The 1961 Certificate of Occupancy for the lot at 30-40 Kenmare Street / 153 Elizabeth Street shows it was at that time listed as a parking lot. So the building probably come down right before that.
The NY Times Obituary Index for 1929 lists a funeral at 36 Kenmare Street:
GIOSCIA, John -- 19, Jan, 1929 -- DN (Death Notice) Son of Pancrazio Gioscia.
Funeral at 36 Kenmare St., on Jan. 22.
40 Kenmare Street was once the location of the workshop for a guitar maker named JOHN D'ANGELICO:
JOHN D'ANGELICO (1905-1964) built arch-top guitars and mandolins and is universally regarded as the finest archtop guitar builder that ever lived.
D'Angelico, born in New York City, began his learning at the age of nine in the workshop of his uncle, Signor Ciani who was known for his fine, traditional-st ...yle Italian mandolins and flat-top guitars. D'Angelico also studied violin making, which later influenced his arch-top guitar designs.
After his uncle died, D'Angelico ran the workshop for his aunt and managed approx. 15 employees until 1932, when he set up his own shop. D'Angelico's shop was located at 40 Kenmare Street in New York City. In 1959 the shop moved across the street ...According to a n article in teh NY Times, on the evening of July 9 1869 an 11-year old boy, Michael Sullivan, was severely injured whe he fell from the 3rd Floor window of the building located at 153 Elizabeth Street, just up the block from Michael's home at 149 Elizabeth.
The City of New York Law Department Report from 1909 (P. 668, "Tenement House Branch Office") lists TWO properties at 153 Elizabeth:
153 Elizabeth Street
153 Elizabeth Street (rear)The Annual Report of the Committee on Fire Patrol from 1903 shows this:
That list ^ skips 155, 157 & 159 Elizabeth.
DOB shows that the existing building at address 161-163 Kenmare (aka 29-37 Kenmare) is on the NW corner of Elizabeth / Kenmare.
A July 1895 NY Times article [pdf] about tenement sweat shops makes note of one in the vicinity of The Bowery at 157 Elizabeth Street.
Around 1903, when the Williamsburg Bridge opened, Kenmare Street was cut through from the Bowery to Lafayette Street (then Marion Street -- 1903 MAP below).
To make way for the new Kenmare Street the buildings were razed at mid-block of Elizabeth, Mott & Mulberry Streets between Spring & Grand.
The origin of the name for Kenmare Street goes back to an old Tammany Hall boss, named "Big Tim" Sullivan (not known if there is any link between him and the Sullivan boy who fell from 153 Elizabeth Street).