Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: AQUA - Chicago - by Studio Gang Architects

Architecture with a capital A!

This one loses everything at a distance, becomes just a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    This one loses everything at a distance, becomes just a box.
    I disagree.

Look at the windows. Architecture is more than just about the buildings overall shape, but it's also about how the facade is treated. Where the waves in the floorplate don't extend out, the glass is more reflective for solar heat gain purposes.

Saw this last week. Very impressive in person. The entire park area near Aon and Aqua is fantastic. Not just Millennium Park, but the park in the middle of the bundle of skyscrapers as well. What's that called, again? I sat there for a while and just enjoyed the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
    I disagree.

Look at the windows. Architecture is more than just about the buildings overall shape, but it's also about how the facade is treated. Where the waves in the floorplate don't extend out, the glass is more reflective for solar heat gain purposes.
    Looking again you can see a texture of the balconies from the distance. Still from a distance, its a box.

Not sure about the mechanical floor... It rather jarringly reminds that this is a habitable building rather than a purely sculptural form. It accentuates the palpable tension between the ethereal naturalistic wavy rhythm and the pure crisp glass box. It makes one question just which form is being idealized here anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
    05/21/09

I love this building.

I can't decide whether I like it or if I think its a box wrapped in a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    I can't decide whether I like it or if I think its a box wrapped in a gimmick.
    Well, from up close it's really neat because you get the effect shown in the latest picture. Plus, I must admit that I never even considered how the interior lighting would play against the wavy balconies.

However, from far away it does just look like a box. There's no getting around it. It's best appreciated from street level, from anywhere else it appears somewhat unremarkable.

The vast majority of people will be experiencing the building from street level.

Separated at birth?

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy999 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The vast majority of people will be experiencing the building from street level.
    I believe he meant street level--directly under the building. I was just in Chicago and I have to say this building is a stunner from 200 yards on in. Beyond that the waves are lost and it loooks a little messy--also, the mechanical floor ruins what little effect there is. However, the base is better than I thought it would be. Neat building, but I think as far wavy facaded buildings go, Beekman promises to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by lbjefferies View Post
    I believe he meant street level--directly under the building. I was just in Chicago and I have to say this building is a stunner from 200 yards on in. Beyond that the waves are lost and it loooks a little messy--also, the mechanical floor ruins what little effect there is. However, the base is better than I thought it would be. Neat building, but I think as far wavy facaded buildings go, Beekman promises to be much better.
    Indeed. My thoughts exactly.

^
    ^
    ^
    You just HAD to ruin it for me, didn't you?

(LOL)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast