Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mile-High tower for SA?

lol. when i saw "SA" i was thinking san antonio

Forum Veteran

Kingdom Holding gets nod to build tallest tower
    Elevator will take 12 minutes to reach to the top of mile-high Kingdom Tower
    Published Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kingdom Holding Company, owned by billionaire Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal, has got approval to build the world’s tallest tower – Kingdom Tower – near Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

According to The Saudi Gazette, the go ahead has been given for the mile high tower to be built by the Kingdom Holding. But a report quoting, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture that had earlier been involved in designing the project said it is “definitely not working on the design.”

Meanwhile, according to The Gazette it would take an elevator 12 minutes to reach the top of the $30-billion tower. The tower will nearly be double the height of the 828-metre Burj Khalifa in Dubai and will include office, hotel and residential units.

The paper also said that the new tower will be located in a new city that would be specifically built around the tower in Obhur, just outside of the port city of Jeddah. The 8.9-square-mile city will be able to accommodate 80,000 people and over a million visitors.

Although the report indicated that the tower would be designed by Adrian Smith, who also designed the Burj Khalifa, a report in Wired.co.uk quoting the Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture said that the firm is "definitely not working on a mile-high tower design", and the reports are based on anonymous and unofficial sources.

http://www.emirates247.com/property/...04-13-1.380638

This tower may be announced in June at Cityscape Jeddah or in the fall as some forumer stated in another site. This forumer supposedly knows an insider who is working for the developer.

I believe, unless proven or announced by Kingdom Holdings, the Kingdom Tower will exceed 1km and probably reach 1100m. I presently doubt it's "Mile High" claim status. If by this fall the project does not go into active progress then it is nothing but a stale proposal. I hope for 1 mile but I give it a 50/50 chance of it ever going up. This is a pure ego tower but nonetheless it is a superscraper, which is what most of us love to see go up including myself.

Forum Veteran

completely nuts, I love it

Forum Veteran

And in case nobody clicked through that link, this project is a GO and has been given the green light. Won't make it 1 mile, but will stand at 3,281 feet (about 2.4 times the new World Trade 1). Estimated cost? $1.2 Billion, which in NYC terms is a ridiculous bargain. Scheduled to open in 5 years, book your flights now

Random Personality

For my tastes, all it has going for it is its height. Architectually it seems dull and it has no human scale, not to mention it has the plaza the size of the Meadowlands parking lot.

Between this and the Burj Dubai, it has killed my interest in what the tallest building in the world is.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Especially when you consider they're made with slave labor.

The links given mark this tower as 1 km high, not 1 mile high. Whis is it really?

Forum Veteran

The final design is just over 1000 m. The 1 mile proposal was more of a publicity stunt, instead it'll be a puny kilometer!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12