Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Thread: 1970's New York City

These photos are just great, it captures so many things about NYC back then.

Im from the Highlands in Scotland, the town i live in does not even have 1 set of traffic lights, where even back then, NY seems to have still had a lot despite the problems obvious in the photos.

I just wondered, the poeple who took these photos, were they just out and about practicing there shooting, did they realise at the time they were capturing an important part in NY history, and did they every think 30 years later how significant these photos would become?

Davie

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Photos taken today have the same future historical value

Forum Veteran

Not with a camera in everyone's pocket. They will simply be just nowhere near as rare. Still there's plenty to go around from the 70's, and less and less the further back in time you go

A nice way to kill 25 minutes (bonus feature at the end: Great compilation of NYC film actors we've lost):

Dirty Old New York aka Fun City, Part V

http://vimeo.com/89911050

The conclusion of DIRTY OLD NEW YORK AKA FUN CITY. This segment begins with a recap of the previous installments; this includes scenes that are unique to Part V, but are connected by motif to scenes collected in DIRTY OLD NEW YORK SUBWAY and Parts I - IV. As with the other videos, I've attempted to connect the scenes by location, film, actor, or theme.
    This video contains some nudity so it may be NSFW depending on where you work.

You will also notice my continued pre-occupation / obsession with analog, often obsolete, technologies...pay phones, turntables, tube television sets, 3/4" video tapes, VCRs, etc.

knifeinthehead.blogspot.com/2014/03/dirty-old-new-york-aka-fun-city-part-v.html

DIRTY OLD NEW YORK AKA FUN CITY HERE:

DIRTY OLD NEW YORK SUBWAY: vimeo.com/65108638

Forum Veteran

Memo posted to NY Times Employees in 1970's-80's:

■ "Pockets are easily picked in delis and fast-food outlets.”
    ■ "Walk along the curb of the sidewalk, rather than close to the buildings.”
    ■ "Go to any bank with one or more colleagues because there is safety in numbers.”
    ■ "Do not walk on the south side of 43rd Street at any time of the day, especially toward Eighth Avenue.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/ny...mory.html?_r=0

I actually avoid walking along the curb, because it's easier to get run over where you're closer to the street, especially if there are no parked cars in the way (a lawful form of homicide pursuant to current NYPD protocol).

NYC was quite rank for a while.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I almost got hit by a bus' sideview mirror when I stood too close to the curb. I know I would've suffered severe head trauma and a coma if it hit me.

Looking back at these photos, I realized that a good half of the subjects are now dead, as will I be one day in the future. No one lives forever.

■ "Do not walk on the south side of 43rd Street at any time of the day, especially toward Eighth Avenue.”

Visual proof of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4SNjazkyY

For those who are weary of clicking links, it's a 40 minute documentary by the guy who produced Wild Style who happened to live at the corner of 43rd and 8th in the late '80s. Lots of street fights and all around crazy s*** to be seen here.

Forum Veteran

Misplaced nostalgia notwithstanding, when I see such videos I always come to the same conclusion - where the f*** were the cops

Thank god for Rudy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

The Infamous 1977 Blackout Is Focus Of New PBS Documentary

Most people remember the 2003 blackout, that sent NYC and much of the Northeast into darkness on a sultry August day. But it was nothing compared to the Blackout of 1977 during the frightening "Summer of Sam." On the 38th anniversary of the blackout, PBS will air a new American Experience feature, Blackout, with archival photographs and footage, plus interviews from those who lived through it; one recalls, "Buildings were burning. Cars were burning. Garbage in lots were burning."
    The program takes you back into the bad, old days of the city, when New York teeteringtowards bankruptcy, unemployment was high, city employees were being laid off and the Son of Sam was a year and a half into his reign of terror. A thunderstorm on July 13, 1977 hit a power line in Westchester County and a cascade of problems occurred, as power demand surged on the other available lines. Con Ed ended up dumping customers off the grid to save the system—but the lights still went out.

http://gothamist.com/2015/06/24/1977_blackout_movie.php

Last edited by GordonGecko; July 17th, 2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: fixed broken links of images