Thread: Public Hearings/Community Board Meetings

Default Public Hearings/Community Board Meetings

Fellow Wired New York Members,

I am suggesting the use of this thread for members to post any information they come across regarding public hearings on developments in the city so that we can not only be informed as to what is being suggested to be built, but also to take a more active role in shaping the city as we see fit rather than just watching from our computer screens.

This comes out of the great enthusiasm that has been stired on the MOMA Expansion thread as well as my own experience at a public hearing that I went to last night on the New School's proposed tower on 14th and 5th. It was amazing to me to see the description of NIMBYism that is so often referred to on this site come to life before my eyes. Every person besides the school administrator and architect of note for the project spoke out voraciously against the project as though the developers were suggesting establishing a landfill rather than a school. In fairness, this is not to say that some valid points were not raised regarding use of materials and other issues of contextual development, but it was obvious that the vast majority of the public representatives have no regard for what is best for the CITY'S future rather than their own. And the majority didn't seem to have thought through what good design involves and only are excited by the word setbacks and getting a tower on a pedestal, which if you look around the neighborhood is actually out of form with the rest of 5th Avenue.

And so as I watched each person stand up and rip this suggestion for a SCHOOL's enlargement I couldn't help, but wonder were the Wired New York Community was and other New Yorker's who spend time thinking of smart development and New York's future. The Community Boards do a great job of rallying their base to these meetings and so in this thread I am suggesting that we try to accumulate information on important public hearings. Then those of use who are able could attend and speak out for development that we all feel has otherwise been dampened in NYC in recent years. Whether it is emailing or actually attending a few of these events every year I think that we could definitely have a good degree of impact. Here's to hoping!

This is a great idea for a thread, we already missed a chance last night for the most popular building on the forum, can we make a sticky and perhaps make this an obligatory thread to be populated?

Default April 1st Meeting on St. Vincent's Hospital

So I'll be the first to get this going . . . The following is an email I received from the Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation regarding a Landmarks hearing set for April 1st that will address St. Vincent Hospital's development of a new hospital across the street from its current location on the site of what is currently a clinic building. The proposed hospital sounds amazing and will not only enable better care for the current residents who utilize the hospital, but will also provide for the growing population that NYC will contend with in coming years. The present hospital building will be sold to developers and used to create a large number of units for housing. Take a few minutes to review the following note and if you can make it to support what you see to be appropriate that would be great.

Dear friend,

GVSHP has just been informed that the Landmarks Preservation Commission's (LPC) hearing on the St. Vincent's/Rudin development proposal has been set for Tuesday, April 1 starting at 9:30 am at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, 199 Chambers Street, in Theater One. This proposal -- the largest ever presented to the Landmarks Preservation Commission in its 43-year history -- has enormous implications for Greenwich Village and for the nature of landmarks protections throughout New York City. I thus urge you, if at all possible, to reserve the morning of April 1 to come to the LPC to testify on this extremely important application.

The hearing will be on St. Vincent's and Rudin Management's proposal to demolish nine buildings in the Greenwich Village Historic District AND to replace them with a new 330 ft. tall hospital, a 265 ft. tall apartment building, a 12-story apartment building, and two rows 5-story residences (testimony will be heard about both the proposed demolitions and the new developments). The hearing is expected to take hours, so please leave as much time as you can to attend and speak (you will also have the option of dropping off written testimony or sending in testimony if you cannot do this).

Please note that the LPC has made a special hearing JUST on this application, rather than having it heard as part of a full day's schedule of hearings on a range of items, which is their usual procedure. Normally the exact time discussion of any item begins might not be known in advance, but this will not be the case with this hearing. The hearing will also be moved from the LPC's usual hearing room to accommodate the larger than usual expected crowds (their hearing room only holds about 50). These are very important changes from their normal practices which GVSHP had asked the Commission to consider for this critically important hearing, which we believe will make it much easier for the public to participate in the hearing and have their input heard and considered. We are very grateful to the Commission for considering our input and structuring the hearing in this way.

I will have more information soon about the hearing, but please reserve this date on your calendar now so that you might be able to attend. Thank you.

For more information about the Rudin/St. Vincent's proposal, see http://www.gvshp.org/StVincents.htm.

Andrew Berman, Executive Director
    Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation
    212/475-9585 x38
    232 East 11th Street
    New York, NY 10003

Do we have to go to a specific CB website to find out about their hearings? Or is there a citywide site we can check?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I don't think there is one comprehensive site. You have to go to each community boards' website (note: not all CB's have websites either) to find out information within their district.

This is a map from City Planning (<-- click there if you are seeking more info) showing all the CB's in the city:

Default Manhattan CB # 1

Manhattan Community Board #1

49-51 Chambers Street, Room 715
    New York, NY 10007
    TEL: (212) 442-5050
    FAX: (212) 442-5055
    E-mail: info@cb1.org
    District Manager: Paul Goldstein

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 2

Manhattan Community Board #2

3 Washington Square Village, Suite 1A
    New York, NY 10012
    TEL: (212) 979-2272
    FAX: (212) 254-5102
    E-mail: cb2manhattan@nyc.rr.com
    District Manager: Bob Gormley

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 3

Manhattan Community Board #3

59 East Fourth Street
    New York, NY 10003
    TEL: (212) 533-5300
    FAX: (212) 533-3659
    E-mail: info@cb3manhattan.org
    District Manager: Susan Stetzer

Website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb3/html/home/home.shtml

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 4

Manhattan Community Board #4

330 West 42nd Street, 26th Floor
    New York, NY 10036
    TEL: (212) 736-4536
    FAX: (212) 947-9512
    E-mail: info@manhattancb4.org
    District Manager: Robert J. Benfatto Jr.

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 5

Manhattan Community Board #5

450 Seventh Avenue, Suite 2109
    New York, NY 10123
    TEL: (212) 465-0907
    FAX: (212) 465-1628
    E-mail: office@cb5.org
    District Manager: Gary Parker

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 6

Manhattan Community Board #6

866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 308
    New York, NY 10017
    TEL: (212) 319-3750
    FAX: (212) 319-3772
    E-mail: mn06@cb.nyc.gov
    District Manager: Toni Carlina

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 7

Manhattan Community Board #7

1865 Broadway, 4th Floor
    New York, NY 10023
    TEL: (212) 603-3080
    FAX: (212) 595-9317
    E-mail: mailcb7@cb7.org
    District Manager: Penny Ryan

Boundaries:

Default Manhattan CB # 8

Manhattan Community Board #8

505 Park Avenue, Suite 620
    New York, NY 10022
    TEL: (212) 758-4340
    FAX: (212) 758-4616
    E-mail: info@cb8m.com
    District Manager: Elizabeth McKee

Boundaries:

The rest of the Manhattan CB's...

Manhattan Community Board #9

565 West 125th Street
    New York, NY 10027
    TEL: (212) 864-6200
    FAX: (212) 662-7396
    E-mail: nyc-cb9m@juno.com
    District Manager: Lawrence McClean

Manhattan Community Board #10

215 West 125th Street, 4th Floor
    New York, NY 10027
    TEL: (212) 749-3105
    FAX: (212) 662-4215
    E-mail: ycornelius@cb10.org
    District Manager: Yasmin H. Cornelius

Manhattan Community Board #11

55 East 115th Street
    New York, NY 10029
    TEL: (212) 831-8929
    FAX: (212) 369-3571
    E-mail: info@cb11m.org
    District Manager: George Sarkissian

Manhattan Community Board #12

711 West 168th Street, Ground Floor
    New York, NY 10032
    TEL: (212) 568-8500
    FAX: (212) 740-8197
    E-mail: manh12@verizonesg.net
    District Manager: Charles DeFino

Ladies & Gentleman, I wrote a letter to CB5 and below is their response. The response is total nonsense. I would like for everyone to email and rebuttal this response. He said that this building will be more then twice the height of the buildings I mentioned (Chrysler, Empire)thats just ignorant. Who told this guy the tower is 2000 FT? He also said it will be way taller then the Chrysler building. I believe this gentleman is very misinformed. A board that stretches from downtown all the way to midtown should have no influence on a project like this. They should split this Community Board because it covers way to much space. Be warned what they wrote is just ludicrous. He also told me I should put my energy on finding a new site for the developer to build this tower, but I'm sure a shmuck just like him wouldn't try to shoot it down if I did.

HMe347@aol.com to me
    show details 11:43 PM (37 minutes ago)

Dear Mr. Love4NY (changed my name),

Your email to the Community Board Office has been referred to me for reply.

The explanation why the scale of the building is a problem for the Community Board is quite simple. This proposed building at 75 stories would be twice the size of most of the buildings you referred to; plus most of the comparable buildings are sited on broad avenues and/or wide side streets unlike the proposed tower which is "shoe-horned" into a mid-block site that is zoned for a building 1/3 its size. In other words, it is totally disharmonious in its siting. The buildings that you now see in the skyline are for the most part appropriate to their siting such as the Chrysler Building, which this tower would exceed in height.
    The design may be brilliant and the development may be beneficial to the City, but not at this location. We totally disagree with your assertion that it "building is good for the area ." To the contrary, the negative impact on the residents, businesses and visitors to the area would be totally unacceptable for a variety of reasons. The negative impact on Landmark buildings and other low-scale buildings in the vicinity is a paramount concern for us. The loss of light and air quality from this and other developments in the area, traffic congestion and emergency vehicle access are among them
    Perhaps you should devote your energies to suggesting alternative sites to the developer if you want to see this building materialize. Unfortunately, we have decided that this is a "gift" with an extraordinarily high price tag for us.
    Howard Mendes, Chair
    Landmarks Committee
    Community Board Five

Please don't make a mistake by voting this project down. A world class architect is bringing you a real NY Icon/Landmark building and your subcommittee is trying to shoot it down. This building is not only beautiful but also will provide an extraordinary opportunity to put one of the most amazing buildings in the world into the NY skyline. The building is good for the area and good for the economy, especially at a time like this. The project would create construction jobs and bring more influential people into this city. We need our local economy to move forward considering the problems the rest of our country is facing. This is a world class city; Midtown Manhattan has more 800 FT buildings then any other area in the world, the argument that this building does not fit into the context of the area has no ground. This is the most perfect place to put such a glorious building. The area is not Brownstone Brooklyn, Soho, or low rise. This is a high rise area.

Don't mess up the opportunity for all NY'ers to take pride in getting a gift that we haven't received since the Chrysler Building. This is a once in a lifetime gift. We have not received such a gift in over 70 years. Its time for NY to show the world again that we are progressing forward and that we are as innovative as we were when we built the Empire State Building.