Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfalls coming to the East River

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default Waterfalls coming to the East River

New York's East River to Host Artist Eliasson's `Waterfalls'

A rendering of "The New York City Waterfalls," created by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson
    cascades near the Brooklyn Bridge in this image released to the media on Tuesday,
    Jan. 15, 2008. Source: Public Art Fund via Bloomberg News

By Henry Goldman

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- A temporary public art installation of four mechanical fountains depicting waterfalls will dominate New York's East River off Lower Manhattan beginning in July, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

``The New York City Waterfalls,'' created by artist Olafur Eliasson, will cascade from heights of 90 to 120 feet (27 to 37 meters), illuminated at night and visible from Manhattan's South Street Seaport. The installation will be visible from the Staten Island and Governors Island ferries, which run for free, the mayor said.

The display, running from mid-July to mid-October, will be the second large public art project undertaken by the Bloomberg administration. In 2005, ``The Gates,'' 7,500 saffron-colored banners arranged by artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude in Central Park, drew millions. The mayor predicted the waterfalls would produce $55 million in economic benefit.

``The waterfalls project will bring a sense of awe back to the harbor and encourage all of us to see a familiar part of our city in a completely new way,'' Bloomberg said.

Eliasson, 40, is best known for ``The Weather Project,'' his 2003 installation of a giant sun made of 200 yellow lamps, mirrors and mist that drew more than 2 million people to the London Tate Modern.

The $15 million cost of the waterfalls was privately donated, said Susan Freedman, president of the Public Art Fund, which led the several-year effort to create the project.

Constructed on Scaffolding

Constructed on scaffolding intended to mimic the look of buildings under construction, its design will be environmentally protective of fish that inhabit the river, and its pumps will be powered from the water current, Eliasson said.

``They are as real as any waterfalls; it is real water falling,'' Eliasson said of the project. ``The scaffolding supports are clearly visible and may be recognized as the same kind that has been used to build New York over the past century.''

The mayor is founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP. The company is one of several private sponsors of the project.

A rendering of "The New York City Waterfalls," created by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson
    cascades in the East River in this image released to the media on Jan. 15, 2008.
    Source: Public Art Fund via Bloomberg News

The waterfalls look spectacular in the picture. Looking forward to take a trip around it in my canoe.

Looks great, I have to see them first, but maybe these could become a permanent fixture.

Happy it's coming here, should be pretty cool, though from that angle it looks like the Brooklyn Bridge has sprung a horrible leak.

Stern, I had thought of the same thing too, if this is successful, then maybe they can make it permanent.

Anyhow, I wonder where that water is coming from.

Default Cool!

I think this is way more interesting than The Gates. There's a video of the artist talking about it at http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...&rc=1194&ndi=1. Also some interesting links at http://www.newyorkcitywaterfalls.com. How on earth are they going to build these things?

Thumbs up

I'm so excited for this. These waterfalls are going to be something the likes of which we have never seen. Edward so lucky you have a conoe I wish. I'll have to take a walk along the East River to take a glance. If anyone would be interested in meeting to go out and meetin in July I would be more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Stern, I had thought of the same thing too, if this is successful, then maybe they can make it permanent.

Anyhow, I wonder where that water is coming from.
    I think they will pump the water from the East River up through pipes and then the water will come out of the pipes to depict waterfalls and fall back to the East River so it will be continuous cycle.

... a major new work of temporary public art by internationally acclaimed artist Olafur Eliasson, The New York City Waterfalls, will be on display in New York City from mid-July to mid-October 2008 ...

“In developing The New York City Waterfalls, I have tried to work with today’s complex notion of public spaces,” said Eliasson. “The Waterfalls appear in the midst of the dense social, environmental, and political tissue that makes up the heart of New York City. They will give people the possibility to reconsider their relationships to the spectacular surroundings, and I hope to evoke experiences that are both individual and enhance a sense of collectivity.”

Olafur Eliasson,
    Yet Untitled, 1998/2000.
    View of backwards waterfall as
    installed at the Wanås Foundation.

Born in Copenhagen in 1967, Eliasson is considered one of his generation’s most influential artists. Throughout his career, he has taken inspiration from natural elements and phenomena, such as light, wind, fog, and water, to create sculptures and installations that evoke sensory experiences. He is perhaps best known for The weather project (2003) at Tate Modern in London, a giant sun made of 200 yellow lamps, mirrors and mist that transformed the museum’s massive Turbine Hall and drew over 2 million visitors during its five-month installation (youtube VID).

Olafur Eliasson - The weather project 2003

http://www.eikongraphia.com/?p=1311

“One of Eliasson’s great strengths as an artist is his ability to captivate viewers, which he will do by integrating the spectacular beauty of nature into the urban landscape on a dramatic scale,” said Steiner, curator of The New York City Waterfalls.

