Thread: moving to NYC for internship. need tips for where to live

Default moving to NYC for internship. need tips for where to live

I'm moving to NYC for an internship for the summer and I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions on safe places to live? My mom and I have both been looking around online... I'd be fine with getting a studio apartment alone or even finding a roommate, but my mom's more of a "cheap" person I guess you'd say. Please help, thanks.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Your question is too broad.

You would have to provide more information such as where you will be working, how much commuting you're willing to put up with, how much you're willing to spend, what kind of neighborhood you like and so on.

Without these it would be nearly impossible for anyone to make a good recommendation.

NY has become very safe. Every year, it always get the title of the "safest big city." It would be far easier to tell you which neighborhoods aren't safe than which ones are.

ok thanks, my internship is on Canal Street. I don't want to give out the exact number addrss. Personaly I'd probably be fine with a 20 to 30 minute commute. I'd be willing to spend around a $1,000 or $1,500 at the most.... I'm not farmiliar with neighborhoods there but I'd probably like something that's busy, and well lit after dark.

I forgot to mention... my mom would probably rather spend anywhere under $1,000 if that's at all possible. and if you could reccomend any already furnished places, that'd be fine too.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default I'm thinking Astoria

with a roommate.

Under $1000, living by yourself and furnished would be very hard to come by.

You're going to have to do the roommates thing as suggested above and in the outer boroughs such as Brooklyn and Queens.

When you're young and new to the city, roommates is really the ideal way to go.

Canal St. is in Lower Manhattan with a large part of it running through Chinatown/Little Italy/Tribeca/Soho just so you'll know.

Thanks... so since I'm still out-of-state at the moment where would you suggest the best place online to find/contact potential roommates? I've checked NYT online but some places don't specify gender, and obviously since I'm a female living alone I'd want to room with another female.

Check out craigslist.

Does the place where you are going to intern have a H.R. type person? They could probably help you.

okay so my supervisor called me just now...and the address is actualy different from the one I'd said yesterday. The one I got yesterday was from their website,....but today she'd told me that where I'll be interning is on 9th ave. (between 15 & 16th street), so is that a completely different area from what I'd mentioned yesterday?

It's about a 30 minute walk away.

okay....if you don't mind me asking a few more questions... since I've read on here that the areas to avoid are easy to list, than which areas would be best to avoid living in?
    and as far as CraigsList is concerned, are there any companies or advertisers in particular to avoid? b/c I was just looking at some of the listings and a lot of places seem really, really affordable... almost too affordable for NYC from what I gather.

Default Best prices in Manhattan (extremely safe)

very simplified, are around 1st Ave/York in the upper 80's to around 96th st. If you found a share in a walkup building you might find your price range. Otherwise there's Queens or NJ. Sorry I am not up on brokers.