Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this fair to British taxpayers?

Default Is this fair to British taxpayers?

Multiple wives will mean multiple benefits

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones
    Last Updated: 1:52am GMT 04/02/2008

Husbands with multiple wives have been given the go-ahead to claim extra welfare benefits following a year-long Government review, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Even though bigamy is a crime in Britain, the decision by ministers means that polygamous marriages can now be recognised formally by the state, so long as the weddings took place in countries where the arrangement is legal.

The outcome will chiefly benefit Muslim men with more than one wife, as is permitted under Islamic law. Ministers estimate that up to a thousand polygamous partnerships exist in Britain, although they admit there is no exact record.

The decision has been condemned by the Tories, who accused the Government of offering preferential treatment to a particular group, and of setting a precedent that would lead to demands for further changes in British law.

New guidelines on income support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state: "Where there is a valid polygamous marriage the claimant and one spouse will be paid the couple rate ... The amount payable for each additional spouse is presently £33.65."

Income support for all of the wives may be paid directly into the husband's bank account, if the family so choose. Under the deal agreed by ministers, a husband with multiple wives may also be eligible for additional housing benefit and council tax benefit to reflect the larger property needed for his family.

The ruling could cost taxpayers millions of pounds. Ministers launched a review of the benefit rules for polygamous marriages in November 2006, after it emerged that some families had benefited financially.

The review concluded in December last year with agreement that the extra benefits should continue to be paid, the Government admitted. The decision was not publicly announced

society unravels slowly but surely ...

Quote Originally Posted by Capn_Birdseye View Post
    The outcome will chiefly benefit Muslim men with more than one wife, as is permitted under Islamic law.
    Another example of the slow but sure Islamification of the UK. Frightening.

What do you expect? Polygamous goat-fuc#ers are a small but solid constituency for Labour.

The Scum and a few other tabloids will scream, but the mainstream media protrays any attempt by, say, the Tories to nix such a project as inherently racist.

I think Britain could be the first European country to become politically/legislatively islamified.

This seems to be a good as reason as any to outlaw marriage for everyone -- once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I think Britain could be the first European country to become politically/legislatively islamified.
    I fear you may be right, but to say that in public would result in hysterical accusations of Islamophobia. People will realise when its too late - in fact it may already be too late.
    Last edited by Meerkat; February 6th, 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Could someone please explain why, other than this one law, the UK has apparently become an Islamic state?

^because its now law for everyone to wear a hijab. Mine is a soft blue colour with purple trim.

I dont think so. Could I have a real answer please.

Alonzo - where's your sense of humour? I was joking.

I don't think anyone has said it HAS become an Islamic state, but it certainly feels that we are slowly heading that way. Go to this http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8626 thread. I added a number of posts voicing my concerns - rather than re-writing it all again here.

I do have a sense of humour, i apologise but my patience is pretty thin on the whole Capn Birdseye/ Gregory Tenenbaum constant whining about britain, posting every negative story they find concerning it and completely ignoring everything good about the Uk which vastly outweighs the bad. It is getting extremely old.

^ yes i agree, but if i say anything negative its directed at the government, not the country. Captain Birdseye, i think i secretly quite patriotic, although he'd never admit that . The other one, well, i'm as perplexed as you.

Remember when people find fault in others, its usually because they are unhappy with themselves.

The government makes mistakes as does every other government in the world. The country is in a great state because the government for the most part is doing well. Id hate to see this board if it existed before 1997.

Yes I believe CB and GT have alot of issues with themselves.

Yo Alonzo, you know very well from my posts that I'm far from a Tenenbaum-Birdseye 'Jeremiah', least of all about Britain. I think the same can be said of Meerkat (despite his/her silly net moniker )

I do think that the mix of large, concentrated, newly self-aware, ethnically-conscious Islamic population centers on one hand and an entitlement-rich, stridency-rewarding, politically-correct political system on the other will produce situations, over the next 5-15 years, where laws that would not otherwise have been considered will hit the UK statute books.

I did not say the UK is islamified, just that it is more likely to become islamified than countries that either have a less self-assured Islamic presence or ones (take France) which tended to be governed more top-down.

If we regard the term 'phobia' as an irrational fear or dislike of something, then I'm not an islamophobe. I am against all theocratic movements and I am strongly against the imposition of any legal of customary restraints on the liberties of civilized peoples due to religious superstition, be it Islamic, Judaic, Christian or Jedi.

Default what's the connect to Islam?

Why are we assuming all polygamous relationships in Britain are among Muslims? I would conjecture you'd get at least some libertarians among the mix of people who would be bigamists.

Sounds like this is just a badly written law that parlaiment should fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast