Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1775 Broadway - by William Welles Bosworth / Shreve & Lamb - Reclad+Renov by Gensler

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Finally, somebody around here who is willing to lift a finger besides just offering the usual talk and ranting.

Okay, the building is not protected nor in a historic district, so the LPC route is probably too late.

Besides, there's not much they can do now and also because we know, they take a century and a half to just determine whether something deserves landmark designation or not.

I like your idea of enlisting "heavy weights." Write a passionate and heartfelt letter to the following people and organizations:

1) Community Board 5
    2) The Historic Districts Council
    3) The Municipal Arts Society of New York
    4) Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer
    5) Mayor Bloomberg

...and last but not least, appeal to Mr. Moinian himself. He has the power at this point. If he can't or won't completely abandon the recladding idea, at least get him to leave that stone base alone.

This sounds daunting but it really isn't. Just write ONE letter and send it out to everyone from 1-5. You can use the same letter also to Moinian except for maybe a few wording changes.

By the way, if you need the contact info for any of the above, just let me know and I'll post them here.

I went to Emporis and found out that 1775 Broadway's actual name was "Columbus Tower". Will it retain that name after its transformation into a glass structure or shall it be given a new name (the Columbus Building)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that there's no real "neighborhood" right around Columbus Circle -- the tenants of the Time-Warner Center and residents of the Trump building, unfortunately, aren't very civic-minded. (This is one of those very rare moments when I'm left wishing for NIMBYism.)
    NIMBYs wouldn't do anything anyway; nobody's proposing to make the building taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

... 1775 Broadway's actual name was "Columbus Tower".

... shall it be given a new name ... ?
    Earlier in this thread ... City officials have OK'd a name change:

3 Columbus Circle

Since the permits have been filed already, I think it's hopeless to try and block it. It seems like the new curtain wall is being applied over the existing masonry walls. So the re-clad isn't really improving anything for the tenants other than making it look cosmetically new. No floor to ceiling views here...they could've just put in more efficient windows.

Unfortunately some soulless law firm will snap up these spaces just because of this superficial newness. There are thousands of glass boxes today and millions more to come, but I doubt we will ever build pre-war buildings like this again. Perhaps one day a sensible developer will restore it to its original beauty when too few of these types remain.

Here is a 1999 Columbia Architecture School Document (pdf).

It's an depth study of Midtown South buildings (lots within the Garment District) worthy of Historic Preservation ...

Columbia University
    Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation

Historic Preservation Studio 1999

The purpose of this Preservation Plan is to
    recognize the various identities of Midtown
    South, document the significance of the
    area's historic resources to the life of
    Midtown South and New York City, identify
    potential threats to the survival of these
    resources, and present recommendations for
    protecting the neighborhood’s most valuable
    architecture and special sense of place and
    encouraging sensitivity in future
    interventions

Random Personality

^^ Wait so the brick will still be there under the glass? They are just putting the glass over the walls now?

^ Yes. Look closely at the rendering and you can see the outlines of the existing facade behind the glass.

It may seem an utterly stupid move, but look on the bright side: like Derek alluded to, the brick will still be there 40 years from now when it's due for another makeover (cross your fingers).

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes the brick will still be there and I'm guessing the glass skin will make everything more watertight.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

seems bizarre - kind of like a glass condom.

I dont think the brick will be retained. I think they will follow the same route as with the hippodrome, install the glass over the brick and then once entirely enclosed remove the old brick fascade.

But the recently removed facade at the Hippodrome was mostly a glass / metal curtain wall.

Compared to the large expanses of brick which exist at 1775 the Hippodrome had very little brick that needed to be removed.

Stern, take another look at the rendering:

You can definitely make out the old window openings, implying that the existing brick will still be there after the "glass condom" wraps things up.

You're right. It'll still be like the hippodrome though, the entire building will be encased with the new fascade, and then the original window units will be removed.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i'll leave it to the pros, but it's hard for this amateur to understand how installing this new skin is more financially viable than just power cleaning, patching and sealing the current facade.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast