Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Chase Manhattan Plaza - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Fans of this building will be interested in finding a copy of the classic book, "High Steel, Hard Rock, and Deep Water," available today only online or via an antiquarian bookstore. The book features an entire section of the construction of the then-named Chase Manhattan Bank building. Terrific black and white photographs. My wife found it for me, online, a few years back, and it now sits in my humble collection of architecture books. Highly recommended book, even if you don't like the Chase Manhattan Bank building...excuse me, One Chase Manhattan Plaza.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzee View Post
    The landmarks Committee voted today - 1 Chase Manhattan is now officially a New York City Landmark
    An absolute DISGRACE.

One of the most misused civic protections ever produced.

I guess it is a landmark in its raw definition....a dubious landmark of the decline in archtiectural design, the begginings of what would end up being an invasion of boxes into the NYC skyline.

But inthe spirit of the original purpose of the LMC, Landmarks ought to be celebrated for being with us forever, not lamented.

Wow, you did a full circle on that ^ one

Life doesnt afford us straight lines.... only convolutions. And yes sometimes even circular. But the last line clarifies that the message is still the same.

Banned Member

You might actually be in a "figure 8" and on your way back to the original conclusion.

Banned Member

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Ugh. This thing belongs on Sixth Ave between 47th and 53rd.

I agree, this building and 60 Wall St. simply does not belong in the crowded, borderline claustrophobia-inducing setting that is the Financial District. Plop it on the site of one of the Rockefeller extension buildings and it'll be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvick2933 View Post
    I agree, this building and 60 Wall St. simply does not belong in the crowded, borderline claustrophobia-inducing setting that is the Financial District.
    Maybe not the building, but the plaza is the perfect spot for open space in a confined business district.

Except for the NE side where the street slopes down, it connects very well with the surrounding area. Has hosted Dine Around Downtown for several years.

Along with the open space along 140 Broadway and Liberty Park, forms a good connection to the WTC site. A nice framed view of 70 Pine.

Although out of place, the building looks good up close. To my eye, it's very Manhattan. On balance, I'm not at all upset with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    Ugh. This thing belongs on Sixth Ave between 47th and 53rd.
    I think this too..I also think this about 20 other buildings in the city

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Although out of place, the building looks good up close.
    Too bad it's so darn BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Maybe not the building, but the plaza is the perfect spot for open space in a confined business district.

Except for the NE side where the street slopes down, it connects very well with the surrounding area. Has hosted Dine Around Downtown for several years.
    Having open spaces in the crowded Financial District is certainly a good thing, and the plaza space of 1 Chase, if done right, could've greatly benefitted the area. However, what annoys me the most about the plaza is the fact it's elevated half a storey above street level, thus creating a feeling of disconnect between it and its surroundings.

The only part of the plaza that's substantially raised from the street is the northeast quadrant, due to the downward slope of William and Liberty Sts. To be fair, the Federal Reserve Building across the street presents nothing to pedestrians.

There's good access along Nassau and Pine Sts, and the newly renovated 2 CMP sits directly on the plaza. If I were to change anything, it would be to widen the staircase at Cedar and William.

They have the Liberty St. side closed off, so the disconnect on that side is both at plaza level and at street level.

I worked in the building for about 7 years and always enjoyed the interior and exterior spaces. I once had an office on the 44th floor looking out over NY harbor with clear unobstructed views of the Woolworth building on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other. Really breadth taking stuff. The views from the 60th floor board space were even more incredible.

Although not as elegant as Woolworth or AIG, I believe the building warrants Landmark status for the reasons highlighted by some of what its advocates have already posted on this thread. It has significant historical architectural importance. The use of the exterior plaza space was quite innovative in its time, and remains popular to employees of both Chase and other nearby firms. The artwork in the Plaza has always puzzled me, but it is interesting. The building has clean lines and has a neat look when viewed upon up close up, although not nearly as nicely from a distance.

It should also be noted that the building across the plaza, which is being renovated for residential condo use, was formerly known as 2 Chase Plaza and is in and of itself very elegant. Before the conversion, the lobby of the building featured beautiful Italian marble and old fashioned brass elevators. I used to love that building.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast