Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970's New York City

"Serpico" was on TCM last night -- great NYC movie from '73 with Pacino in top form. Shot all over town, including lots of not-so-different-from-today locations (except everything is now much spiffier): Great Jones Street, Washington Square, Meat Packing District, Manhattan Bridge, Seventh Avenue south of Sheridan Square, Minetta Street (where Serpico had a run-down garden apartment) -- all looking just as I remembered them during my first visits to NYC.

God, i keep coming back to this thread, just wishing i witnessed this. I love the city so much, it had so much more personality back then though.

I Love You New York

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy

Yes, the quirkiness, kookiness has pretty much dried up.

More quirkiness on parade. I was on Picasa looking for something else, and well, ended up finding these. Picasa's great, but their search is horrible. You really have to dig to find the treasures.

All the rest of this post from 1978

S&M anyone??

Last edited by Radiohead; February 28th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

1978 (cont)

Eva Gabor was just wild about a penthouse view. She would have loved these

The above large color pics courtesy of Jean Claude Hubi

A touch of New Orleans debauchery in NYC

The above large color pics by Jean Claude Hubi
    Last edited by Radiohead; February 28th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Crosby St 1978

UN Bldg 1971

Above 2 from Tom/Picasa

Last edited by Radiohead; February 28th, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

1976-Moonies unite!

1976 Top of the WTC

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    "Serpico" was on TCM last night -- great NYC movie from '73 with Pacino in top form. Shot all over town, including lots of not-so-different-from-today locations (except everything is now much spiffier): Great Jones Street, Washington Square, Meat Packing District, Manhattan Bridge, Seventh Avenue south of Sheridan Square, Minetta Street (where Serpico had a run-down garden apartment) -- all looking just as I remembered them during my first visits to NYC.
    I had a girlfriend who used to live in Serpico's old apartment. That was in the early 90's. Was a really nice place then, and I'm sure it's pimped out now.

Love that pic of the kids hanging on Minetta, while the old lady walks across the street. Those kids were the same age as me at the time, growing up in the same neighborhood. Reminds me of my old league basketball days.

We used to play against the Italian/Portugese kids at St. Anthony's gym on Houston. Our squad was reppin' the Children's Aid Society on Sullivan St. We were a rag tag lot. A rainbow coalition of downtown kids. It was an intense rivalry! Our league was sponsored by all the Italian restaurants around the way (Minetta Tavern, Monte Titano's, etc.). We wore gross burgundy, tight fitting, polyester uni's. Thems were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by Agile View Post
    Wow, am I glad I stumbled on this thread. I grew up in Tribeca and SoHo in the 70's & 80's. These photos bring back so many memories.

I used to go to Dave's Luncheonette on Canal & Broadway. They made a mean Lime Rickey. I lived in a few places. Broadway between Grand & Broome, right next to the Fleisig & Sons clock. That ugly yellow neon sign was locked in my memory.

I also lived on the corner of Mercer & Houston.

My early Tribeca memories are of riding my bike on the old elevated West Side Highway

I could go on and on!
    Wow, way cool! I lived about 4 years in the Cable building right there, I dont remembers Daves, but do you remember the "New Way Luncheonette" on Waverly and Mercer run by 3 brothers?
    It looked straight out of the 1950's, gritty, old,but in the 50's it was hopping big and had waitresses serving the booths. Had a fountain and great burgers
    Around 1980 their lease either expired or was to double or both and they closed up.

Used to eat there lots as a teen, and they had a "tab"system with the regulars, you ate and they put it on your tab- a file kept in a box under the counter- to pay later.

How about Bertolotti's restaurant on 3rd, or Peter's Backyard restauant on W 10th?

Was that on the SW corner? I vaguely do. A block north from The Bottom Line. I bet they did a bang up business after shows.

Does anyone know what station this is? Based on the design and single track and the wall separating the track going the opposite direction I can only assume that it has to be one of maybe 4 stations on what's now the F line.

Perhaps 14th or 23rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Does anyone know what station this is? Based on the design and single track and the wall separating the track going the opposite direction I can only assume that it has to be one of maybe 4 stations on what's now the F line.

Perhaps 14th or 23rd?
    I showed this pic to my father who is a retired NYC Transit motorman. During his career he drove on the IND & BMT lines. Towards the end of his career he drove what they call the "work train". The "work train" runs late at night hauling materials/equipment thru the subway system most of the they would route thru stations no longer in use. The station in this pic is definatley 1 of those stations...he said it looked like it could be 1 of the out of service stations at Canal Street. He said graffiti writers/homeless/etc would access the stations thru the tunnels.
    Last edited by bigscore; March 11th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

I know all about work trains and the subway system, my dad is a retired train conductor :-). I doubt that's an out of service station that far down the east side, and most of the stations further north have 2 platforms separated by 4 tracks and nothing else. This is definitely a station on the west side, most likely around Chelsea.

Edit - The homeless still use the tunnels to access stations. Nothing's changed in 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
    I showed this pic to my father who is a retired NYC Transit motorman. During his career he drove on the IND & BMT lines. Towards the end of his career he drove what they call the "work train". The "work train" runs late at night hauling materials/equipment thru the subway system most of the they would route thru stations no longer in use. The station in this pic is definatley 1 of those stations...he said it looked like it could be 1 of the out of service stations at Canal Street. He said graffiti writers/homeless/etc would access the stations thru the tunnels.

With the AMC Empire 25 moved a couple of hundred feet to the west, right about where the Blimpie used to sit.