Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Station 1910-1963

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post

I hope the campaign saves this little battler.
    It didn't. They're just about gone.

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com...enn-books.html

Yup

Default Pennsylvania R.R. Brochure - New Pennsylvania Station NYC - 1910

It looked so much more comfortable then.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    It looked so much more comfortable then.
    The problem with comfort (in terms of seating and lounges) is that it attracts the homeless which negates the comfort for everyone else. Although I suppose aggressive enforcement could mitigate that

The old terminals with the great sheds, like you see in the old grand central and the exchange place (NJ) are the most impressive style of station IMO. You see these today in Europe. Unfortunately, NY demolished it's train sheds. As to Penn, I would have actually preferred the NJ station to remain with it's large impressive shed rather than have Penn built. I bet, due to the less costly land in Jersey, that it would still be standing today if Penn had never gone ahead. If they had better connections to the subway at Exchange Place, there would have been not much of a time penalty for travel with having the station in Jersey. These huge train sheds are so far more impressive than even the old penn in my opinion. Nothing can beat that grand arch over the train platforms.

Exchange Place PATH station??

Quite the downgrade in prestige, but at least some of them are still with us.

Where are the 22 Eagles of Original Penn Station?

by Michelle Young
    originally posted 6/27/2013

An original Penn Station eagle at 7th Avenue and 31st Street

In April, we showed the “Untapped” side to one of NYC’s most hated buildings, Penn Station, and revealed where you can still see remnants of the original, architectural masterpiece by McKim, Meade & White (including cast-iron partitions and staircases). Researching for that piece, we also discovered that there were 22 original eagles on the original Penn Station and that at least 16 whole eagles still exist. So where are they?

2 Eagles are still located at Penn Station

7th Avenue and 33rd Street

Though two eagles still exist at Penn Station, they’re located in a far less noble position compared to their original location, above the frieze of the neoclassical, McKim, Mead & White edifice. Two are now located at the entrance on 7th and 33rd Street, yet another is fenced in on 7th Avenue near 31st Street.

More at Untapped Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    1960's: The end is near.

The overhangs were added to illuminate the place, but look tacky and tastless from this angle

Awesome collection whenever we are seeing old pics it will happiness thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Exchange Place PATH station??
    Exchange Place was the hub of the Pennsylvania Railroad getting into NYC. The trains stopped here from Philadelphia and points west on the P.R.R. - the freight cars went over on the Hudson on barges and the passengers took ferries to West Street to various points. From there, it was a cab or public transportation to get to Grand Central and the NY Central R.R. to points in New England, Boston etc.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    The old terminals with the great sheds, like you see in the old grand central and the exchange place (NJ) are the most impressive style of station IMO. You see these today in Europe. Unfortunately, NY demolished it's train sheds. As to Penn, I would have actually preferred the NJ station to remain with it's large impressive shed rather than have Penn built. I bet, due to the less costly land in Jersey, that it would still be standing today if Penn had never gone ahead. If they had better connections to the subway at Exchange Place, there would have been not much of a time penalty for travel with having the station in Jersey. These huge train sheds are so far more impressive than even the old penn in my opinion. Nothing can beat that grand arch over the train platforms.
    I agree that long term into the future, Exchange Place probably would have been an adequate transportation hub for the Pennsylvania Railroad. A lot of factors in the train shed thing though. One was that land even today in Jersey would probably have prescribed the main R.R. station going underground like MSG/Penn Station today. A lot of different technologies happening at the same time to when Penn Station was built. One was that electric trains into the main stations of Europe was what Alexander Cassatt President of the P.R.R. wanted, electric delivery within a city space made the shed design obsolete in terms of having, needing space to accommodate steam and smoke and adequately ventilate them out of the station area. Also the P.R.R. wanted a big building and a big presence in NYC to challenge NY Central’s dominance of the New England routes.

Also, the soot build up in these train shed roofs was a long term fire hazard as in a fire of the great shed at the Main East Coast hub of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Philadelphia’s Broad Street Station in 1923.

Going onto the price of land in Jersey or New York as in the case of the destruction the NYC Penn Station, Philly’s main station at Broad Street was sitting on prize center city real estate that dictated the tearing down of Broad Street Station in 1952 to make way for office buildings. The original main station was split into two functions, the Main north south station at 30th Street and Suburban Station near city hall, underground railroad passenger service into center city like the present MSG station setup. It was probably the Philly station plan redesign setup already in existence there that the P.R.R. had in mind when Penn Station got trashed and R.R. service got put underground.

Broad Street Station opposite City Hall

Forum Veteran

Nice, I had never seen what pre-dated the center city station. I can't say I disagree with what they did, I'd consider that blight. Not the case with old Penn which was very well done

Default FYI - Grand Central Train Shed - 1894

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYCGrandCentralTrainShed1894.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	18183  

Aren't those pics of the crappy Penn we have today (more or less), and not the old Penn Station?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast