Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idlewild Airport (JFK)

Thumbs up

I was born in the Idlewilde sections of Queens 1931, aka So. Jamaica.

There was a strip with dirt runways there. I had an aunt and uncle with the grass of a cow and a few apple trees. I would pedal over there and watch the biplanes etc. come and go.

God be with the days!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up That sounds like a lot of fun!

We had a small regional airport not too far from our house. We used to take acid at night sometimes and go just beyond the fence/property line and lay on the ground at the foot of a runway. Whooooooooosh!

NAS Floyd Bennett wasn't too far away either. They had Navy flying boats.

La Guardia had Pan American World Clippers. I remember Mayor Fiorello La Guardia. i.e. "The Little Flower" reading the comics to the kids from the Sunday Papers.

The German Dirigibles used to overfly our place every now and then on their way to NAS Lakehurst NJ. A very distinct sound from them and their many diesel engines.

I know The Hindenberg was one of them, and perhaps there were others.

Awesome pics!!

Default Some more jfk pix

I worked at JFK for over 43 years. Here are some of my personal photoes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA SST JFK.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	7407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0090.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	7408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0047.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	7409  

More impressive to me is the cars in the parking lot in these photos, but I'm a huge car guy. I'm too young to ever have driven any of them, but I love the classic look, especially that of classic American muscle.

When a car was still a car.

KZ1000ps hits that nail on the head with the location of the Chapels. I grew up just outside of JFK. Born in 1960, I watched many changes over the years at the airport. My father worked for American Airlines. As a kid we would ride our bikes into the airport and check out the planes. We even talked some guy into giving us a walk through of a Pan Am 707 that was in the hanger in the late 60's. In those days it was no big deal for a kid to disappear on his bike for a few hours. I watched the first 747s delivered to Pan Am in 1969. I saw the Concorde take off countless times, afterburners blazing. As a teen we would park the car on the rooftop parking at the Pan Am terminal which had a great view of the aircraft departing off runway 31L. I could look out the front window of my house and see the giant hangers built by Pan Am to house 4-747s. I remember walking with my mom down to the Van Wyck expressway to watch Pope John Paul's motorcade in 1965. I was married in May of 1984 in the chapel on the right of the photo. It was called "Our Lady of the Skies". It was a beautiful structure with long tall stained glass panel windows lining the sides, visible in the pic. These windows would allow the sunlight to drench the inside of the chapel making it bright and feel airy and open. Behind the alter was a giant statue of the Virgin Mary standing atop an enormous propeller. The Chapel in the middle was a Protestant Chapel and at the far left of the pic was a Synagogue with it's two giant Ten Commandment tablets comprising the back wall. (The pic was actually taken from the rear of the buildings). I worked on the ramp for Servair and was there when the Air Traffic controllers went on strike in August of 1981. I worked for Capitol airlines before they went belly up in 1984. I eventually became an airframe and powerplant mechanic and a Learjet captain. Flying on demand charters out of Farmingdale’s Republic airport on Long Island, and White Plains’ Westchester County airport. I was hired as an Air Traffic controller in 1988 and continue to this day. I owe all of this to growing up literally across the street from one of the greatest airports in the world! The memories from seeing these pictures keep flooding in and the nostalgia I feel is indescribable. A time of innocents not just for me but for this country. A simpler time. Thanks to all who contributed!!
    Last edited by jjsz422; September 17th, 2010 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsz422 View Post
    KZ1000ps hits that nail on the head with the location of the Chapels.

I grew up just outside of JFK. Born in 1960, I watched many changes over the years at the airport. My father worked for American Airlines. As a kid we would ride our bikes into the airport and check out the planes. We even talked some guy into giving us a walk through of a Pan Am 707 that was in the hanger in the late 60's.

In those days it was no big deal for a kid to disappear on his bike for a few hours. I watched the first 747s delivered to Pan Am in 1969. I saw the Concorde take off countless times, afterburners blazing. As a teen we would park the car on the rooftop parking at the Pan Am terminal which had a great view of the aircraft departing off runway 31L. I could look out the front window of my house and see the giant hangers built by Pan Am to house 4-747s.

I remember walking with my mom down to the Van Wyck expressway to watch Pope John Paul's motorcade in 1965. I was married in May of 1984 in the chapel on the right of the photo. It was called "Our Lady of the Skies". It was a beautiful structure with long tall stained glass panel windows lining the sides, visible in the pic. These windows would allow the sunlight to drench the inside of the chapel making it bright and feel airy and open. Behind the alter was a giant statue of the Virgin Mary standing atop an enormous propeller.

The Chapel in the middle was a Protestant Chapel and at the far left of the pic was a Synagogue with it's two giant Ten Commandment tablets comprising the back wall. (The pic was actually taken from the rear of the buildings). I worked on the ramp for Servair and was there when the Air Traffic controllers went on strike in August of 1981. I worked for Capitol airlines before they went belly up in 1984. I eventually became an airframe and powerplant mechanic and a Learjet captain. Flying on demand charters out of Farmingdale’s Republic airport on Long Island, and White Plains’ Westchester County airport.

I was hired as an Air Traffic controller in 1988 and continue to this day. I owe all of this to growing up literally across the street from one of the greatest airports in the world! The memories from seeing these pictures keep flooding in and the nostalgia I feel is indescribable. A time of innocents not just for me but for this country. A simpler time. Thanks to all who contributed!!
    jjsz, I broke your post up into paragraphs, which makes it easier to read. Hope you don't mind.

I remember much of what you describe. I worked for Pan Am during these years.

From Jetphotos.net, here are some images of planes at Idlewild/JFK, mostly from the '60's.

The following are some images that appeared in Life and Colliers magazines

Idlewild baggage area 1952

American Airlines terminal lobby early 60''s

Pan-Am terminal exterior early 60's

Even the utilities building was given a modern exterior

FNC Bank at the airport entrance 1960

After an emergency landing of a Pan Am jet 1954 (apparently the front landing gear became twisted prior to landing)

Did anyone know about this mid'1940's, $3 billion proposal to put an airport right on the Hudson? The idea was done in by either resident disapproval, cost, or both (kind of like the Jets' mid-town stadium). Read more about it here.

ENLARGE

Last edited by Radiohead; September 17th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

ABLARC...No worries!!
    Radiohead..The pic labeled "American Airlines terminal lobby early 60''s" under images that appeared in Life and Colliers magazines, is actually the lobby of the International Arrivals Building or IAB. The mobile hanging there I believe was designed by Calder.

^ I must have gotten my labels mixed up. I blame the Pinot Noir

Default Some more old pics

Started there in 1966 and still there. Here are some more pics from my collection.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0042.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	13783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0007 (2).jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0013 (2).jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	13781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0041.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	13782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0043.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	13784

That is definately the Alexander Calder mobile in Term 4 IAB. My crew used to take it down every Christmas and put up a huge Bell. Then we would paint it and rehang it. During the 25th aniversary of the IAB, we hung a model of the Kitty Hawk on that hook.

where can I get photos of idlewild terminal in N.Y. between 1955 and 1959?,
    the barracks type of terminal I used in my teen years...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast