Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idlewild Airport (JFK)

Funny, but related. My father forwarded me an email that had been passed around numerous time over the past few months from airline retirees leading to where?

This thread.

Who would have thought my father, (not the most internet saavy person on earth) would direct me back to a forum I read multiple times daily?

Who did your dad work for?

Eastern right up until she went belly up. Then Continental up until this year.

I only have 21 more years to go at Continental. Started there just after Eastern went belly up.

So, brianac, who are the folks in picture no. 1?

Quote Originally Posted by 195Broadway View Post
    I only have 21 more years to go at Continental. Started there just after Eastern went belly up.
    You may know my dad then. He just retired last month from Continental.

If he worked at either Newark or IAH airports, there is a chance I know him.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    So, brianac, who are the folks in picture no. 1?
    End of Quiz: (Some) Answers Revealed

Clockwise from top left: can you name these passengers?

Final Update, Aug. 20 | After several weeks of research, City Room has concluded that the upper left of the four photographs, at right, depicts Marc Chagall and his second wife, Valentina Brodsky, known as Vava. Our research-intensive journey involved our readers, historians, archivists, writers and curators in the United States and France — and even the former Rolling Stones bass guitarist (and accomplished photographer) Bill Wyman. Therefore, the winner of the Pop Quiz — and the recipient of our belated congratulations — is Joe, who correctly named the people in all photographs at 11:46 a.m. on July 30, the day of the Pop Quiz.

Update and correction, July 31 | After this Pop Quiz ended, a sharp-eyed staff editor questioned whether the people in the undated, upper-left photograph were, in fact, David Ben-Gurion and wife Paula, as they were identified in original source material (and as several readers, including the original named winner below, had guessed). Further research and reporting determined that while there is some resemblance, the two people are not the Ben-Gurions. Their identities could not be immediately determined (some readers are helping us play sleuth here).

City Room asked the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs Kennedy International Airport and supplied the photographs, for the source of the photo attribution. Jen Friedberg, a spokeswoman, explained that most of the authority’s archives were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001.

She said that although no definitive caption information was available, officials had hoped readers could provide a conclusive identification. The officials believed the image was of the Ben-Gurions, based in part on a comparison of the image with publicly available images of the couple.

A similar review by editors at The Times raised doubts, so City Room contacted Howard M. Sachar, a historian at George Washington University and the author of many books, including “A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time,” first published in 1973 and reissued, in a third revised edition, in 2007.

Professor Sachar said he had met and spoken numerous times with Ben-Gurion, who was Israel’s first prime minister, from 1955 to 1963, and died in 1973. He said that the undated picture definitely did not show David or Paula Ben-Gurion.

The occasion of the quiz was the 60th anniversary of Kennedy Airport, where nearly 48 million passengers flew in and out of J.F.K. last year, the country’s premier international gateway. A slide show chronicles the history of the inception, construction and opening of the airport. We invited readers to guess the identities of the jet-setters pictured in the four photographs above.

The originally named winner was Sharon, who guessed the Ben-Gurions and the three other images correctly at 1:38 p.m., clockwise from left:
    Jimmy Durante, Sammy Davis Jr. and wife May Britt, and Kim Novak.

Alas, Sharon was not the first to guess three of the four correctly. Perley J. Thibodeau, Joe and Chery were among those who had it first.

But that first picture seemed to have stumped almost everyone. The guesses were varied and ranged from the painter Marc Chagall and a companion, Norman Mailer and Adele Morales, Charlie and Oona Chaplin, Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir to Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

Far off the mark, however, was Indira Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru.

Thank you to all readers who participated.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...Airport&st=cse

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Default Old Airport Pix

It appears that this group enjoys old airport pictures. Members of my family have worked at idlewild since the 40's. I personally have been there since 1966. See if you like these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0019 (2).jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	6500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terminal 1.jpg 
Views:	895 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	6501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0023.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	6502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0011 (2).jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	6503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0065.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	6504  

Great pictures. Thanks for adding these.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    What were those buildings? They immediately call to mind religious structures of the same vintage. And there was quite an extensive network of planned spaces going on back then, between the pool(s) you see here and the plaza connecting the old terminal four to the physical plant. Sad to see it all obliterated for more utilitarian purposes like parking lots, parking garages, highways, access ramps, toll booths...

Default People on the flight

I think the first photo is of Charlie Chaplin.........

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
    What were those buildings? They immediately call to mind religious structures of the same vintage. And there was quite an extensive network of planned spaces going on back then, between the pool(s) you see here and the plaza connecting the old terminal four to the physical plant. Sad to see it all obliterated for more utilitarian purposes like parking lots, parking garages, highways, access ramps, toll booths...
    Those were the tri-faith chapels, which were demolished in 1988-89. Newer chapels were later built inside one of the terminals (and a 4th for Muslims was added).

The red squares below show approximately where the 3 chapels sat on the JFK site. I agree, it's a shame they had to be demolished.

THIS is a NYT article from 1987 about those 3 chapels.

Here is a pic of the current chapels located in terminal 4
    Last edited by Radiohead; November 22nd, 2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add image

Thanks for the informative post! As ablarc world say, it's too bad those chapels couldn't have made it past the 40 year slump, for if they had they surely would've been landmarked as a classic modernist ensemble.

But I believe your location is off.. check out this picture:

^ The reflecting pool acts as a branch off that big plaza, which is on axis between the old terminal four and the physical plant building which is still standing. Also, the area where you put the chapels -- that circular tree grove -- can be seen in the above image at the far right. So I'd say the placement of the chapels is a bit further south than what you had, Radiohead:

You're right kz. Good diagrams.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast