Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapped!

Default New York Skyline - if only

this thread is to discuss what could have been if all the massive towers proposed had been built,

eg buildings like the larkin building and the many towers stunted by the depression

i was also told the ge building was originally to be taller than the empire state
    Last edited by Alonzo-ny; July 21st, 2005 at 06:52 PM.

Talking about visionary buildings - what do you say about the Cintas tower? It is a visionary building that should be 2,231 ft tall with 180 floors :shock: I wonder if they'll ever built it in NY

Look here for more information.
    http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=103160

Wow :shock: Cool. Thanks for the link tonyo

Banned Member

Default Re: NY skyline

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    this thread is to discuss what could have been if all the massive towers propesed had been built,

eg buildings like the larkin building and the many towers stunted by the depression

i was also told the ge building was originally to be taller than the empire state
    Hi Alonzo-

It's great to have you here and jumping into the discussions, but you can see everyone asccepts the terms of using the forum. It would be great if you would make the effort to capitalize & punctuate your writing where grammatically required. I'm not looking to get flamed here - just hoping we all keep to the high, consistent standards of this forum.

Cheers!

No problem! If anyone can find any pictures or information on any of the buildings stopped by the depression would be much appreciated. Does anyone know why Donald Trumps New York Stock exchange tower (546.8m) was cancelled as it obstructed JFK flight paths but the wtc didnt? And does this mean no tower of that size would ever be constructed in that area?

Too many to name. For me the biggest heart-break is the never-built Travelstead Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    For me the biggest heart-break is the never-built Travelstead Tower.
    Stern,
    Good call, this was the greatest disappointment of the past 25 years. IIRC, the KPF design was voted one of the 10 best skyscrapers of the 20th century by the British equivalent of the AIA. I bought an apartment in the late 1980s based (in small part) on the potential view of this tower on the skyline.

Mayor Koch really dropped the ball on this project. And, most of the transferrable air-rights that would have facilitated the larger FAR still exist.

Good call, this was the greatest disappointment of the past 25 years. IIRC, the KPF design was voted one of the 10 best skyscrapers of the 20th century by the British equivalent of the AIA. I bought an apartment in the late 1980s based (in small part) on the potential view of this tower on the skyline.

Mayor Koch really dropped the ball on this project. And, most of the transferrable air-rights that would have facilitated the larger FAR still exist.
    That’s the real kicker it was the city not the developer that killed the project. If it were not for zoning, for which there are written encyclopedias about, this project would be towering in the heart of midtown, a peak completing the points, Citicorp, Chrysler, and Metlife. While Im not a big fan of postmodernism the design was pure glory, something ultra-modern would completely throw the skyline off, this perfectly complemented it and more importantly would’ve completed it.

Basically I never got into many of these "never-built" proposals because they were interesting concepts hot off the drawing boards. Travelstead Tower on the other-hand was wholly New York.

Banned Member

Can some provide stats and proposed location on Travelstead Tower? Any renderings?

Forum Veteran

383 Madison, where Bear Stearns is now. It had a cross-shaped, tapering floor plan.

Never heard of the Travelstead Tower before reading this thread but I did a google search and managed to find this rendering. What a pity it never got built, very post-modern and of its time but magnificent nonetheless. It would have been one of, if not the best, skyscrapers in NYC.

1989; Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates. 1080 feet; 74 storeys.

Banned Member

Ah, now I recall the project. I was at Bovis at the time. It was initially proposed to be the the site of a new World's Tallest Building (at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by larven
    Never heard of the Travelstead Tower before reading this thread but I did a google search and managed to find this rendering. What a pity it never got built, very post-modern and of its time but magnificent nonetheless. It would have been one of, if not the best, skyscrapers in NYC.

1989; Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates. 1080 feet; 74 storeys.

Looks nice but not the best I've seen. The ESB building looks better.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast