Thread: Moving help YO

Default Moving help YO

I'm a recent college grad looking to move to Queens or Brooklyn, cause lets face it, livin in the city is a stretch.

Where should I look for cheap places to live? I don't mind roommates, just the area, because I went to school in Newark and am from Utica (ghetto) and im flat out tired of it. I've also looked into Jersey since thats where I went to school and know just as good as the city.

Spent alot of time in the city for a few years, saw the best places and the worst but I just wanna be somewhere fairly cheap and convenient. Wburg sounds good and I like the scene there, and you're a quick stop on the L.

I got a BA and im looking for jobs between 35-40k/year. How reasonable is this amount of money and living in NYC?

Thanks
    ________
    Depression advice
    Last edited by RS085; February 26th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.

one more thing, Teaching Fellows, good or bad idea?

Ive heard mixed reviews from many friends who have done it.
    ________
    Yamaha Raptor 660 Specifications
    Last edited by RS085; February 26th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.

Brooklyn and Queens are in the city. You can survive on that amount of money if you live with roommates.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Brooklyn and Queens are in the city.

Obviously..

but the city is more synonymous with Manhattan. I don't think people say im goin to the city and hop on the train to the Bronx.

Especially those that live in the 5 boros. Well, I got one side of the family that does it at least.
    ________
    Weedmaps
    Last edited by RS085; February 26th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
    Obviously..

but the city is more synonymous with Manhattan. I don't think people say im goin to the city and hop on the train to the Bronx.
    No, because if you hopped on the train, you'd already be in the city. Small point, but if you plan on living here, learn it.

RS, i know what you are saying. In-laws from Queens say the same thing. They are in the city, but they say they are going into the city, or into manhattan. To them it is one and the same.

Do a couple of searches of the forum, you can probably find some recommendations from others that were looking for pieces of what you are (cheap rent, decent area, convenient).

I would say that areas of Harlem might be attainable, especially along the A line, and that Red Hook, although a bit hard to get to, is more affordable that the desirable areas of Park Slope and the Heights. Queens? That is a tough one. Areas like Kew Gardens and forest Hills are nice, but even the so-so areas there are expensive now. Food can be gotten relatively cheap, but rent may not be so easy. Look on Craig's List to see if you can find some "unofficial" boarding houses (people renting their extra room, etc etc).

Jersey city also has some nice areas, so you may want to check out the areas within walking distance of the path stops. All others may be accessable by bus, but that can be a PITA. JC Heights is also nice, but $$ as well.

Schade is right though, a roommate may be the best way to start out...

Oh, I would say Hoboken is great, but it is VERY expensive. Rent control is still in effect on the older buildings, but they will not tell you that. Best bet is to get a place in an older building, then call City Hall for a rent check. I had my place for $700/$750 a month (650SF) a few years back, and other friends have gotten similar once they checked.

It does not make you best friends with the landlord, however.......

Anyway, GL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    No, because if you hopped on the train, you'd already be in the city. Small point, but if you plan on living here, learn it.
    a) You're just being technical.

b) Born in Brooklyn, raised upstate, and plan on going back. I think I know a thing or two about it.
    ________
    Bmw s65 history

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    RS, i know what you are saying. In-laws from Queens say the same thing. They are in the city, but they say they are going into the city, or into manhattan. To them it is one and the same.
    Thank you.
    ________
    Honda VFR800 specifications

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

Do a couple of searches of the forum, you can probably find some recommendations from others that were looking for pieces of what you are (cheap rent, decent area, convenient).

I would say that areas of Harlem might be attainable, especially along the A line, and that Red Hook, although a bit hard to get to, is more affordable that the desirable areas of Park Slope and the Heights. Queens? That is a tough one. Areas like Kew Gardens and forest Hills are nice, but even the so-so areas there are expensive now. Food can be gotten relatively cheap, but rent may not be so easy. Look on Craig's List to see if you can find some "unofficial" boarding houses (people renting their extra room, etc etc).

Jersey city also has some nice areas, so you may want to check out the areas within walking distance of the path stops. All others may be accessable by bus, but that can be a PITA. JC Heights is also nice, but $$ as well.

Schade is right though, a roommate may be the best way to start out...

Oh, I would say Hoboken is great, but it is VERY expensive. Rent control is still in effect on the older buildings, but they will not tell you that. Best bet is to get a place in an older building, then call City Hall for a rent check. I had my place for $700/$750 a month (650SF) a few years back, and other friends have gotten similar once they checked.

It does not make you best friends with the landlord, however.......

Anyway, GL!!!

I just graduated from Kean, so I know all about Jersey City/Hoboken. I gotta get going right now but ill be back on later, but thanks alot for your input!!
    ________
    XJR-9