Eliasson’s work often involves industrial materials that, when brought together, create dramatic installations that are as beautiful as they are unexpected. The New York City Waterfalls will be constructed using building elements that are ubiquitous throughout New York: scaffolding is the backbone of the structures, and pumps will bring water from the East River to the top; the water then falls from heights of 90 to 120 feet back into the river. Fish and aquatic life are protected by filtering the water through intake pools suspended in the river. To build the Waterfalls, Public Art Fund has partnered with Tishman Construction Corporation and has engaged a team of design, engineering and construction professionals.

The New York City Waterfalls will be visible by land and boat, and because of their proximity to one another, viewers will be able to see multiple waterfalls from various vantage points in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Governors Island. Dedicated boat journeys to view the Waterfalls, organized by the Public Art Fund in partnership with Circle Line Downtown, will leave from Pier 16 in Manhattan and will provide up-close views of the installations. The Circle Line will provide free and discounted trips daily for the public. The free Governors Island Ferry, which will run every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the length of the project, and the Staten Island Ferry will also provide views of the waterfalls at Governors Island and between Piers 4 and 5 in Brooklyn.

Waterfall 1998

Palacio de Cristal, Parque del Retiro, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, 2003

Waterfall 1998

Neue Galerie am Landesmuseum Joanneum, Graz, Austria, 2000

Eliasson's 'Waterfall' Is This Art? Discuss

flickr
    Uploaded on June 8, 2005
    by idg

This is a temporary installation of a major public artwork by renowned Danish artist Olafur Eliasson.

Eliasson returns to Dundee, site of his first ever exhibition in the UK in 1999, with an impressive sculptural waterfall. On view for the duration of the exhibition 'Our Surroundings' (14 May - 17 July), Eliasson's 'Waterfall' is characteristic of his fusion of nature and technology, and his on-going investigation of how we think about and respond to our environment. It is presented in collaboration with the University of Dundee.

Olafur Eliasson (Contemporary Artists) (Paperback)by Madeleine Grynsztejn (Author)

amazon.com

It sounds like NY will get something like this.

This doesn't look to impressive.

Gotta give Mayor Bloomberg major points for his on-ging support of public art.

He seems to have particular affinity for sculpture.

It might be found that a huge chunk of the funding for the waterfalls project comes directly from Mike's pockets ...

The $15 million cost of the waterfalls was privately donated, said Susan Freedman, president of the Public Art Fund, which led the several-year effort to create the project.

... The mayor is founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP. The company is one of several private sponsors of the project.

Back in the fall of 2006 a much smaller water sculpture -- AWASH; Matthew Geller -- was on public exhibit downtown. that was set up in the now derelict Collect Pond Park (down amidst the court buildings at Leonard / Centre / Lafayette).

Awash, a sculptural installation by Matthew Geller, invites the public to sit and swing beneath a cooling stream of water. Geller’s steel-and- Plexiglas structure provides shelter from its own inclement weather. A water tank sprays water onto a skylight incongruously mounted on a "sidewalk bridge," much like the ones that protect pedestrians at construction sites. Inside the bridge hang several seats recalling both old-fashioned porch swings and traditional park benches, allowing up to eight people to sit and talk while rain splashes romantically on the skylight overhead. The swings and spraying water hark back to an earlier time, when Collect Pond Park was known a fishing and recreation lake. After suffering the effects of too-dense urbanization, the Collect was drained by the City and became the home of the notorious "Five Points" district, immortalized in the book and film Gangs of New York.

LMCC blog

Posted by Grant N. Services

Artist Matthew Geller also created the FOGGY DAY installation back in 2003 and which was constructed in Cortland Alley (in Tribeca, just east of Broadway between White / Walker) and created the effect of fog and mist emanating from the brick walls of the buildings lining Cortland Alley ...

Wouldn't it be a shame to spend all that money to build this only to tear it all down in a few months?

Why couldn't they just keep it there and turn it on again every year? It will eventually become another one of the city's iconic landmarks.

Eliasson's 'Waterfall' Is This Art? Discuss

flickr
    Uploaded on June 8, 2005
    by idg

This is a temporary installation of a major public artwork by renowned Danish artist Olafur Eliasson.

Oh! i remember walking past this at college! I just thought it was something the art department put together, don't know what that says about the art.

Also the image name is Magdalen Green which this instalation is nowhere near.

I love it. I think, from the renderings in the first post, that it will look great. To bad they won't be up when I go for Spring Break in March. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go again to see them in July when they go up.

Thanks for the info!
    Ben

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast