Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapped!

Still, it's a building that has style and tone. It's not just huge sheets of glass like everything else going up nowadays. I'm sad that it never went up.

KPF designed a series of striking post-modern towers during the 80's that unfortunately were never built. I know its off topic slightly but I thought it was worth showing these 2 skyscrapers that were both proposed by the practise for Houston. The one on the left was KPF's entry into The Bank of the Southwest competion that came runner up to Helmut Jahns winning but unbuilt design. The other tower is unamed but intended for a site on the fringes of Houstons CBD. Its a pity none of them, including Travelstead, were ever built IMO.

Wow--great stuff!! What buidlings did they design that DID go up?

Check out Chicago's 311 South Wacker Drive--this building has what appears to be much of the facade detail of the Travelstead. Also 135 East 57th, the Heron Tower and Shearson Lehman Plaza.

Travelstead tower is a building i have always been disappointed it was never built as there is nothing else like it in the world and its a building new york could really need. Any chance the design could be used at another site in the future, as an architecture student myself i one hope to design great buildings like this in new york.

I recently read in a book detail the 20s boom a 138 storey tower was proposed if anyone else has ever heard of it.

Default TWO BLACK AND WHITE

Forum Veteran

Nice. The black-and-white gives the photos a noir atmosphere.

Some unbuilt Pei Cobb and Freed designs:

Helix:

Design completed 1949

area: 179,762 s/f

height: 22 stories

floor plate: 8,171 s/f

use: residential tower

Finance Place/New York Stock Exchange:

Design completed 1962

site area: 2 city blocks

height: 671 ft., 45 stories

floor plate: 95,00024,300 s/f

trading hall: 68,580 s/f, 80 ft. tall

use: investment building for stock exchange

Proposal For a New Williamsburg Bridge

Preliminary design completed 1988

This proposal calls for the erection of a cable-stayed bridge just 48 feet to the south side of the existing bridge. Construction, executed over 32 months, would be accomplished without interruption of navigation, vehicular traffic or mass transit. Upon completion of the bridge, sections of the approach viaducts would be laterally launched literally slipped into place and attached to existing touchdown points in Manhattan and Brooklyn, requiring a one-time traffic shutdown of only 80 hours.

The bridge has a central span of 1,600 feet and side spans of 661 feet. The main bridge deck and viaducts consist of 10-foot reinforced concrete slabs that rest on transverse beams spaced 22 feet apart, and provide a system for deck replacement without auxiliary support. The width of the deck is kept to a minimum (105 feet) by locating transit below the roadway. This strategy permits simpler structural solutions and a more advantageous placement of supports, while providing the bridge with a slender appearance and avoiding unnecessary impingements on the land at either end. The tracks are rerouted in Brooklyn to skirt the south side of Washington Plaza, instead of bisecting it as they do today, in order to enhance the urban potential of the area.

Two Delta-Frame bridge towers rise 585 feet above the river. Each encloses the top cable anchors of the bridge in humidity-controlled chambers for protection against corrosion. Other innovative systems facilitate the inspection and renewal of bottom anchors and the replacement of cables without temporary strengthening. The legs of each tower, twisted 90 degrees, yield necessary longitudinal stiffness at the base of the bridge and the required transverse stiffness at the top, all within the context of an elegant architectural solution.

Motorists and subway passengers enjoy skyline views through open construction while pedestrians and bicyclists, removed from traffic on an upper timber deck, enjoy spectacular views in every direction. Scenic remnants of the granite abutments of the old bridge are incorporated as belvederes into pedestrian systems on either side of the river, and are supplemented in Manhattan by a new foot ramp to the East River esplanade. A new vehicular link to the FDR Drive is also proposed to alleviate congestion. Improvements to the Brooklyn embankment include a new bus facility and green market on land gained from the realigned tracks.

The Hyperboloid is a sensational design although it was not released until years after the fate of Grand Central was decided, it was saved, and the Met Life Building was already built.

Hyperboloid:

Design completed 1956

site area: 5.63 acres

area: 3.8 million s/f

height: 1,497 ft. 108 stories

floor plate: 18,14593,481 s/f

use: investment office tower

Why is it that no developers ever consider to use some of these stunning never built designs? Some of them are certainly in the public domain or could be grabbed for some small fee, no? And while some never built designs are totally impractical, the Travelstead building was quite close to being built.

Angry

Travelstead project was really sensational, it's a shame that the project has died.

Here's a skyline shot of what 1 New York Place may have looked like:

http://homepage.mac.com/rigrij/.Pict.../90storey3.jpg

Banned Member

I don't think that 1 New York Place was more symbolic of height and bulk, than design. Had that actually been built, I think I'd be hating it based on that photo.

A bunch of renderings for mega-projects can be found on skyscraperpage:

10 Columbus Circle:

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/data/532/4fig__05.jpg

Trump Project (mistaken often for the proposed NYSE Tower):

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/da...ckexchange.jpg

Met Life North (1928)

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/da...al_design_.jpg

Trumps Television City Tower:
    http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/da...visioncity.jpg

Banned Member

I love Metlife North. That's one I'd love to see restarted.

Television City would have been a much better project than what we got with Riverside South.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast