Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this fair to British taxpayers?

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    I wont relax, I find you offensive and you are a drag on this site.
    Getting a bit personal aren't we alonzo, chill out and stop reading or responding to my postings if they upset you so much - betcha won't.

I would love to post positive things about the UK so the site and fellow brits like Meerkat et al could have an intelligent discussion but I know you would barge in and start your nonsensical ramblings and ruin it all.
    You and Meerkat can have all the "Ôntelligent conversations" you like, I'll only contribute if I have something positive, (subjective, I know), to offer. Not trying to introduce censorship are we alonzo?

I also notice you didnt respond to the article i posted.
    I've just had my late night large rum snifter so I'm off to the hammock on the poop deck - Õ'll save my response until tomorrow, If I can be bothered. I'm surprised you want me to comment with my (quote) "nonsensical ramblings"
    Good night alonzo, sleep well and don't forget that chill pill, you'll feel better in the morning.

So Alanzo, unlike the numbers that are posted about the US and its various debts, the one you are mentioning is personal debts over assets?

It is, say, the amount of mortgages out there?

That's nothing, if the salaries are enough to support them being paid off rather than not even being enough to pay the interest (ala USA).

Quote Originally Posted by Capn_Birdseye View Post
    Getting a bit personal aren't we alonzo, chill out and stop reading or responding to my postings if they upset you so much - betcha won't.
    When wasnt it personal? I was directing my opinion at you personally. 'betcha wont' Oh no how dumb am I going to look by continueing to express my opinion. I will continue because this is a public site I can do, read, respond to what I want. I wont be told what to do by you.

You and Meerkat can have all the "Ôntelligent conversations" you like, I'll only contribute if I have something positive, (subjective, I know), to offer. Not trying to introduce censorship are we alonzo?
    You have nothing to offer. No we cant have intelligent discussions because you will butt in with some random crap that is irrelevant twisting whatever I was to post into something against the government.

I've just had my late night large rum snifter so I'm off to the hammock on the poop deck - Õ'll save my response until tomorrow, If I can be bothered. I'm surprised you want me to comment with my (quote) "nonsensical ramblings"
    Good night alonzo, sleep well and don't forget that chill pill, you'll feel better in the morning.
    For someone who hates the government you could be a good politician by the way you are sidestepping a reasonable article refuting your scaremongering.

Default archbishop of cantebury - this is where UK screws up

The idea we should allow a group of people to practice sharia law is absurd. This is 1 thing the US does better than the UK I think. It's important to push hard for assimilation and patriotism among the immigrant population.

Debt in the UK is a problem, but the US is a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    QFT, I dont know what the hell that is.
    I think, perhaps, he was trying to say QED, but who knows, let alone cares.

As for Rowan Williams, what an irresponsible thing to say. This will merely inflame tensions - ludicrous.

Sharia is no law for Britain

Posted by Christopher Howse on 07 Feb 2008 at 19:25
    Tags: Islam, Muslims, Archbishop of Canterbury, Sharia law, Rowen Williams

The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to have lost the use of his senses. He told the BBC today that the application of Sharia in Britain "seems unavoidable". This would entail lashing for fornication and amputation for theft.

The rights of women have moved on, says Dr Williams

Dr Williams is a good and learned man, but he is mistaken to think that Islamic law works like English law or the sympathetic deliberations of a middle-class Welshman.

Indeed he said in his BBC interview: "Nobody in their right mind would want to see in this country the kind of inhumanity thatís sometimes been associated with the practice of the law in some Islamic states; the extreme punishments, the attitudes to women as well".

Sharia means literally the road to a watering place: a clear path to be followed. It is translated as "law", but it governs without restriction, as an infallible doctrine of duties, the whole of the religious, political, social, domestic and private life of those who profess Islam.

How would extreme punishments and bad treatment of women be prevented where the jurisdiction of Sharia was recognised? In Islam Sharia is the law of God as revealed in the Koran and through the behaviour and words of Mohammed.

Like Judaism, Islam is a thoroughly legalistic religion, and though there are no priests, there are clergy in the sense of men who know the law and make judgments. A religious scholar who gives opinions is called a mufti; his legal opinion is called a fatwa. The latter word is familiar now in a way it used not to be before silly old Salman Rushdie was condemned to death.
    "I donít know enough about the detail of the law in the Islamic law in this context," Dr Williams said, "Iím simply saying that there are ways of looking at marital dispute for example within discussions that go on among some contemporary scholars which provide an alternative to the divorce courts as we understand them."

Since the days of the Prophet, Dr Williams thinks, "the rights and liberties of women has moved on and the principle, the vision, that animates the Islamic legal provision needs broadening because of that." But Sharia does not rely on mere principles. It derives from the revelation of God, which may not be abrogated. Dr Williams referred to "principles laid down in the Quran". Here is one (4:34): "Admonish those women whose rebelliousness you fear, shun them in their resting-places and hit them. If they obey you, do not seek a further way against them."

How does Dr Williams address the prohibition on a Muslim woman to marry a man who is not a Muslim?

I am sorry to say he has made relations between Christians and Muslims more difficult.

^ The Archbishop should be ashamed of his comments. Sharia law in the UK no matter what form it takes -NO WAY. Residents of the UK should accept our laws and way of life or leave. At a time when tensions are high, these sort of comments will increase these tensions rather than diffusing them.

This is all the more sickening considering Rowan Williams colleague, The Rt Rev Dr Michael Nazir-Ali is now under police guard following death threats after his recent (and lets face it, true) comments about no-go areas for non-moslems in the UK. Just go to Oldham - A town almost completely segregated between moslems and non-moslems.
    Last edited by Meerkat; February 8th, 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Far from being respectful to Islam, I think these proposals for Sharia are pretty patronising to the vast majority of British Muslims who are perfectly happy to continue using secular British law. Even the often less than moderate Muslim Association of Britain is against any aspects of Sharia being incorporated into law.

Britain has a proud tradition of the rule of law and if acted on, this proposal would be a significant threat to it. Given the response of all three parties and the overwhelming voice of British Islam, I think Williams' ideas are extremely unlikely to be acted upon. All this proposal really does is confirm my belief in the disestablishment of the Church of England.

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Far from being respectful to Islam, I think these proposals for Sharia are pretty patronising to the vast majority of British Muslims who are perfectly happy to continue using secular British law. Even the often less than moderate Muslim Association of Britain is against any aspects of Sharia being incorporated into law.
    Poll reveals 40pc of Muslims want sharia law in UK

By Patrick Hennessy and Melissa Kite - Daily Telegraph
    Last Updated: 12:14am GMT 20/02/2006

Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.

The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

50pc said interracial relations were worseningOverall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still say they feel a degree of loyalty to Britain.

The results of the poll, conducted for the Sunday Telegraph, came as thousands of Muslims staged a fresh protest in London yesterday against the publication of cartoons of Mohammed. In Libya, at least 10 people died in protests linked to the caricatures.

And in Pakistan, a cleric was reported to have put a $1 million (£575,000) bounty on the head of the Danish cartoonist who drew the original pictures.
    Last night, Sadiq Khan, the Labour MP involved with the official task force set up after the July attacks, said the findings were "alarming". He added: "Vast numbers of Muslims feel disengaged and alienated from mainstream British society." Sir Iqbal Sacranie, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: "This poll confirms the widespread opposition among British Muslims to the so-called war on terror."

The most startling finding is the high level of support for applying sharia law in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain.

Islamic law is used in large parts of the Middle East, including Iran and Saudi Arabia, and is enforced by religious police. Special courts can hand down harsh punishments which can include stoning and amputation.

Forty per cent of the British Muslims surveyed said they backed introducing sharia in parts of Britain. Twenty per cent felt sympathy with the July 7 bombers' motives, and 75 per cent did not. One per cent felt the attacks were "right".

Half of the 500 people surveyed said relations between white Britons and Muslims were getting worse. Only just over half thought the conviction of the cleric Abu Hamza for incitement to murder and race hatred was fair.

^ Why does none of this surprise me?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123