Stripping this classic NY building and covering it in glass, represents poverty.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Okay folks, time to put up or shut up.

If you feel strongly about this and others in the future that will also be meeting the same fate, then send a letter to Moinan to 1) convince him of his mistake, 2) enlighten him so that future properties might be spared of the same fate.

Maybe if we do it in large enough numbers, we'll get the message through. Remember, we are doing it for future properties, not just this one.

Joseph Moinian
    The Moinian Group
    399 Park Avenue, 22nd Fl.
    New York, NY 10022

I don't suggest anything obscene as that will just result in your letter going into the trash can.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

By the way, even if you have no time for a lengthy letter, just a simple, poignant note will do. Something. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    ..the Hyatt...
    My first thoughts when seeing this -- "oh no, not another Hyatt episode!"

So much for learning from past mistakes.

The problem is that NY is dominated by filthy, greedy developers like Zuckerman, Macklowe, Moinian, etc. who don't care about aesthetics; they just care about their bottom line.

Well guys and gals, I just walked past this tonight and the scaffolding is going up all around the base already. I became so sad, looking up at the handsome colonnade for what may be the last time.

Why isn't it enough for guys like Moinian to be extremely rich and garner respect, instead they prefer to become filthy rich and lose respect.

I have to go back in the daylight to get some photos of the building before it is pillaged and turned into a Houston-looking pile of blue crud.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; December 28th, 2007 at 10:03 PM.

I don't know why you all are so upset. I personally support taking one of New York's most dynamic and iconic locations and doing everything to strip its character in favor of bland corporate greed. I mean, let's be happy for the developer - the guy will make a buck and buy a spankin' new Bentley in the process! Who gives a damn about the city and millions of its inhabitants who are about to lose a big chink of their cultural legacy?

It sure would be cheaper to just clean and repoint the brick, correct? Add in a few dramatic lighting effects and you'd have a winner at a fraction of the reskin.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The problem is that NY is dominated by filthy, greedy developers like Zuckerman, Macklowe, Moinian, etc. who don't care about aesthetics; they just care about their bottom line.
    I think this is New York's main problem when it comes to its modern architecture. The saving grace is the nobility of the green movement, the few that exists.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    A new backdrop in the works for 2 CC ...

NEWSWEEK BUILDING GETS A MAJOR FACELIFT, NEW TENANTS

>>>>>

A new address - 3 Columbus Circle - has been approved by city officials ...
    Copyright 2007 NYP Holdings, Inc
    The source of all of this city's deterrioating historical/cultural architecture fabric. Oblivious city officials that do not take notice of such vagaries of aggressive/abusive development.

Default Political Heavyweights

Can we get a letter sent to the LPC?

The unfortunate thing is that there's no real "neighborhood" right around Columbus Circle -- the tenants of the Time-Warner Center and residents of the Trump building, unfortunately, aren't very civic-minded. (This is one of those very rare moments when I'm left wishing for NIMBYism.)

In the absence of the kind of community that will block any project, good or evil, progress or devolution, can we try to enlist some big names or political heavyweights? The kind of people who do their darnedest to destroy progress in dilapidated areas (Al Sharpton, Calvin Butts, etc.) are probably content to see beautiful, historic buildings that set the city's tone be swept away.

But what about people like most of this forum's members -- capitalists who have an eye for aesthetics? Bloomberg or even Spitzer certainly have an interest in seeing that New York, while developing, retains its history, charisma and beauty... Is there any way to engage them, or others? I'm always wary of government-backed aesthetics initiatives, but Moinian is a real turdburglar and in this case MUST be stopped.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast