Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Station 1910-1963

Quote Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
    The Deconstruction of

Pennsylvania Station: New York’s Great Shame

By: GVNY

The read was very interesting and well written GNV, thanks . In conjuction with the pictures one cannot help but clentch their jaws in anger at points during the read.

One thing that I have always wanted to know is who is responsible, not what coporation or group but rather who was the person (CEO, developer, politician or other) who made the ultimate call to do this astocity to NYC, for they shall be teh visual definition of development evil.

Thanks Ablarc! From you, I feel this to be a very prestigious complement.

Unfortunately, I believe the essay lost quite a bit of punch when I had to take it apart and post it onto WiredNY, but I am pleased you still enjoyed it.
    Please feel free to open a thread and post the entire essay, its not against the rules.

so many nice pic here , don't miss it or feel pity
    www.paintingmax.com

^spam
    please remove. Mykingdomlisa should be banned.

Default torn down

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    ^spam
    please remove. Mykingdomlisa should be banned.
    Haha! ...although I agree.

Anyways...may I ask why Pennsylvania Station was torn down?

Too big, too old, too combersome ...

and the railroad company needed money and wanted to build there

Ooh. Yes, from the pictures that I saw, I can see that it was huuge.

What did the railroad put there?

Benniest: Do you even bother to try an read the thread? Everything you ask is already answered in this thread ... take some time to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post

One thing that I have always wanted to know is who is responsible, not what coporation or group but rather who was the person (CEO, developer, politician or other) who made the ultimate call to do this astocity to NYC, for they shall be teh visual definition of development evil.
    The Pennsylvania Station deconstruction was of course due to an entanglement of interests ($$$) revolving around multiple powerful people, thus there really are no scapegoats. It was the fault of a lot of people, including all of New York City and its environs.

But, ultimately, some blame must be placed onto the corporate heads of the faltering Pennsylvania Railroad for allowing the ruination of the classically serene interior with Tischy's Modernist ticket counter (James M. Symes, president), and permitting the station's placement onto the real estate market and ensuring demolition (Allen J. Greenough, president, and James M. Symes, chief executive officer).

Many people are angered at MSG, Inc., for jumping at the opportunity to build a new garden over Pennsylvania Station, but 'they' did what any normal individual, family or company would do in a similar situation: act on a once-in-a-lifetime circumstance and acquire an impossibly safe and financially rewarding investment.

I like to write--a lot,
    Obviously.

yes--when I am ill.
    Hope you're better now, but I hope you keep writing.

It most certainly clears my mind and permits me to stay focused. I specifically write essays, as they allow me to hone my writing skills...hopefully it reads the least bit professionally.
    When you write something as well-researched as this, it becomes airtight; that makes it difficult or impossible to argue with.

Enjoy!
    I did.

The Dude Abides

The Pennsylvania Station deconstruction was of course due to an entanglement of interests ($$$) revolving around multiple powerful people, thus there really are no scapegoats. It was the fault of a lot of people, including all of New York City and its environs.

But, ultimately, some blame must be placed onto the corporate heads of the faltering Pennsylvania Railroad...
    There are many reasons, and many scapegoats. For starters, anyone who helped perpetuate the national downfall of railroads since their peak in the early 20th century.

Here's something I can correct, GVNY: they disassembled Penn Station so meticulously that I recall they were still at it in late 1964 --and probably somewhat into 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Benniest: Do you even bother to try an read the thread? Everything you ask is already answered in this thread ... take some time to take a look.
    Very sorry. I feel like a complete idiot due to there was an actual picture of what it was replaced with. I'll be sure to actually "read" the threads now.

-ben

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Here's something I can correct, GVNY: they disassembled Penn Station so meticulously that I recall they were still at it in late 1964 --and probably somewhat into 1965.
    I had read somewhere that the dismantling of Penn Station lasted from 1963-66.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast