Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: National Pigeon Day - June 13th

Default National Pigeon Day - June 13th

I had tried to post several weeks ago, and was banned. I guess it was the implied death threat.....I write many times without thinking. But I really am angered about the way pigeons are treated in society. Maybe you guys are having your fun, but you are causing pigeons to be killed in painful ways with Avitrol, people smashing them in garbage bags and flinging them in the air.

If you agree with any living creature being treated in such a way, I would not post here anymore and you can ban me.

Pigeons, or anything alive, does not deserve this kind of cruel and inhumane treatment.

LD, most of the comments are facetious and sarcastic. I could not see ANY of the people on this forum physically killing these animals.

I HATE these animals. HATE them! But I have yet to even keep my car going in a strait line as one walks in front of me. Yes, I swerve.

I do not need food, and they are not a direct and immediate thread to my livelihood, so therefore I have no reason to kill them.

However, birth control so that they are no longer the fat, unkempt, SUV driving equivalent rulers of the avian kingdom in NYC is 200% favorable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by luciedove View Post
    I had tried to post several weeks ago, and was banned.
    You were not banned, or blocked from posting - in spite of your blanket characterization of everyone here as animal haters.

The impression I get of you is someone who thinks...

if 1 million pigeons is a good thing, then 10 million pigeons is 10 times better.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; March 12th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

I had tried to post several weeks ago, and was banned. I guess it was the implied death threat.....I write many times without thinking. But I really am angered about the way pigeons are treated in society. Maybe you guys are having your fun, but you are causing pigeons to be killed in painful ways with Avitrol, people smashing them in garbage bags and flinging them in the air.

If you agree with any living creature being treated in such a way, I would not post here anymore and you can ban me.

Pigeons, or anything alive, does not deserve this kind of cruel and inhumane treatment.
    I don't know if it's just me LD but...you say we are cruel for making innocent jokes about pigeons(saying they should be killed) yet you can give DEATH THREATS to HUMANS????? Hmmmmmmmmm. So in your eyes, pigeons are more sacred than human life?

Hey guys, my fault for transcribing her WISH for our offsprings deaths at the end of a rifle into an actual threat.

She did not, literally, theraten any of us. She just wished all of the 300 pound pidgeon pundits and punsters to remain fruitless and expire from the face of the earth.

That's all!

I mean, it is not like she was plucking chest hairs or anything!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I could not see ANY of the people on this forum physically killing these animals.
    Speak for yourself!

I've spent many a happy Sunday afternoon roaming the streets and parks with my baseball bat looking for Pigeons to exterminate.

A wonderful way to get rid of stress

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    Speak for yourself!

I've spent many a happy Sunday afternoon roaming the streets and parks with my baseball bat looking for Pigeons to exterminate.

A wonderful way to get rid of stress
    See what I am saying?

She says she does, but we all know it is very difficult to hit a pidgeon (correctly) with a baseball bat!

You really need a 7-iron.

^You have it ALL wrong...if you really want to clobber a pigeon, throwing a rock at it's head will do the trick.^ That is, if you do not happen to have a baseball bat or 7 iron handy.

Default Pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't know if it's just me LD but...you say we are cruel for making innocent jokes about pigeons(saying they should be killed) yet you can give DEATH THREATS to HUMANS????? Hmmmmmmmmm. So in your eyes, pigeons are more sacred than human life?
    People are in a position to protect themselves. Not only are they physically strong, there are resources for them to turn to -- 911, human rights organizations, other people coming to their aid, hospitals, etc, etc.

How can a pigeon defend himself? He has absolutely no way. He can never harm anyone, even if he was so inclined. It is an unfair fight in every way. Who will defend the underdog? He has so many enemies, yet he trusts....he will come and land gently on your hand for a morsel of food.

I will not stand by and do nothing to protect the innocent from being treated with extreme cruelty, not to mention disrespect and being taunted and ridiculed. The average human weights about 200 lbs and a pigeon a few ounces. What kind of fight is this? It is for cowards and wimps, and that is what people are who fight pigeons. If you are so inclined to fight, pick on someone your own size who can fight back.

People are in a position to protect themselves. Not only are they physically strong, there are resources for them to turn to -- 911, human rights organizations, other people coming to their aid, hospitals, etc, etc.
    Starting off on the wrong foot right out of the gate. I can make a death threat to a pidgeon and not make it feel scared to fly home at night. PLEASE do not try to directly associate this in human terms. So many things do not fit when you try to do so.

How can a pigeon defend himself? He has absolutely no way.
    He can FLY. Last time I checked, I couldn't.

He can never harm anyone, even if he was so inclined.
    If you mean he cannot physically attack someone and demand his wallet, you are probably right. But we are not saynig that, and you bringing the discussion to this is more than a bit silly.

It is an unfair fight in every way. Who will defend the underdog? He has so many enemies, yet he trusts....he will come and land gently on your hand for a morsel of food.
    Oh come ON now! You are making "him" sound like a disney character! He is a critter that feeds off of the stuff we leave behind. He does not "trust" you in the same way that we trust people, so stop anthropomorphising them into something they are not!

They are not getting in a fistfight, and we are not saying they are. Most of our suggestions are deliberately exaggerated for purposes of comic effect. "Defend the underdog"? We are not asking for global erradication of the little featherbags, you need to really get a grip!

I will not stand by and do nothing to protect the innocent from being treated with extreme cruelty, not to mention disrespect and being taunted and ridiculed.
    Like I said, do you see any pidgeons walking in the streets crying to themselves because someone jested about them online? No. You are turning them into something more than what they are. You are also hoping death and or misfortune on HUMANS that are just joking about them. Your value system is seriously skewed.

You did not ask us politely, you came at us as if we were physically assaulting these birds in front of you and you fely it was you God given duty to "defend" them. Simply asking nicely usually works better than coming out saying "OH MY GOD!!!".

The average human weights about 200 lbs
    I thought you said 300? BTW, the average is not 200. I do nto know where you got that from. AAMOF, the average HEALTHY human is somewhere around 120-140 for women and 160-180 for men.

and a pigeon a few ounces.
    They are about a half pound. Are you measuring worth by weight? Are they gold?

What kind of fight is this?
    It is one that you seem to want to have, not even realizing that there is no real fight happening. Again, get a clue.

It is for cowards and wimps, and that is what people are who fight pigeons.
    Are you trying to be funny, because that was pretty humorous. If pidgeons are so insignificant, sometimes it is the people that fight FOR them that are the wimps looking for approval from something they can, without question, consider themselves superior to.

I am sorry to say, but most people I find that are most attached to these birds do not have many other things in their lives that they feel for that are truly important. They need to feel like they are needed by something, that they have the power to "help" something, even if that something really does not need them any more than a careless garbage collection.

reading your posts Lucie, I can see that there are some things in your life that you really need to look at carefully and get some help with. If you are so willing to attack a group of relatively well meaning strangers over a bout of pidgeon jokes, you are putting WAY too much importance on the bird and it will only serve to alienate you from many of the other people that surround you day to day.

If you are so inclined to fight, pick on someone your own size who can fight back.
    Are you saying you are 300 pounds?

Again, seriously. Get help. You have taken this WAY too far and should seek counceling.

I liked my answer better.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post

Hmmm. This reminds me of another member, who's name i seem to have forgotten..... (he's a big fan of London...)

Lucie, if you are going to fight for animal rights, at least pick a species that may get some sympathy - why do you defend Pigeons with such vigour? Pigeons are common everywhere, and considered a pest by most people, (and a complete pain in the arse if you have a car)

I have very strong feelings about animal rights - here is a list of critically endangered species - animals on the edge of extinction; most of them probably won't be around for much longer - why not take up their cause? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critica...ngered_species
    Last edited by Meerkat; March 14th, 2008 at 03:03 AM.

Exclamation They taste awful.

I just wanted to add that i have eaten Pigeon.

It was vile. A bit like trying to chew rubber - no meat, all gristle, so Lucie, don't worry i won't be eatig Pigeon again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I liked my answer better.
    It just wasn't authentic w/o the poo flinging Zip!