View Poll Results: Do you support the development 53 West 53rd Street?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. This future New York landmark should be fast tracked through the approval process.

101 98.06%
  • No.

2 1.94%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 53 West 53rd Street Petition (Build the MOMA Spire)

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

After studying the flowchart and logically adding in the LPC into the process, I believe this particular ULURP application will proceed as follows:

CB --> Boro Pres. --> LPC --> City Planning --> City Council --> Mayor --> (and if necessary) City Council again.

In other words, the BP is next with perhaps the LPC following very quickly after that.

Thumbs up

Okay. So thats who we have to email next. I'm quoting Zippy:

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The Community Board forwards its decision to the Borough President, who has 30 days to send a recommendation to the City Planning Commission. If the BP fails to act, it's considered a no-vote.

The City Planning Commission must hold a public hearing within 60 days of the end of the BP's review period.

The CPC calendar is here.

The entire land use procedure is documented here.

Now is the time to send emails to Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer
    Manhattan Borough President
    Scott Stringer's email address is:

bp@manhattanbp.org

I will send my email tomorrow. This takes some time and effort, but we must make sure our voices are heard. If this building is built and helps define NYC for future generations, itíll be well worth it. For those of you who have already sent emails to CB5 itíll be mostly a copy and paste job with just a little rewording to change it from a past tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    we need to canvass the neighborhood. I don't know what its boundaries would be,
    The CB5 boundaries are:

Banned Member

Just a suggestion from some stuff we learned from the Memorial Project....

1. Stop talking about a plan of "attack" and refer to it as advocating for the project or a lobbying effort. "Attack" automatically and irreversibly sets us up as "anti-Community Board" and creates a Residents versus pro-Design & Development group.

2. As I believe Fabrizio suggested earlier, stay focused. If people want to find a way to "attack" those lobbying for the building, we have a trail of some rants here againt the Community Board and the folks we are trying to prevail over. Don't make it personal.

3. Besides talking about the beautiful, iconic architecture, develop a list of community benefits from its construction. There is no doubt that a list of negatives will be presented. Off the top of my head we are looking at the following:

a) Construction Jobs
    b) Investment in NY
    c) The completion of a significant and vital midtown architectural and arts corridor with the Tishman Bldg, St. Thomas, Moma, Museum Tower, Deutsche Bank, Crafts Museum, BlackRock and the coming Orient-Express 21 Hotel. This new building is an ideal addition, especially to this street.
    d) Continued increase in housing stock that benefits residents, businesses, and, most importantly, helps maintain our Congressional representation levels against other expanding cities and regional areas.
    e) Increase in tax revenues as this will not be a 421-a bldg.
    f) A continued commitment to modern Urban Planning by pressing forward with the creation of mixed use neighborhoods as opposed to separate business and residential districts - thus reducing negative impacts on Mass Transit and traffic.
    g) An iconic new skyline reference as a direct response to those that thought 9/11 would curtail New York growth and retain NYC as an epicenter of global importance.

Stuff like that.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; March 19th, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

I am going to send out my email to BP and probably the same email at the same time to LPC. Great points BR.

Perhaps a mention of the importance of a new high-quality building by a renowned architect in an area that is seeing an ugly glass reclad of the Newsweek building, the destruction of the Drake and the townhouses on 56th and 57th. This building maintains the quality and asthetic standards that the area was known for.

Forum Veteran

I just wrote the BP.

Having exchanged more than a few emails with a senior member of CB5, I must say that this guy sounded like he was in an anti-development bubble. It's anti-inspiring to think that this thought is what drives our community boards. It begs the question, how do we make community boards more reflective of the public. Ultimately, we need to know how we get more people to vote in general.

I just finished talking with a receptionist over at the LPC and apparently a hearing for this application hasn't been scheduled over there yet so now I'm certain the sequence below is correct and the BP is where it's currently up to.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    CB --> Boro Pres. --> LPC --> City Planning --> City Council --> Mayor --> (and if necessary) City Council again.

In other words, the BP is next with perhaps the LPC following very quickly after that.

Started actively plugging the petition on SSP a while ago. Should we actively promote on SSC as well, or should we stay away from there and their immature forumers that may be detrimental to the serious tone of the petition?

Banned Member

I don't think the immature forumners would take the time.

I just wanted to drop my voice and support towards the work being done to support this truly amazing building. I just sent an email to Scott Stringer in support of the project. Please continue to let us New Yorkers know what needs to be done to see that this tower is built.

For what it's worth, you have my unequivocal support wherever it is needed.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I don't think the immature forumners would take the time.
    You would be very surprised.

In any case, I would object to petitioning Skyscrapercity.

And just to note, I have signed the petition. If this tower does indeed get approval for reasons that may be directly related to the petition, I am going to feel proud that my name is one of the first five to change New York architectural history.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

I would refrain from inviting SSC into this. We are already fighting the perception that we are skyscraper-loving developer lapdogs, so we don't need to give anyone any more reason to think that. I post on a forum on SSC for a different city and it is great, but the one for NY is lame, probably because all of the good posters are here!

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

not sure where to put this link. guess it makes sense here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/ar...ts&oref=slogin

Okay, here we go. This is it.

The hearing for the air rights transfer aka "Modification of bulk pursuant to Section 74-79 of the Zoning Resolution" has been scheduled by the Landmarks Preservation Commission on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:30 A.M. in the morning of that day, a public hearing will be held in the Conference Room at 1 Centre Street, 9th Floor.

I suggest everyone who wants to help should attend that meeting and speak up and show your support for the project.

In the meantime, I'll try to find out tomorrow how your letters and comments can also be submitted to the commissioners prior to the meeting.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast