Thread: Suggested Walking tours

Default Suggested Walking tours

After a lazy holiday season Im looking to get back out and explore. Im looking for suggested walking tours I can undertake on a Sunday afternoon. The neighbourhood, which streets to walk down and any landmarks/ special buildings, places I should make sure i dont miss. Much appreciated!

How about The Grand Concourse?
    Get off at the 149th St (interesting station to explore), and walk up to Fordam Road.

The Dude Abides

PM ablarc.

If you are to a culinary walking tour, here is one I found on Chowhound.com, posted by RGR:

For the quintessential NYC deli experiences, no place beats Katz's, on the corner of Houston (pronounced "how-stun") & Ludlow Sts. You're there specifically for the pastrami sandwich. When you enter, you will be given a ticket. Instead of opting for table service, do what the "natives" do and get on line for counter service. When you reach the counter, put a $1 for each sandwich in the counterman's tip cup and order pastrami on rye. He'll give you a piece to taste. If you like it (the best pastrami is juicy and has some fat on it), tell him o.k., and he'll make your sandwich, give you some sour pickles, and punch your ticket. Then, continue along the counter for sides – the cole slaw is good -- and drinks. Find seats at a table in the center of the room. (Tables along the wall have menus on them and are reserved for waiter service.) When you’re done, take your ticket to the cashier in front. It's cash only. Note: For the purposes of this tour, unless you have a gargantuan appetite, it would be best to share one sandwich in order to leave room for more tastings along the way.

When you exit Katz’s, turn left and continue along the same side of Houston St. You will come to Russ & Daughters, famous for all sorts of smoked fish and many other goodies. It's not a restaurant, but they make sandwiches to go.

After leaving the Russes, continue west a couple of blocks until you reach Yonah Schimmel's. Get a tasty potato knish, and make sure to ask them to heat it up.

Now it’s time for the quintessential NY drink – the egg cream. So, reverse yourself and head east on Houston until you come to Avenue A. Turn left, heading north, until you get to the block between 7th St. and St. Mark’s Place. Look for a hole-in-the-wall candy shop (no name, but an overhead sign says "Belgian Waffles"), where one of the women behind the counter will make you a delicious chocolate egg cream.

When you’re finished licking your lips, go back to Houston St. and make a left (east) one block to Norfolk St. Turn right and walk down Norfolk until it ends at Grand St. Two places to look for at the corner of Grand and Norfolk: Kossar's, for freshly baked bialys (another very NY food) and the Donut Plant (self-explanatory).

Next, walking west along Grand St., you will come to Orchard St. Turn right. At 87 Orchard, snack on a pickle from Gus's World Famous Pickles. Then, continue to 97 Orchard, b/t Broome & Delancey, where you will find the Tenement Museum. The tour will show you what life was like for immigrants to NYC at the beginning of the 20th century. (www.tenement.org)

Finish up this gustatory adventure with a stop at Il Laboratorio del Gelato, at 95 Orchard.

Default Thanks....

Sounds great! I'll do it!!

A culinary walking tour, eh? Sounds odd, but...I guess you burn off the calories from stopping and snacking! Looks to be a great line-up, some places I've never been

Looks like an interesting tour pacz. Being that I am into the culinary arts (as well as graphic design/photography), I might have to look into this.

Thanks!
    Ben

I like the sound of this.

Nice tour pacz! That's a mean appetite to make it all the way through
    I haven' t tried the gelato place yet but I keep hearing about it.

Sounds awesome pacz, thanks!

Alonzo, this is a night walk, but I think it would make a good Sunday morning walk if you picked out the parts of it that you wanted. You could start from Verdi Square subway at Broadway and 72nd.

MY MANHATTAN; Deep in the Night, When You Can Walk in Beauty

By SANDEE BRAWARSKY
    Published: August 23, 2002

Hiking purists might disagree, but New York at night, very late at night, is a great setting for a long walk at a fast pace. In summer the heaviness of the daytime air can weigh down the bounce in anyone's step. But at night an unexpected breeze can inspire walkers to tread again on city sidewalks. Best traversed after midnight when they're mostly quiet, the streets become a wide open, well-lighted trail system, unfolding an urban version of awesome beauty.

When I tell people that I love to walk in what for them is the middle of the night, they assume I'm an insomniac. But I sleep well; it's curiosity more than restlessness that drives me on these occasional New York adventures. While I enjoy the energy of early morning and the sweet melancholy of dusk, there's something tender and enchanting about being out in the deep hours of the night. I'm with Sky Masterson in ''Guys and Dolls,'' who croons, ''My time of day is the dark time,'' although he was using the time not to hike but to roll the dice into the wee hours.

A friend who prefers the sight of a pillow calls this not-yet-trendy pursuit ''(instead of) sleep walking.'' It's wisely practiced on well-traveled blocks, applying a shade more than the usual daytime street precautions and a variable stride that allows for admiring the view. I feel safe, but if you don't mention this article to my parents, that would be fine.

It turns out that night in New York isn't all that dark. Floodlights illuminate the facades of many buildings, streetlights cause the mica chips in sidewalks to glitter and taxi headlights glare. Interior lights in buildings flicking on and off create a shifting checkerboard of light across the walls of windows and suggest many stories of the people inside. Although black, white, gray and beige dominate the scenery, color bursts from the fluorescent-lighted all-night grocers, with their outdoor flower displays, and also from the neon signs of Times Square, visible even from a distance.

My nocturnal wanderings feel like backstage tours of the city when the cast is mostly dispersed but the stage lights are still on. I'm always pleased to visit another neighborhood and then walk back to the Upper West Side, but some nights I set out from nearby Broadway and explore. At any hour there are more than a few people walking, some heading home and others to 24-hour shops. Technically, late night is really a new day, but on the street the hours feel more as if they belong to the day that's closing. The momentum is that of winding down, coasting home; it's a slow dance before the caffeinated rush hour begins.

I'm drawn to the aura of the streets, how architecture and nature appear transformed at night. ''The night has a way of surrounding things, and the extraneous details fall away,'' says Susan Kleckner, an artist and educator who pioneered the course ''New York at Night'' at the International Center of Photography. She loves the night, ''when the imagination is most free to play, a time when thoughts can go out and travel farther before they bounce back at you.''

On many summer nights, my route south begins soon after midnight near the century-old Ansonia Hotel, now an apartment building whose robust opulence extends from 73rd to 74th Street, where Babe Ruth, Arturo Toscanini, Igor Stravinsky and Florenz Ziegfeld once stayed. Sometimes a purple light glows in one of the side turrets, adding to the sense of mystery that pervades the night. Across Broadway, the Apple Bank for Savings, formerly the Central Savings Bank, a structure built in the 1920's, looks more like an Italian Renaissance palace than a bank; its arched windows are resplendent in yellow light and shadow.

For those whose sidewalk experience is enhanced by noshing and shopping, whatever the hour, a first stop might be Gray's Papaya, where the smell of grilled hot dogs spills out onto 72nd Street. A dollar yields change; hot dogs cost 75 cents, and a small cup of papaya juice is 85 cents. Going south on Broadway, one can buy cosmetics at Duane Reade and a pint of ice cream at the Food Emporium or stop in for a Greek omelet or an espresso at the West Side Restaurant. A street bookseller leaves his table of books on display; I'd interview him but he's fallen asleep in a beach chair.

Sometimes dog walkers, bicyclists, runners and in-line skaters appear. One of the pleasures of late walking is the uncrowding: there's no need to weave around slower walkers, no abrupt stops for baby carriages, no collisions; street etiquette is simple. I like to walk fast and it's easy to accelerate at night. And to be the sole person on an entire block somehow feels empowering.

</H1>The island dividing Broadway is filled with trees and flowers, and often people sit and read by streetlight or sleep on the benches, undisturbed by the traffic. Some sidewalks, too, are lined with trees, including many Callery pears, whose white blossoms shimmer on spring nights. On Broadway between 66th and 67th Streets, honeylocust trees are each enclosed in a square of foliage, lighted by a single spotlight, creating a still life of a young tree, yew bushes, red impatiens, coleus and willowy redgrass. The soft, cooling breeze, visible in the leaves, feels great on my face, and it's easy to imagine why fire escapes were a late-night respite in the days before air-conditioning.

Night walks prompt new ideas, and I savor the quiet moments, often broken by the roar of a passing bus or the clanging of the many private carting trucks collecting garbage. Late-night traffic can also yield surprises. Although trucks are not limited in using upper Broadway during the day -- it's a local truck route -- drivers with large loads might choose late night to pass through. I've seen a convoy of prefabricated homes go by and flatbed trucks piled with enormous pipes.

You might expect Lincoln Center to look spectacular, but its architectural lighting, like that at many major buildings around the city, is turned off after midnight. A huge American flag hanging at the Metropolitan Opera is one of many along the route. The new home for Jazz at Lincoln Center is being built a few blocks south as part of a twin tower complex at Columbus Circle.

Adjacent to the construction site, on Eighth Avenue near 59th Street, the Original Dixieland Jazz Band made its debut in 1917 at a well-known late-night club called Reisenweber's Cafe.

At Columbus Circle, a large, stainless steel, skeletal globe recalling the Unisphere at the 1964 World's Fair is most prominent, glistening outside the Trump International Hotel, formerly the Gulf & Western Building. Behind it, at the southwest entrance to Central Park on 59th Street, the gold figure of a woman in a seashell chariot drawn by three sea horses, on top of the Maine Monument, comes into view. Built in memory of the sailors killed when the battleship Maine exploded in Havana harbor in 1898, the sculpture of Columbia Triumphant is cast in bronze salvaged from the ship.

Although it's alluring, I don't enter Central Park but stay close to its edge, following the hexagonal asphalt tiles that replace the pavement around the corner onto Central Park South. At night the park, lighted with its distinctive luminaires, looks magnificent, even mystical, perhaps less ordered than the landscape Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux conceived. The curved trunk of a Norway maple tree, on a slope near the retaining wall at Seventh Avenue, is covered with vines and looks dressed, as if it were a tribal warrior descending a hill.

Several horses and carriages linger along Central Park South, waiting for passengers; most return to their stables by 2 a.m. One black horse resembles the larger-than-life sculptural version that Simon Bolívar is riding on a tall pedestal at Avenue of the Americas. A doorman tells me that he has seen horses break lose and gallop across Central Park South late at night as their drivers were packing up for the day.

The serpentine pond across the street from the Plaza Hotel is magical, as its surrounding lamps cast radiant white lines onto the surface. This is the most dreamlike view of the evening. Turning right onto Fifth Avenue, I pass Grand Army Plaza and the Pulitzer Fountain, and on the pavement outside Bergdorf Goodman, at 58th Street, I find a perfect long-stemmed rose.

Fifth Avenue feels as if someone turned the lights up a notch or two. The street used to be lined with mansions, and those that still stand are now shops and offices. Gold and jewels are removed from their displays, but otherwise the night is ideal for window shopping. These days fall colors like plum and bronze dominate, along with luxurious leather and wool fabrics.

Although you can see your own reflection in the store windows, at night the glass seems kinder, flashing back an image that's more evanescent. Henri Bendel's, between 55th and 56th Streets, is worth a detour across the street to glance back at the original Lalique etched glasswork on the upper floors, commissioned in 1912 when the building housed the French perfumer François Coty.

The corner of 55th Street has two grand hotels, the St. Regis and the Peninsula, while across the street, on the sheltered steps of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, people are in sleeping bags and corrugated boxes. On 54th Street, just east of Fifth, the elegant Banco di Napoli Building was commissioned as a home in 1900 by W. E .D. Stokes, who built the Ansonia. The two buildings are as different as, forgive me, night and day.

At St. Patrick's Cathedral, which takes up the entire block between 50th and 51st Streets, a tour group from Spain is admiring the refined Gothic structure, which was dedicated in 1879, after 20 years of construction, interrupted by the Civil War. A young fellow lies down to photograph the soaring twin spires, and then explains that they've chosen this hour for sightseeing because there's so much they want to see.

The Spaniards head off to Tiffany's, and I sit down on the steps, finding moments of silence and peacefulness between the passing clusters of mostly empty taxis. I pause before heading back, by cab or on foot, less than an hour after setting out, and the steps are a good perch for eyeing some Rockefeller Center skyscrapers, the gold crown capping the Crown Building, at 57th Street, and the corner windows of Saks, at 50th Street.

But it's Atlas, directly across Fifth Avenue, who holds my gaze. The muscular bronze Titan, weighing 4,000 pounds, is balancing the world -- represented by four interlocking spheres -- on his shoulders. He's a beacon in the New York night, reminding us of the interconnectedness of humanity and urging us to grasp this world and these moments with strength and grace.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company.
    Last edited by brianac; March 9th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.

Default I am an Australian traveler

Hi everybody, I am 26 years old and I am an Australian traveler. I and some relatives have a plan to travel to Korea on August. The price of local travel agent cost so much. So anyone can suggest me any Local travel agent which I can contact to arrange a city tour and accommodation for our traveling in Korea? Anyone know any local travel agent or city tourguideinSeoul? Thanks in advance if you help.
    Last edited by alexiajeorge; May 2nd, 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Default 90-Minute Walk in Greenwich Village and SoHo

This walking tour is in a tourist guide book that I got before I went to NY in March and I figured I'd share this one. I'm typing it out of the book, so that's why it's taking so long. Enjoy...

---

West 10th Street
    The junction of 8th Street and 6th Avenue has many book, music, and clothing stores nearby. Walk up Sixth to West Ninth Street to see Jefferson Market Courthouse.

Turn right at West 10th Street to the Alexander Onassis Center for Hellenic Studies. A passageway at the front once led up to the Tile Club, a gathering place for the artists of the Tenth Street Studio, where Augustus Saint-Gaudens, John LaFarge, and Winslow Homer lived. Mark Twain lived at 24 West 10th Street, and Edward Albee at 50 West 10th.

Back across Sixth Avenue is Milligan Place, with 19th-century houses, and Patchin Place, where the poets e e cummings and John Masefield both lived. Father on is the site of the Ninth Circle bar which when it opened in 1898 was known as "Regnaneschi's." It was the subject of John Sloan's painting Regnaneschi's Saturday Night. Playwright Edward Albee first saw the question "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?" scrawled on a mirror here.

Greenwich Village
    Turn left at Waverly Place past the Three Lives Book store, a typical Village literary gathering spot, to Christopher Street and to the triangular Northern Dispensary.

Follow Grove Street along Christopher Park to Sheridan Square, the busy hub of the Village. The Circle Repertory Theater, which premiered plays by Pulitzer Prizewinner Lanford Wilson, is now closed.

Cross Seventh Avenue and bear left on to Grove Street. At the corner of Bedford Street, you can't miss "Twin Peaks", a home for artists in the 1920s. Turn right to see Bedford: the unmarked door is Chumley's (86), a saloon not much changed since 1928 when it was a speakeasy. Writers Dylan Thomas, Simone de Beauvoir, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, J.D. Salinger, Jack Kerouac, and many others drank here. Covers of their books line the walls. 75 1/2 Bedford is the narrowest house in the Village, and was once the home of feminist poet Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Walk up Carmine to Sixth Avenue and turn right at Waverly Place. At 116 Waverly, Anne Charlotte Lynch, an English teacher, held weekly gatherings in her town house for such eminent friends as Herman Melville and Edgar Allen Poe, who gave his first reading of The Raven here.

A detour left of half a block will bring you to MacDougal Alley, a lane of carriage houses in which Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney had her studio. She oped the first Whitney Museum here in 1932, just behind the studio.

Pause at Fifth Avenue to look back at Washington Square Park, with its famous Washington Square Arch. Go across to Two Fifth Avenue; opposite is Washington Mews, an elegant carriage house complex. John Dos Passos, Edward Hopper, and Rockwell Kent lived in the studio at No. 14a at various times.

Go back up Washington Square North, past some elegant houses. Writer Edith Wharton lived at 7 Washington Square North. Now walk beneath the arch and across Washington Square Park. On the left as you leave the park, is the fine Judson Memorial Church and Tower by Standford White and the NYU Loeb Student Center. The Center was once a boarding house, known as the "house of genius," and is where Theodore Dreiser wrote An American Tragedy.

SoHo
    Walk south on Thompson, a typical Village street lined with clubs, cafes, and shops. Turn left at Houston, SoHo's northern limit, and right on West Broadway, lined with some of the city's most famous galleries along with a large number of chic and arty boutiques.

Turn left at Spring Street for yet more tempting shops, then right at Greene Street, which is the heart of the Cast-Iron Historic District. Many of these fine buildings now house clusters of art galleries.

Turn left at the end of Greene Street to Canal Street, the end of SoHo, to see how quickly the atmosphere of New York can change. This noisy street is full of hawkers and discount electronics stores. You can explore bargains for the next two blocks and then turn left up Broadway. Keen shoppers can turn right on Spring Street for NoLita, featuring clothes by trendy, aspiring designers.

Default 90-Minute Waterfront Walk

This is one of my favorite "guided" tours and one that I will be doing when I return.

---

Battery Park City
    Begin your walk on the Esplanade near Rector Place Park, just west of the Rector Street subway stop. Across the Hudson River looms the New Jersey skyline. Stroll toward the South Cove, where you'll catch sight, as did more than 100 million immigrants on their arrival, of Lady Liberty herself. Explore Robert F. Wagner, Jr. Park, named after a former New York City major. The leafy acres of grassy slopes, linden trees, and inviting pavilions are an important link in Lower Manhattan's waterfront "greenbelt." Climb to the Wagner Park lookout point for visasts of the Hudson River. Here, information panelts chronicle New York City's seafaring history when grand schnooners and coastal packets plied these waters.

Battery Place
    On Battery Place, visit the Museum of Jewish Heritage and its outdoor Garden of Stones, a clam, elegant space of dwarf oak saplings growing out of boulders. Since Manhattan is the undisputed king of tall buildings, pay homage at the sleek Skyscraper Museum, a marvel in stainless steel. Admire skyscraper history and current designs from around the world, as well as the original model, created in 1971, of the former World Trade Center.

Battery Park
    On our way to nearby Battery Park, check out Pier A, which is all that remains of the 1886 grand marine firehouse. Important visitors who arrived by sea were once greeted with festive jets of water pumped into the sky by the fireboats. The clock on the pier tower used to keep time to the maritime system - eight bells and all's well. Continue along the waterfront, looking out for the American Merchant Mariners Memorial, a haunting sculpture of soldeiers pulling a desperate comrade out of the waters, based on photographs of a World War II attack on an American ship. Head past Castle Clinton moniment, a fort built during the War of 1812. It later became an opera house, theater, and aquarium, but is now a museum. Stroll through the park where you can relax on benches in the shade of trees. Continue on to State Street, turn right on Whitehall, and then left onto South Street, passing the graceful Beaux-Arts Battery Maritime Building.

South Street Seaport
    Follow South Street, with the Brooklyn Bridge in the distance. Walk through the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza with its glass memorial etched with the poignant words from soldiers to their loved ones. Head north on Water Street, so named because it marks what was once the water's edge, the past Old Slip; all streets named "slip" are where boats used to dock between piers. Look west up the famed Wall Street as you cross it, for a view of the spires of Trinity Church. Turn right at Maiden Lane, then left onto the quaint and cobblestoned Front Street, which feeds into South Street Seaport, marked by the wooden masts and sails of the tall ships in the harbor. Explore New York's seafaring history at the South Street Seaport Museum, and then wander the shop-lined Fulton Street to Water Street. Take a peek into Bowne & Co. Stationers at 211, a charming old-fashioned print ship with 19th-century antique hand presses. Amble toward Pier 16 for a further glimpse of the past at a Maritime Crafts Center where painters and carvers work at figureheads and carvings. Continue on to Pier 17, bustling with shops and cafes. As you walk the wooden pier, look back for a memorable view of Manhattan - the masts of ancient schooners against the city's towering skyscrapers. Finish up at the inviting Paris Cafe in the 1873 Meyer's Hotel.

Default Walking Tours - New York Architecture