Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New York Pet Peeves

^ Indeed.

I think a lottt of people here would have a problem if they saw me walking down the street in New York. I'm constantly listening to my iPod and constantly texting/calling.

HOWEVER... I'm not one of those people that "sways from side to side of the sidewalk" while texting and doesn't get in people's way..

Haha!

There were a few "ruder than usual" people on the subway today. While getting onto the A at 59th today I stood to the side to let all the folks get off, plus people were already going in from their other side, so the side closest to me was all they had. A man behind me says, "Are we going to go in or not!?" I just kind of looked at him and went on in. When we arrived at West 4th St he and his friend were getting off, but they couldnt exit because of all the people coming on without letting them off. He then screams, "JESUS CHRIST! Usually people are supposed to let people off before coming on!" I just laughed out loud.

I hate HATE getting stuck in the smelly bum car on the subway. i got on a train last night at 4 am and the train car was empty. i rushed and got on as the doors were closing, so proud of my little sprint since im not athletic at all, and then was completely overwhelmed by the stench. But the car was empty. It was Bum Linger smell. Bum must have gotten off the prior stop. But the entire car was funked up. i couldn't trade cars until the next stop trying to hold my breath. It was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy88 View Post

... Bum Linger smell ...
    LMFAO

Put that at the top of my list, too.

Along with the empty car mirage that goes hand in hand with it.

Lesson:

Always carry a small container of Vicks with you....

Can we talk about the idiot cab drivers who push pedestrians out of the crosswalk and then race to the next red light?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Lesson:

Always carry a small container of Vicks with you....
    Hey thats actually a good idea

Some of mine:

Someone stopping dead in front of you on the subway stair to talk on the cellphone.

People who talk on their cellphones on the bus. Like I really want to know what you're having for dinner.

Tourist who walk slow and or don't know where they're going.

People who don't know how to read a newspaper on the train. Fold the damn thing!

When you're walking down the street, and someone is right in front of you, they try to play tough guy, and make you walk around them.

When you're flagging a cab or bus, and they stop about 20 feet pass you.

More to come.

Scruffy- That had me dying of laughter at 4 in the morning. You gotta bring a clothespin next time.

Omega- Yeah, I freaking can't stand those people either. Every time I get stuck behind somebody who stops dead in the middle of the sidewalk, I just yell, "HEY TOURIST! Can I get through?" Works every time.

Pet peeves of mine?
    People who crowd all next to the doors on the subway, and leave enough space between the sets of doors for me to do a somersault if I wanted to.
    People who walk at a tortoise's pace down the sidewalk because they're too busy Blackberrying to look up and pay attention to where they're going (I'm waiting to see one of these people walk into a light pole).
    Human Resource departments that expect you to wait 'til hell freezes over to hear back about your resume (If I had a dollar for every Craigslist job posting with No phone calls, please! at the bottom, I'd have enough loot to make lottery winners jealous.
    Panhandlers who single out one person in passing for a special appeal - there could be 50 people walking to and fro and idling around, and dude'll pick out one guy to ask for a dollar.
    Last edited by Straphanger123; February 21st, 2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: All about the peeves, man

The tag-teams sent out by "Save the Children" "Save the Environment" and other orgs (all of which, over he past couple of years, have decided that the sidewalks within 2 blocks of my home are the BEST place in the world to sign-up supporters, & extricate cash).

They greet you with such heartwarming and guilt-producing phrases as:
    "Do you care about starving Children?"

"Do you care about the Environment?"
    Clearly they don't care about my pocketbook, other than to clean it out.

When out & about doing errands I get hit up half a dozen times. Double that -- Twice by each group, at both ends of their deployment.

All these professional panhandlers have an eager, glazed look in their eyes -- akin to Scientologists.

Could it be that they're all part of the same scheme?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Answer to first question,
    "You have got to be kidding."

Answer to second question,
    "Are you working for free today?"

re-swipes

sandwich-board guys hawking fake zegna suits

anyone who tries to sell me anything

sidewalk drifters

slow walkers

kids

outside of delivery radius

film crews on my street

^Funny: kids, in general, being a "pet peeve".

And not just in NY either.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast