Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: UK Living Standards Outstrip US

Default benl, that rule on non-EU doctors is dumb

Just look at the US. When you limit the available talent, you get overpricing. We spend 3 times what you do on medicine and our economy is taking. I say let them come.

What the NHS doesn't do right is they don't screen out terrorist states. Britain generally needs to make sure that the doctors coming are here to work and will be patriotic, loyal, and appreciative of Britain. But I think that's doable - you make them apply for a limited number of slots and then have psychological tests, background checks, interviews, etc - the logical things for someone who wants to live the rest of their life in the EU.

Brilliant infoshare! I love Bird & Fortune, they're really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn_Birdseye View Post
    You're right alonzo!
    Can you stay on point for 1 second? That article has nothing to do with what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Can you stay on point for 1 second? That article has nothing to do with what I said.
    You said "someone is going to lose out" and I simply pointed out that you're right, quoting the many thousands of people who having their homes repossessed, and this trend is increasing dramatically!

and I might add:

Personal Bankruptcy Rates Soar

KPMG's analysis of the DTI's official insolvency figures released last week shows that the first quarter of 2006 saw the highest number of personal insolvencies ever seen in the UK.

The figures reveal that 23,939 people went into bankruptcy or agreed an Individual Voluntary Arrangement - IVA -in the quarter January to March 2006.

This is an increase of 81% compared to the same quarter last year. IVAs are the increasingly common alternative to bankruptcy and, in the same period, have more than doubled - rising by an astonishing 155% and bankruptcies climbed by 60%.

These figures represent the fastest growing rate of personal insolvency since 1991.

Mark Sands, Director of Personal Insolvency at KPMG in the South East, said:
    "Earlier this year we saw a dramatic increase in the number of people calling help lines and asking the Citizens Advice Bureau and other organisations for guidance.

Earlier this week the Bank of England revealed that consumer credit grew at its highest rate in nearly two years during September, and the Council of Mortgage Lenders predicted that home repossessions will jump 50pc in 2008.

You said "someone is going to lose out" and I simply pointed out that you're right, quoting the many thousands of people who having their homes repossessed, and this trend is increasing dramatically!
    I said someone in regards to the doctor situation. You used it as an invitation to post something unrelated.

Alonzo, how long have you been away from the UK? You seem to think its a land of thatched cottages with roses over the front door, warm beer in lovely country inns, green fields filled with grazing cows - in fact a pastoral scene out of Sidney's Arcadia (1590)!

Get real and recognise the fact that over the past 10 years the country has gone down the tubes!

It is you who paints a picture of a Britain utterly alien to me. I have lived in this country all my life and through my experience, it bears no comparison to the hell-hole you rather obsessively try to create.

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    It is you who paints a picture of a Britain utterly alien to me. I have lived in this country all my life and through my experience, it bears no comparison to the hell-hole you rather obsessively try to create.
    Perfectly said.

Alonzo, how long have you been away from the UK? You seem to think its a land of thatched cottages with roses over the front door, warm beer in lovely country inns, green fields filled with grazing cows - in fact a pastoral scene out of Sidney's Arcadia (1590)!

Get real and recognise the fact that over the past 10 years the country has gone down the tubes!
    I have never said anything to that effect. This is another meaningless stupid post from you that is irrelevant to all previous discussion.

I am not making Britain out to be a hell hole, its got a lot going for as a country, hence its an attractive destination for immigrants.
    If I thought for one moment it was a hell hole why would I want to continue living in one of the finest capital cities in the world?
    Britain is a great place to live but its fair to say it has its fair share of problems like most advanced countries. Its a question of keeping a balanced view as to the good points of living here and some of the not-so-good points, but the same applies to the US as it does to other European countries.

I'm off to the Cotswolds next weekend, now you couldn't get a lovelier spot in England could you?

Literacy?

Literacy in England is woeful.

I am not talking about accents, or silk tonguedness, Im talking about ordinary people not being able to communicate.

Take a look at this documentary on it.

I read a statistic that 1/5 do not have functional literacy there in England.

Default London - Worse than Berlin in 1939?

London is going crazy. You can have the great museums, the proximity to Europe (IMHO the best thing about London is the "CHOIP FLOIGHTS" to Europe), and the Queen, but seriously can someone please explain in simple English what this is about?

Seriously what is this? This is off the hook - Warning - disturbing video probably best not for children from the Guardian Website.

I found a link to the full Panorama documentary entitled "What ever happened to people power?"

Its linked here

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314